Talking With... The Anti-Gun Crowd (Effectively)!?!

Hi john694 good to see you. Lately I have been by passing all the standard arguments and asking them if they believe the words “The Right of the People” mean it is a Human Right. once they admit that it does mean it is a Human Right. Then I have more leverage to demonstrate that owning and carrying is a Human Right and that any governmental limitation or restriction is in fact a Human Rights Violation. I think I will tell that to the ACLU.

4 Likes

I was just talking about this.

4 Likes

That may be the way they think now but when the SHTF, guess who’ll be banging on your door.

4 Likes

I don’t approach anyone with thoughts such that they are “enemies”. I view them as “opposing forces”.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Raven1 and God bless you.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Raven1

3 Likes

If the person is someone I know or have a relationship with in some way. I talk to them and offer to take them to the range so they can see what it is that they are concerned about. I am a teacher and I have sponsored Range days during teacher workdays bringing folks to the range so they can see what it is like and how it is fun. I remember I took 6 people to the range, told my local range ahead of time, they set aside a training bay for me so I could let the folks shoot a 22 revolver, a ruger mark 3 pistol, a 9mm Glock and an ar 15. After we all shot one at a time on paper targets, they were filming each other, complementing each other when they did well. The best part for me was when we had finished shooting and were talking about which one they liked best, one person asked if they could shoot that really powerful rifle, the scary one that people want to ban, the military looking one I just stood there smiling at them, and they pointed to the AR on the table… You just did right there. They were incredulous "really? That’s it? That was my favorite we all shot better with that. Yep I said that is why it is Americas most popular rifle. Hard to start but worth the effort.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Adrian22 !

Your efforts bringing new shooters into the club are much appreciated!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Adrian22

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @Adrian22 and thanks for teaching and continuing to bring more people into the firearms world.

2 Likes

It is hard to have any conversation with anti gun folks when the media constantly bombards them with unfactuall information to push only anti gun rhetoric for the lame agenda of disarming America. Always pushing to stir feelings over Facts of our rights to defend ourselves,Family,and or Country. In todays times it is so important because of the chaos created. Crime waves have spread and have taken a rapid rise in actually blue states. I’ve tried showing facts and these anti gun people can not have a reasonable conversation. It is quite frustrating trying facts over feelings. Its like talking to a wall.

4 Likes

Going along with the title of this post, keep it in mind that you are talking to the anti-gun crowd. If they approach you at work for example you may be getting set-up. A lot of HR training includes reporting anyone who talks about guns at work etc… don’t walk into their trap.

If you do decide it is OK to talk with someone who is anti-gun then frame the conversation to their situation (are they elderly, live in a bad neighborhood, handicap, etc)… then walk them through their self-defense options and let them find their own level of comfort. It takes some time but I have had conversations where you look at the ‘non-lethal’ options that a anti-gun person is going to be more accepting of (tasers, pepper spray). Go through what a realistic encounter would involve with those options and see if they are comfortable or want to up their defense options to something more lethal like a gun. Even if they never feel like they want to own a gun the process of choosing their own level of defense will help them respect the choices of others, including gunowners, to do the same.

4 Likes

Here’s a perspective …

I was “anti-gun”. But not because of any moral or informed influence. I was anti-gun because I lived in NYC and it was normal and “political correct” to be anti-gun. The environment in NYC was one where it was engrained in the minds of the mindless that guns were a criminal’s tool. Furthermore, normal everyday citizens did not have the capacity or wherewithal to properly handle a gun.

As I began to see the political sphere in NYC (after Giulinai) for what it was, I began to understand 2 things … 1. New York was not representative of the freedoms, as an American, that I was guaranteed. and 2. I needed to leave.

Once I began to be more and more aware, I began to understand a lot of things. And I use that contrast in perspective to hold conversations with people whom I used to share the anti-gun views with; respectfully.

But the sad part is that many people have become so brainwashed into believing everything government tells them, that they FEAR any other opinion, whether it makes sense of not.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @James811 snd you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Welcome. Glad your escape from NY was successful.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @James811

3 Likes

All I do is take them to the h[d in Chicago and kick them out of my car, if they make it out of the hood then we go to the pew pew store. :laughing:

Being honest, some are just scared of the noise, the gun itself or just not ready to be a gun owner yet. As it has been said, over time and when trust is built up, they might enjoy the responsibility of being a legal and safe gun owner.

5 Likes

Welcome to all the @first timers, glad you all could join the family, very glad to welcome and have you all become a part of the family.

4 Likes

To step in and offer an opinion on this I will say the biggest problem is we are not talking to each other using the same reference points and thoughts. Gun owners are far too often thinking that the objections and prejudices expressed are based. We most often are working from how the world works and how society is and they are operating from how they feel the world should be. Until you can get passed the utopian idea that guns not people are the problem you will gain zero ground. And if you do make inroads the fallback is always, if there were no guns on the shelf for people to buy there would be no guns on the street.

It takes a splash of reality in the face to make a physical if not a mental change. The Pandemic and some early supply shortages started to bring reality home. Riots in the streets and the burning of businesses in former quiet cities sent anti gunners to the gun stores in record numbers. Ammo has been in short supply until the last few weeks. The police have proven they can’t protect people at a moments notice and because so many wanted to de-fund the police there are fewer of them in the very cities that are being burned down. And now some see they will have to look to their own devices for personal protection.

Looking at society from a realistic point of view is far more persuasive than our stellar logic ever will. Because reality is all that outshines wishing things were different.

I am willing to help train or assist anyone that has broken out of the, “the world should be free of crime” , fog. Because the best way to fight crime in remove the criminals and anti gunners typically are loath to do just that. Just as I see it.

3 Likes

My Aunt Kim is on that side but will share I love her with all my heart.

Almost a second mother. Therefore we have had plenty of great moments but she stands against firearms.

Maybe that will change one day😉

4 Likes