The difference between training and reality

Pretty much everyone I know that has been involved in a gunfight does not even remember the sound of the shots. Auditory exclusion during moments of high stress is real and a well understood phenomena. Just google it.

So the only worry you have during training is to protect your hearing as well as possible.

5 Likes

That’s what they try to do.

But, none of them actually can.

The NRR Rating is what you guys want to look for in hearing protection

You can look up the dB level of typical guns/rounds online, then look at the NRR of your hearing protection, and approximate-ish the resulting dB you will experience.

An AR15 type rifle in 5.56 for example often runs about 165 dB. Electronic earmuffs run 18-26 NRR typically. Passive earmuffs go up to about 31-33 NRR on the top end (the big boxy ones).

You are still way over 90 dB even with good earmuffs on, when shooting or around the shooting of a loud firearm.

This is why you still cause some degree of hearing damage, as Enzo points out, even with hearing protection.

5 Likes

A tip: NRR ratings are not additive; that is, if you have plugs rated for 22 and add muffs rated at 24, the result is not 46. Adding muffs and plugs together results in adding only about 5 to the higher of the two. Thus, in the above example you would get about 24+5 = 29 NRR.
#2 If you use both (as I do when on indoor ranges), no benefit to having both electronic. I recommend electronic muffs over passive plugs, because the muffs have directional microphones on each side to help you hear speakers.

When on a handgun range outdoors, I find electronic plugs adequate, and cooler than muffs in summer heat.

7 Likes

This information supports what Nathan and Craig have already said.

7 Likes

Good point and true. There is no perfect solution, only working hard on slowing down the damage. I try to minimize my exposure by mostly shooting alone as much as I can and almost exclusively outdoors.

I avoid public ranges as much as I can especially on weekends and shooting next to folks with short barreled rifles or pistols like ARs, AKs etc

5 Likes

A self defense situation is what it is. You will have to handle it as you’ve trained. There is most probably NO time to put on hearing protection unless the encounter is at home, and you have them ready on your nightstand AND you have the time to prepare. This is a VERY tiny percentage scenario. And again, google “Auditory Exclusion” and just stop worrying about it.

6 Likes

Yes.

Protect your hearing any and every time you can, do not worry about it when you can’t.

Or, anytime life/limb more significant than hearing damage on the line…don’t worry about hearing damage

5 Likes

I have killed several sets of in-ear walkers now. They just don’t seem to hold up for me. I also don’t care for the around the neck setup, as they really do not get along with rifle slings. they work fine for the pistols but as soon as i go to doing maneuver drills, throwing the rifle up over the shoulder for doorway transitions etc, I inevitably rip the wire out of the ear bud. I am pretty fond of my sordins tho

3 Likes

Have you checked on your hearing aids with your audiologist? I’m close to needing them and when I asked my guy said there are hearing aids that will shut down or cut out if they detect loud noises beyond a certain level. I’m not there yet but that’s what I’ll get when the time comes.

3 Likes

Which models if you don’t mind me asking? I had the old behind the ear models and they, well, sucked… One of them stopped working right after warrantee and Walker’s wouldn’t do anything about it so in the garbage the went. Those suckers were REALLY expensive back then so a waste of money. Took me a long time to get back to buying anything from them again, and I refused to buy anything that uses the button hearing aid batteries because I never have a set handy when I need them.

But I’ve been really happy with the rechargeable 2.0 with Bluetooth and they’ve been working flawlessly for a few years of relatively heavy use and not much love (they live in my Jeep in Nevada so well over 100 degree temps all the time).

2 Likes

Walker’S Lightweight Rechargeable Shooting Hunting Razor XV 3.0 https://a.co/d/09Za1H93

These. They’re fine just running pistol practice, it’s just that pesky rifle sling just doesn’t like them

3 Likes

I highly recommend these:
Walker’s Silencer 2.0 Bluetooth Rechargeable Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 24dB)

They are in sale right now for $119 which is a really good deal. And NO issues with slings. I recharge mine right off the USB plug in my Gladiator so they are always ready to rock.

3 Likes

I’d recommend not

2 Likes

You don’t like the idea to carry suppressed? :rofl:
I’m wondering if he keeps few grenades hanging on the belt…

1 Like

Appearances are likely to be a factor and carrying around a silencer on your defensive pistol is something that, as far as I can tell, would make you possibly the first person ever to use a silenced concealed carry pistol for home defense…talk about sticking your neck out and being a lightning rod for all things…would not want.

It’s also a practical issue in concealing a pistol with a silencer attached, longer draw times to get it all the way out when it’s that long, etc. Unless you carry them not attached in which case, why did you have time to put it on?

2 Likes

You can, it’s called a sling or cross body now and everybody (who is confident in themselves) uses them

3 Likes

I’ll have to order a pair of these to try out. Are they rubber or foam inserts? I’ve had issues with the rubber ones not creating a positive seal due to the shape of my ear canal. The ones I posted have the stiff foam rubber ends and they seal super well. The

Very stiff foam. Just like the foam ear plugs you kind of roll them between your fingers, insert and they expand to fill the ear canal. I do believe they also sell rubber earpieces for them too.

2 Likes

Some cool looking fanny packs out there nowadays. Or, over the shoulder small man bags. I like the ones which have much stronger straps and some have more of a rugged/camper look to them, which I kinda like. I got a couple. LOL.

2 Likes

I won’t carry a gun in a pack (not on-me enough for my preference), but I do like using a pack for an IFAK, sunglasses, chapstick, gum, stuff like that.

3 Likes