Shells down the shirt

I am pretty new to shooting. Every time I go to the range a shell ends up down my shirt and it burns! Any recommendations to help prevent this other than wearing a turtle neck?

6 Likes

This worked for me …

Amazon.com : SUN CUBE Sun Hat for Men, Wide Brim Fishing Hat Neck Flap Cover Men Women, Hiking Safari, UV Sun Protection Summer Gardening Beach Camping UPF 50+, Gray : Sports & Outdoors

4 Likes

Wait until you do laundry, especial[y the dryer. :smiley:

8 Likes

I usually don’t have any issues shooting at my indoor range with a pistol even though I am left handed and the shells eject to the right, hit the plexiglass barrier and bounce either behind me or onto range in front of me.
Shooting a rifle on the other hand, depends on the rifle. My Sig Sauer M400 ejects shells at an angle that when they bounce off the plexiglass barrier they keep on going behind me. My Smith & Wesson AR 22lr is THE worst to shoot as the shells eject, hit the plexiglass barrier and come back right at me. Keep your eye protection on at all times as well as your hearing protection. As for me, when I go to shoot the 22 rifle I wear a Cabela’s canvas long sleeve shooting shirt and learned real quick (after a couple of hot brass kisses to my neck and back) that I also needed to button up the collar for a more pleasant shooting experience.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Matthew! You didn’t mention what you were shooting. I think the shells must have bounced off a partition between lanes - is this correct? Just try a couple of other ranges to see if you still have the same problem.
As far as rifles are concerned, there are bullpups that eject downward.

4 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community :handshake:

If those shells are from the handguns you are shooting - replace recoil spring, check your ejector and if you are using red dot, be sure it doesn’t block free ejection of the casings.

5 Likes

You may be new to shooting, but how old is your firearm? In particular your extractor, might need cleaning or slight adjustment or possibly a whole new one.
Expended cartridges should launch out to 3 o’clock just over your shoulder if held correct.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Fold Brother Matthew,
Costing about $40.00 (for both)
1)This ‘Shell catcher’ (for AR’s) is what I use, easily detachable to go from one rifle to another
They hold HOT rounds and the Mesh doesn’t burn (Holds 100 rds, but (2) mags worth (for me)
is better. $25+
2) A Shemagh (scarf). I’ve used these for (20+) years ! Keeps the sweat off your neck /face also
with a swipe of your gloves, I don’t have to reach for a sweat bandana in my pocket. $15+

Amazon (of course) 5.11 etc.

5 Likes

The shells come from my IWI Masada Slim. It’s brand new. I am using Magtech 115gr FMJ. I have shot around 500 rounds the last 6 weeks and I have cleaned it twice. About to clean it tonight and go to the range tomorrow.

I also only have shot in doors.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

6 Likes

Clean it first and report.

Ejected casings should freely go to your right, about 6 - 10 feet away from you.
If this ejection is non consistent or casings are flying other direction than your right, it is not a normal.

If you shoot indoor… perhaps the casings are hitting side wall of the booth and bouncing back at you?

4 Likes

It’s possible they are bouncing off the wall. I’ll setup my phone to record myself tomorrow and see.

4 Likes

Wear a baseball cap, shirt with no collar.
In cooler weather, put a hoodie over your head after putting eyes and ears.

6 Likes

If you find out the casings are bouncing back at you, there’s nothing more to do than wearing ribbed collar t-shirt. Long sleeves will help as well.
Don’t wear loose t-shirt, more it sticks to your body, less chances something jumps under your garment.

6 Likes

welcome! the ejection pattern will start to open up as the recoil spring wears in. Extractor spring as well. Thats pretty common on a lot of brand new firearms, honestly. I have noticed this happening more with 115s than 124s in newer guns. the wifes VP9SK did the same for about 800 rounds or so. It slowly started working back around to 3 oclock.

wear a hat, will often keep them from making it into your shirt lol

8 Likes

Dressing for the range. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

@Matthew351 Welcome to the community, looks like if you’re wearing a shirt, just button it all the way up, flip the collar up to prevent a hot brass casing on the neck.

1 Like

There is also another way to fix it…

If you shoot naked, casing won’t be caught by garment and there won’t be any burns. :point_up:

shooting-rambo

6 Likes

Hot topic…

Wear clothes that fit tighter. And no hoodies. All shells will be drawn to the area of your neck just in front of that hood. And you’ll hear every, single, one of them…laugh at you.

4 Likes

Those are brass catchers!
One time at a county range the guy next to me started shooting his full auto AK, I caught all the brass in my hoodie, not fun.

3 Likes