The Aftermath: The Importance of Calling 911 First

Welcome to Aftermath, a portion of our First Line email newsletter where Attorney Anthony L. DeWitt walks you through a real-life self-defense incident and shares his key takeaways.

A Phoenix homeowner was getting ready for the day at 7:30 in the morning when a pair of criminals decided to attempt a home invasion. The defender shot both men as they attempted to enter the house. Both men retreated but made it only as far as the front lawn before collapsing. Police received multiple 911 calls and were told on arrival that “the shooter” was inside the home. The police moved up and rescued the two home invaders. Paramedics took them to the hospital, where they died. Police then engaged with the homeowner. The two people in the home gave consistent statements and the homeowner was released.

What tactics or tools could have been used before having to shoot the home invaders? Have you mentally prepared to call 911, and do you know what to say?

6 Likes

Need more information to comment on what could have been done before having to shoot.

What did the homeowner/residents do? Were their doors locked? Did they have an alarm? Was it armed?

How did the home invaders physically gain entry? Actually…did the invaders gain entry? The post says they “attempted to enter the house”. Where were they when they were shot? Were they armed?

Yes, call 911. Read the back of the membership card if in doubt. Low resolution, high level info potentially per Tom Grieve in some of the USCCA videos.

7 Likes

Is it this?

6 Likes

I don’t think anything needs to change except be the first to call 911. Then get together with everybody in the house to give the same consistent message. Break into my home and I get to my EDC first, (if it’s not already on my hip) I’m shooting first.

What am I saying to 911? There has been a home invasion in my home. Send police and an ambulance. THEN HANG THE PHONE UP! 911 records as long as the line is open. Ppl have been convicted because they didn’t hang up.

7 Likes

Even reading the full story posted by @Nathan57 … there’s still not enough info to correctly answer questions.

If homeowner was released that meant his tactic was good and definitely worked.
Home invasion was stopped and no arrest was made. Happy ending.

I hope all of us are mentally prepared and know what to say calling 911.
Isn’t it the reason we carry USCCA card?

9 Likes

Not enough information to make a decision. In the heat of the moment it is difficult to call 911. According to the post you don’t know if they entered or not but that there was an attempt. You can’t assume whether they are armed or unarmed. Like I said more info/details are needed.

6 Likes

As others have stated there are not enough details to analyze the actions, except that it seems clear that the residents didn’t call 911 after the incident even though a fair amount of time likely elapsed before LEOs arrived and pulled the home invaders from the scene.

Fortunately the LEOs didn’t react aggressively to the incomplete information they received making it appear that the home invaders were the victims and the attackers were in the house.

Our plan is to call 911 ASAP. Ideally one of us will be calling while we respond to the threat if it is safe to do so. If not the call will be immediately after the threat is stopped.

7 Likes

Call 911. But understand that when the police show up, they are not there to gather proof that you acted properly. They are there to: (1) render aid to the injured; (2) confront any armed individuals and neutralize any potential threats; and, (3) gather evidence of any crime that may have been committed and make a report to be reviewed by prosecutors. They are not individuals who will prove your innocence, be careful what you say and how you act.

7 Likes

Note to self:

1. self-defense weapon, cellphone, and USCCA number must always be within reach.
  2. write USCCA phone number on the back of cellphone.
9 Likes

There has been a shooting at my house, the perpetrators entered my home and I felt my life was threaten, they are waiti g on the ground for the police!!

5 Likes

I would start with

Intruders entered my home

3 Likes

That’s too much information they will record. Don’t give them “ammo” to use against you! You don’t know what the DA will do. I used to believe the legal system was for the victims, not anymore. I’m going to record EVERYTHING when confronted by the police. That reminds me, I need to order a GoPro since my phone is ancient.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t answer questions. My attorney does that for me.

4 Likes

or have it on speed dial in your cell phone

4 Likes

Perfect Brother,
But just add CALL USCCA (Lawyers on my speed dial)…Get the ball rolling!
As I said previously, when the SHTF and you need that lawyer, if they don’t
seem interested go on down the line to the next. The one that makes YOU
their TOP PRIORTY! is the one you go with! No room for doubt here (My opinion)
Then when the Poe-Poe arrive I hope I say:
" I am ready to co-operate fully with your investigation of this outlandish assault on my Home and person by these criminal scu–ag’s, my firearm is across the room, unloaded, No you can’t search my house, WARRANT! WARRANT! WARRENT! and no I cannot answers your questions as yet my USCCA lawyer is on their way and then we will get on with the business @ hand. By the way do you have the number for Crime Scene Clean-up as their blood is now soaking into my Saltillo tile ?. I seem to have misplace the card from the last shoot.
Thank you Officer Krupky for not trampling my RIGHTS like the storm troopers I know you to be!

Coffee?
Donut’s?
(Cup of Sarcasm?)

2 Likes

Absolutely correct, Mark. Here is the sequence: Bad guys are breaking down your front door. As soon as a portion of a body shows itself inside your residence, you shoot. The bodies disappear. You dial 911 report the attempted break-in with shot fired. Hang up immediately, Call USCCO which you have on your speed dial. The voice that answers, according to my understanding is an attorney licensed to practice law in some state. When the cops arrive, you hand the phone to the responding officer and say absolutely nothing. Let the attorney or the representative, in case my understanding is incorrect do all the talking. Follow the officers instructions. If you are compelled to make an answer make it one word answers. DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION to any question asked. Answer only the question asked. If you do not understand the question fully, have the officer repeat it until it is crystal clear. If he continues to ask a foggy question, do not interpret what you think he means. Refuse to answer any question you don’t understand fully, Repeat: Do not interpret what you think he meant by the question. If it is a double question, ask him to ask one question at a time. Just tell him if any question seems to have a double meaning that you don’t understand the question, Can he rephrase it? Those are the same instructions your attorney will give you before you undergo a deposition. They are the same instructions your defense attorney will tell you before you take the stand to testify because you chose to be Chatty Charlie when the cops were there. Even asides to your relatives at the scene will be recorded and used against you in trial. KEEP YOUR LIPS ZIPPED.

5 Likes

If you are referring to USCCA, it is not an attorney that answers the phone. But they will put you to the Critical Response Team who can, if the situation warrants an attorney, reach out to an attorney of your choice or one from the USCCA Attorney Network.

You will cooperate 100%, but first you need to talk to your attorney (do not talk further without your attorney present)

3 Likes

Armed or not, they should not be in my home especially in early morning hours, and IF they were they’re getting shot. In my own home I should not have to wait to find out if they have firearms or knives, or any other weapons. They’re being in My home places me and my family at risk.

3 Likes

I’m with you on that it’s the Aftermath like the title says.

2 Likes

This is great advice and to drive home its importance let me ask you a question.

Do you know what color the sky is?
A: yes the sky is blue.

You just gave out too much info and didn’t understand the question. The correct answer is: yes I know the color of the sky or simply yes. If I’m ever questioned by police my only answer is going to be: I don’t answer questions without an attorney present. You might be held for a few hours or overnight but that is okay with me. It beats spending years in prison 24/7.

2 Likes