Taurus 1911 Commander

I saw the new 1911 commander that Taurus has and I’m actually interested in getting it as a carry gun. I have kinda been wanting a gun that’s not 9mm and I like the idea of a .45. I know ballistics are almost the same as 9mm except for the size of the hole made. But I was wondering what other people had to say about it. :grin:

4 Likes

I can’t speak to the Taurus, but any 1911 in 45 vs a similar sized single stack in 9mm. Ammo capacity difference is negligible. I’m a fan of short, fat, and slow. If you get it, and it is reliable, then carry that bad boy.

1 Like

I am liking this gun as well. I want it for a range gun. I have found that shooting the sub calibers (mainly 9mm , but also 38 Superb) can make me lazy. A 45 will remind you very quickly if your grip is not good…

I like the front strap checkering. That is a necessity for me for a carry gun. Awesome to see it on a bargain gun. On paper, a great range gun for me. I will most likely get one after the New Years.

I have the Taurus 1911 AR in stainless. It needed some polishing on the chamber and feed ramp and the mag throat and I switched out the rear sight for an adjustable. I have had it for 2 years now and love it. Now after the TLC it will shoot ball, full size HP and and +P.without any jams.

My biggest gun right now is a security 9. 15+1 compact with a 5" height. The Taurus 1911 Commander has a 5.7" height. I’m by no means a big person which makes me wonder if I’d even be able carry such a gun without printing pretty bad at 4 o’clock. Unless I went to like 6 o’clock carry :thinking:. Thoughts?

Maybe go to a 3 o’clock Carry. It’s only .7 inches longer, and you could always carry at an FBI cant. That helps hide the grip.

1 Like

What’s an FBI cant?
Maybe a 3 o clock would work. That’s like right on the hip or just a little above 4 o clock right? I might be able to pull a 3 o clock off without discomfort if I have the right holster :thinking:

1 Like

1 Like

Oh. That makes sense now.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try with my kydex iwb sometime. Might be the excuse I need to get a leather holster. 🤷
If I have any questions/issues I’ll be sure to start another thread :joy:

What holster type would be best for 3 o clock? The type that wraps along your body? And would it be better to carry OWB or IWB with a 1911? Or does it all just come down to the person? (I’m figuring it is different for everyone but figured I’d ask 🤷)

Personal preference. It’s obviously thin enough for iwb. And, depending on where you live owb. As far as holsters, again personal preference. Savoy Leather makes nice holsters, as do Galco, and several others. Most holsters makes have a few selections for 1911’s.

1 Like

Commnder’s are a nice solution to carrying a full size with an inch less barrel and the same handle. Taurus touted their 1911 line as using EDM components for consistency and price point reduction, I’m more a fan of forged and milled but I know several that own them and haven’t worn them out yet.

On a holster I HIGHLY advise you to get one with a hammer block thumb strap, some 1911 safety’s can take themselves off safe depending on the holster and activity. That option seams to be very had to find lately, My preference is the Bianchi 3S for IWB at 4 o’clock with a forward cant as described above. It has an index disc that allows you to adjust the cant. The best part is the two big snaps on the leather flap that goes around your belt. I don’t have to thread the belt into the holster, just tuck the flap behind the belt and the holster in my britches and snap it shut. Been carrying mine for 25 years and it has at least that many to go.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

What’s the difference between forged and milled and EDM components?
Is that what normally makes the 1911 so expensive?

I prefer OWB. I can slide the holster a bit more towards 4:00 for a little better conclealment. I usually carry around 3. Holster type is more personal. Lots of great holster makers out there.

2 Likes

Don’t forget a good belt, designed for carrying a gun. At 38 oz unloaded, she’s no lightweight.

2 Likes

I have a Crossbreed gun belt and it’s been part of my EDC ever since. :grin:

1 Like

@luke_ouellette EDM is an old/new technology for cutting metal via electrical sparks, with the advent of CAD/Cam & CNC machining it developed into a “new” technology. When Taurus first came out (04’ or so) with their 1911 EDM was sketchy at best but they were gaining on it. I put eyeballs on some of the first guns and the finish on the internal parts was “meh”. Early on they were also using “Metal Particle” manufacturing which caused a bit of a stir with the forged and milled crowd. Kind of like 3D printing but in metal. I don’t know if that practice continues. There was some evidence that MP and EDM in combination were a bad mix but it has been years since I looked in on that topic.

Do the forged and milled parts make it more expensive? Slightly. But gun mfg’s buy the internals of their guns by whoever can produce them in the quantity and quality needed. “Small” parts producers that have the reputation for high quality get them from the same place they just institute more stringent QA. It’s kind of like AR parts. There are about 9 different manufacturers of AR uppers and lowers in the US and the same MFG makes KAC (Knight’s Armament Co.) as they do DelTon, One will cost you $50 the other $350 but it came off the same machine. In most cases as demonstrated above the name is what you are paying for and hopefully the quality that you come to expect.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

EDM is a new one on me Craig, thanks for the info. I tend to avoid MIM parts on a 1911, but, you get into some different price points depending on what you want.

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Taurus Commander 1911?

Most Commander size 1911s are four and a quarter barrel length.I carry a Ruger LW CMD with a 4.25 inch barrel. It shoots very well and alot easier on my back.