The Aftermath: Bad Facts, Good Outcome

Welcome to Aftermath, a portion of our First Line email newsletter where Attorney Anthony L. DeWitt walks you through a real-life self-defense incident and shares his key takeaways.

Bad Facts, Good Outcome

Two men broke into a North Carolina man’s residence through a back window by removing the air conditioner. Once inside, the men began looking for things to steal. The homeowner, alerted by the security app on his phone, arrived to find the window removed and two men in his house. He drew his legally carried firearm and ordered the men to put their hands up. Instead, they charged him. He shot and killed one man while the other fled. The defender fired shots at the fleeing burglar. In prior burglaries he had firearms stolen and as he could not see the hands of the current intruders, he feared for his life. The homeowner’s statements to investigators were corroborated by his surveillance footage. Prosecutors declined to charge him.

What preventative measures do you use in your home?

8 Likes

As far as I know from a real life situation, if you noticed your home has been broken into upon arrival, “stay away from the door” and dial 911. As armed civilians we are not tasked with clearing the scene of a burglary. If occurring inside, different story!

As to your question, preventative measures include lights, cameras, densely thorned bushes, heavy duty security locks, impact resistant doors and windows 6’ privacy fence and a firearm within 3 seconds reach! Keep the home neat, clean, manicured and friendly with the neighbors!

True preventative measures include razor wire, 6’ electrified fences, pet alligators and claymores. That’s prevention! Everything else is just a nuisance for the bad guy and a time factor for me to retrieve a firearm.

6 Likes

A labra-bull :dog:
Ring doorbell camera

And a sign that says, “I don’t call 911.” J/k, that’s my neighbor’s. I’m looking for a sign that says,
“My neighbor doesn’t call 911 and neither do I.”

5 Likes

I had,had one repairman said he had a right to go in and not tell any one and I asked him that if he did that it was private property and any time a sign on the gate to the back yard and it says we dont call 911,we call the coroner,and the cable people always call and ring the door bell at the front door,and i told the repairman any time he felt lucky go in and dont tell us and make my day,the cable company call and tells us they need to go in the back yard and so far the repairemen either calls or rings the door bell

4 Likes

I was home when my then-11 year old daughter told me he saw a guy with what looks like a monocular looking in our backyard. I immediately called the cops and they sent one.
No wonder the cop was smiling the whole time he was interviewing her.
He said he’ll look into it and thanked my daughter for her vigilance.
We found out later it was the utility guy reading our meter, before they had the capability to get the numbers automatically sent to their office.

2 Likes

I’m surprised he didn’t get pinched for shooting at the burgled when he
was running away. If the homeowner hit the bugler as he was running away not so much good news. Bad move.

2 Likes

In my home unless I bring my cell phone to bed I can’t call the police and if they come in at night while we are in bed I have no choice if they come towards us my egress is totally blocked off and my phone is in the living room so when I ask them to stop or I will shoot and they don’t I have no choice

2 Likes

Same here I have carmera and Adt Sec. Signs in front and back yards lights every where I can see them in yard if awake I call 911 if in house I have no way out

Much of what the others have identified: lights, camera, a lovable Rottweiler, bushes, strong locks, alarm system, firearm(s) in a ready access safe(s), a pistol on you during waking hours, a safe room ready.
Shooting a fleeing perp is a good opportunity to get charged. My state, NV. that is no no. Don’t let the DA make a decision against you.

1 Like

Many Hot Shot prosecuters ( plus its the law in most states as well ) would be that if he had his back tuened to you he was bo longer a threat. Their call not mine, but IMHO if they broke into ur house they are automaticaly a threat

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Donald301 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Mark712 and God bless you.

1 Like

I live in North Carolina, and have done the following 2 things to harden my home. I’ve made sure the screws holding the strike plate against the door frame have been removed and replaced with 4" screws that go into the studs for a stronger door. I have 4 doors and have done this to all 4.
I also installed 8 mm thick window film on all doors and windows to prevent someone from easily breaking glass and gaining quick access to my home. It may not stop them if they are determined, but it will slow them down enough for me to access my firearm.

3 Likes

Best alarm I have ever had in any home is a good dog. Cant sneak past them, they will yell ‘stay out’ and will be on any intruder trying to get in any window. And they give unconditional love which I cant get from anyone else! :grin:

5 Likes

“You lucky dog you”.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s over 1/4 inch thick. Probably thicker than the glass itself. Does it get applied to the outside of the windows?

1 Like

Sorry. Meant to say .8 mm thick window film.

2 Likes

My mom gives me a hard time for having a gun on my hip when at home. I told her, want see videos of ppl getting attacked/robbed at home?

2 Likes

Yeahj the new meters now they can read meters and remotely turn power off to :us:

2 Likes

My electric company just put one of those on my home. Anybody know of a way to make them take it off?

1 Like