That’s gonna leave a mark!

Hi All,

Safety gear at gun range. The local rage I frequent has a few standard rules.
Ware something over ears , baseball type hat and eye protection. Pretty standard stuff. Which I willing comply with.
So yesterday I was practicing with my Mossberg MC1 to get better aquatinted with.

On one of my shots, a casing bounced off the wall and made its way under my cap and lodged between my glasses and just under my right eye. What are the odds. (I did keep pistol pointed down range.) in case you were wondering. I quickly placed my pistol on the counter and removed the hot casing.

It left a perfect circle under my eye.! So be cautious and keep practicing. image|375x500

13 Likes

If you haven’t become a member of the Brass Dance Team it just means you haven’t shot enough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,

Craig6

21 Likes

I think I’ve invented a new move for that Hot Brass dance.

6 Likes

Wait till you’re on a crowded range with a class and repeatedly catch hot one’s down the back of the neck or side of the collar!

I have to give you credit though, this is a new one on me.

5 Likes

My shooting garb for the rare times I go to a public range is a long sleeved turtle neck shirt (for the airdale squids out there think “flight deck jersey”). I have noticed that competition T-Shirts (as in the ones you get for participating) are going this direction. My last 3 have been long sleeved tight neck T-Shirts.

@WildRose I agree, never had one catch in my safety glasses but I did experience an M-14 shooter in the next position that dropped 8 hot cases down the back of my shirt during a 200yd sitting rapid fire. He cleaned it. Me, not so much :angry:

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

First time I got a cheek tattoo, that’s exactly what happened to me too.

Last time I got one, it was a couple months ago and I caught one in the right glass, and then one in the left glass, same trip. That time it was my own fault though, I forgot my hat. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Double - Ouch!

2 Likes

Definitely! However… useful learning experience I’m actually grateful for.

What I learned is that I can stand a burn, if I have to. I don’t need to jump and dance, I can put the firearm down and then do what I need to about the brass. I can take control of the moment, and not just react.

While that probably got me a bigger burn (since the brass didn’t get removed quite as quickly) the experience is oddly comforting.

I now know, for a fact, that if I was in a self defense situation and I collected some hot brass in my glasses or my collar or my cleavage, I could still keep my focus and do what I needed to do rather than react to the brass burn. Maybe in that situation I wouldn’t even notice it, but if I did, I can trust myself to be able to ignore the hot brass and keep my focus where it needed to be to save my life or someone else’s.

10 Likes

Just awesome… stay focused.

3 Likes

I got one in the crook of my elbow when I was coming back to high compressed ready during a training. So it literally was trapped in my elbow and burned. I did jerk back out to extension to get rid of it, but man did that BURN!

4 Likes

Exactly. Great moment for a “cease fire drill”. Get control, show self control, deal with it appropriately for the class so everyone understands and move on like a professional.

Cuss and spit under your breath as needed.

3 Likes

I always wear a closed top shirt, like teeshirt or even a turtleneck in winter.

1 Like

Quick thinking…did it blister?

1 Like

Great advice which applies in so many areas of life, both at home and in public.

Regards.

4 Likes

I have a phenomenal full length 22lr casing brand from one that slipped past the turtleneck and landed on top of the tee shirt neck. ISYN! Can’t win in this game, or, “there’s a winner every day?” Hard sell either way.

3 Likes

I feel your pain. I’m a Left Handed AR Shooter. I have to wear closed collar shirts, long sleeves and still get brass burns on my cheek.

5 Likes

@Don14 I’ve got some right-handed students who are very strong left eye and they shoot shotgun left shoulder… so yeah, that right-eject can be an issue :face_with_monocle::face_with_head_bandage:
Welcome to the group!

2 Likes

With glasses and ear plugs I also have gotten a hot casing round bounce back; off the lane separator, on to the neck, down inside the shirt collar!!

3 Likes

Yep @Michael93, it’s a hazard of indoor lanes :grimacing:

Teaching, where I want to stand on the right side of the student sometimes, makes that worse… their brass is raining on me directly AND bouncing off the divider :laughing:

Welcome to the group!

3 Likes

Teaching family I stand back and left - and watch all their moves, and brass. Sometimes it gets them and I am quick to brush off.

2 Likes