The Aftermath: Richmond Case Shows What Not to Do

Yes, I have training in Judo and Jujitsu at advanced levels. My advice in this situation is to announce where the wallet is and ask for permission to reach for it or let the assailant take the wallet themselves, whichever they prefer. The victim was very lucky in this case and I agree with the author’s advice. Using just empty hand techniques here is very questionable and very dangerous when you are in a gun fight, more especially when there is more than one gun. Remember that giving petty cash is a small price to pay for your life.

Hello all, first time poster here. I am a retired LEO, SWAT team member, firearms and defensive tactics instructor. I won’t say I have all the answers but I have a pretty good understanding of violence. I disagree with most of the take away from the case review. The author said it was foolish to take the pistol from suspect 1 and not the shotgun. Reality…we don’t know how far away Suspect 2 (shotgun) was. Might have been impractical. Also to say it was foolish to fight is a rush to judgement. If the victim felt that he was going to be shot whether he paid or not then fighting is the best option. Until we get more information regarding specific situational details I will respectfully disagree with the author.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Jack3 @PeaceKeeper70

Thanks Karacal. And to answer the group question…I have study several martial arts and combative programs over my career. For pure self defense you can’t go wrong with Tony Blauer SPEAR. Also the Vunak RAT recommendation above is very good stuff for most situations you will find yourself in. I love traditional martial arts but they take way to long to be competent in a violent confrontation.

This :point_up_2:t4:
After reading the First Line email from the USCCA, I have more questions than answers.

1 Like

Kyusho Jitsu

Tim Larkin, director and founder of Target Focus training, is the most comprehensive self defense training on the market. I have been following Larkin and TFT for many years and now feel confident enough to go without my firearm in most situations.

1 Like

Don’t go to a gun fight with just a knife.

Highly recommend Tim Larkin and his TFT program. Simple, straight forward. I’m 74 years young and need to know how to defend myself. Give up the money, watch and phone. All that can be replaced. Wear good running shoes.

Fred you are so right, give up the money, watch .I don’t carry cash. Maybe $20 in singles (don’t go there) for tipping wait-staff at my favorite restaurant First Watch in Mequon. Hell I’ll even drive you to the ATM. Then they have a picture of you. I’ll even ask "Dude what’s your name. 9/10 the perp will say his name. recorded at the ATM.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Walter83 @Donald282

Hmm
1st - I am 70+ so not so fast and not so Tough anymore - Except Mentally.
However I did have 2 full yrs of Okinawa Hard-Style Karate.
Bone-Breaking Style. Brutally Effective.

I do, Highly, recommend you get some form of Defensive Hand-to-Hand Combat Training.

ALSO remember many things just laying-around that “May” be used
as a Weapon for striking or throwing. ie Weapons of Opportunity.
A - Stick, Cane, 2x4, plate, glass, boards, sand, shoe, rock whatever.

AND get “Defensive Pistol Training”
Defensive shooting is “Way” beyond “Flat Range” Shooting,
and typically beyond the Permit Process.

ps I have been Shot-AT 3-4 times.
So I got busy and “Now” I am also:
Certified:
State and DHS Pistol Instr
Defense of the Home Instr
RSO - Range Safety Officer
AND - Weekly Combat Competition Shooter for 10yr - Pistol, PCC, Rifle

So I do have some skills and Situation and Mind-Set training.

I Now “Carry - Always”.

3 Likes

Yes, I qualify as old man. Yes, I carry. Yes, I’m highly proficient in the use of my side arm. However, deadly force is not always justified. Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) is a highly effective empty hand self-defense martial art. The simplicity of technique makes it an effective form for anyone, particularly women, since (according to tradition) it was primarily designed for women.

1 Like

I agree, situational awareness and constant processing of information pertaining to surroundings, atmosphere and what would I do if this happened or that happened is key to avoiding bad situations. As I age I realize I am not in top fighting condition anymore but we all have to make adjustments to that fact, especially when it’s your and your families safety. Martial arts, grappling, wrestling are all great ways to prepare for conflict but there is a cost like a serious injury or even a small injury that can keep you out of work.
I practice two times a week with several others where walk through situations, blocking and parrying and neutralizing an opponent…then escaping! Mental exercises along with physical or practical work help me to be prepared. Hopefully!

2 Likes

The whole concept of a fair fight is ridiculous. Fair is for fighting inside the ropes.
Otherwise, while you never want to be involved in a fight, you especially don’t want to be involved in a "fair " fight.
The point of training is to give you the advantage, a.k.a. make it unfair.

1 Like

While I see head shots in training sessions I’ve had, I believe that is not for real life. And while I never want to find out, I can’t see intentionally going for a head shot.
It’s just too small a target. Upper torso is the only target that makes sense to me.

1 Like

Agreed!

My sarcastic tongue in cheek was not obvious enough! :frowning_face:

My goal is to not get hands on with anyone!

1 Like

Head shots are best if you are good enough to make them… distance is a key factor.

Sounds like the victim was either lucky to get the gun away or had some sort of training. Maybe not enough. He might have thought they were going to kill him anyway. Sometimes its better to run - sometimes its better to fight. I think most people have forgotten that some people have HONOR that compels them - they cannot give up and they cannot submit to tyranny.

1 Like

Fox of peace-dojo kitsune Kenpo ju-Jitsu trains in these kinds of real world attacks