The Hunt: Ammo

NO way…

Supply finally seems to be slowly increasing. Now if folks who don’t really need it will stop buying for a little bit prices may start coming down as well. But I don’t think we will see the lower prices of the past for a long time, if ever. The bill for decades of monopoly money printing is coming due, likely sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

For those in WI, MN, IA, or SD, I’ve noticed lately that Fleet Farm has been getting ammo in on a weekly basis again. It goes fast, though and is usually gone by noon (except calibers like .224, 8mm mauser, etc., which last for a few days on the shelves). They say they don’t know when it’s going to be in, and usually find out as they are unloading the truck that day. They let you have 2 boxes per caliber, so 2 9mm, 2 30-30, etc. I picked up 100 rds of 9mm for 14.99/box range rounds, 325 .22 rds for 20 bucks, and some primers for 5 bucks/100. I am taking this as a good sign…hopefully.

1 Like

.224 Valkyrie, limit 2. I only know 2 people including myself that buy it. There should be no limit for me!

2 Likes

Please do not totally blame your retailer for the high prices.
I am an FFL here in WI and have been ordering from suppliers (for clients) whenever a ‘reasonable’ deal exists - I let my customers have at my cost, which after shipping, is still running over $0.75 per round and that is buying at 20 boxes at a time. That is better than a month ago, when they cost me (with shipping) a bit over $1 per.
If you are finding them at under $0.20 per round, then it would seem that the large retailers are in large part, the cause of the problem, since smaller dealers cannot compete with purchasing power and more often than not, are not even given the opportunity, since big buyers are essentially placing standing orders for everything (unknown quantities) that becomes available - I was told that by a suppliers rep. Same is happening with weapons.
Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Clive Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you. Thank you for adding value to the conversation. Good stuff!

Price of ammo is somewhat steep for using my 380 . Most times i only use 10-20 rounds. Keeping my skills up is more important than price sometimes! Thankful that 22LR and 9mm are more available. It’ getting better with ammo but like others here have said buy what you can when you can!!

4 Likes

@Kathy16 Welcome to the team and community. We are glad to have you!

2 Likes

If anyone is interested at ammo.com.

1. PolyFrang 9mm Ammo - 50 Rounds of 90 Grain Frangible Ammunition

91In stock now

1 Review

Image For 50 Rounds Of 90 Grain Frang. Boxer Brass 9mm Polyfrang Ammunition

$32.00Price

• Made by Polyfrang
  • 50 Rounds
  • 64¢ Cost Per Round
  • 90 Grain
  • Frang. Bullet
  • New Condition
  • Brass Casing
  • Boxer
  • TBD FPS Muzzle Velocity
  • TBD ft lbs Muzzle Energy
  • Polyfrang SKU pf9mm
  • UPC 865943000261
1 Like

Hello and welcome @Kathy16

2 Likes

I found a box of Federal 115 gr fmj HP 100ct on the shelf of a local mom and pop store just a couple weeks ago for $39.99. Gal said it had been there behind the counter on the shelf for years. I said give it to me lol!

4 Likes

@Thomas264 Welcome to the team and community! We are glad to have you. I would have said the same! Lol!

1 Like

I know there are a lot of Hornady CD fans here and I was surprised to bump into some of this rare ordnance.
Not cheap but not much worth having is.

2 Likes

It’s coming back. I’m afraid even if retail prices continue to inch down shipping costs will continue to inch up.

I just ordered three boxes of Winchester NATO FMJ from MidwayUSA, retail price at 70¢/round but with shipping it came to 85¢/round.

I don’t think that pipeline fiasco has really been felt by suppliers yet, either. Shipping costs are going up across the board.

1 Like

Ammo Inc. is building in my city of Manitowoc WI. I am trying to find out if we can buy directly from the plant. Wil let everyone know we i find out.

5 Likes

@Tim141 Thanks and welcome to the community. :us:

1 Like

@Tim141 . Welcome to the Community. And thx for info.
BTW… can you start digging underground tunnel from your house to that plant? :wink:

4 Likes

Federal Direct (vista outdoor) has/had both 9mm & .45acp American Eagle available earlier today. Limit 4 boxes of each.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! The 9mm is still too rich for my blood but I found some shotgun shells there that I needed.

1 Like

Hey @Tim141 Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you!