Survival pouch

Ok, so here’s my review of the USCCA survival pouch. First, this pouch itself is great, I have the same exact pouch in my vehicle carrying my wound medical kit attached to my plate carrier. Only difference is the USCCA logo.

Second, as you can see in the pics there is a lot of useful things, in the first 4 pics this is how it’s laid out.

Now, you see a whistle, tourniquet and ferrel strike kit.

Now you see, a emergency tactical pen, a signal mirror, a pen light, multi tool and compass. All of which seem to be otf good condition, also the tactical pen is the same exact one I carry daily as you can see.

Now, paracord, antiseptic wipes and emergency bandage pack. All of which can be very useful.

Lastly, extras I have added for added things to help. Like a small t properties of survival pamphlet, storm proof matches container, lashing rope andtender

14 Likes

I like that. Care to share the link on where to buy?

4 Likes

It’s not up for sale just yet, only new or upgrading members. I’ve heard that a lot of members are requesting it, so it should be available to outright purchase soon enough.

4 Likes

Hey Brian,

while I have always been OVERLY critical of survival kits as they tend to be a false sense of security…let me offer some advice to you so that you CAN be effective with yours.

first: go onto youtube and look up other ways to start a fire. matches are lovely if you have them…but it you crush them or they get wet and aren’t water proof…you’re hosed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPr-a8kht2E

second: Watch and learn how to build a basic shelter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzUpH0Zft5c

third: Learn how to purify water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTuvHf8V7c

forth: in your survival pack, put some cables that you can use for snares and go online and learn how to build basic snares for small game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtQVILcH9_8

fifth: learn how to get your bearings without a compass using any number of methods like the sun compass. If you break that little glass/plastic compass…at least you’re not hosed if you have a backup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSx0BHYTJ8

With each of these skills, you can practice them in the backyard or during a family camping trip and hone your skills. I’ve learned that it’s a great family activity for the kids also.

I’ve been stuck before, twice, and had to rely on my skills. Each time, any kit I may have had was in my vehicle and not with me so basically useless. The first I was supposed to be picking up a couple friends who were hiking a trail and I dropped them off at the beginning and went to pick them up at the end where they didn’t show. I hiked down the path a few miles and found that one twisted her ankle pretty badly and set up a quick shelter for fire and tended to her ankle. The next morning, I basically carried her out like a rucksack. The other was mother nature decided to make her presence known and a nice long hike turned into a 2 day adventure. Again, built a shelter, fire, and even purified water to replenish my stock. Having the skills and using them and keeping them fresh far exceeds any survival kit or survival booklet you might own. Those are all nice to have, but knowledge and experience far outweigh stuff.

I can honestly say, you don’t even need a knife and if you wanted to, you could learn how to make a make shift knife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYOTQu57nQ it’s all about education and experience. Much like you practice shooting skills so you are prepared, so should you practice survival skills in case you get stuck out somewhere and don’t have your stuff to help you.

The survival 3’s.

• You can survive for 3 Minutes without air (oxygen) or in icy water
  • You can survive for 3 Hours without shelter in a harsh environment (unless in icy water)
  • You can survive for 3 Days without water (if sheltered from a harsh environment)
  • You can survive for 3 Weeks without food (if you have water and shelter)
5 Likes

For your first point, they are water proof matches, but I have ferrele rods and know how to use other ways of making fire.

1. I know all too well about making shelters as I’ve gone camping without tents.

2. Purifying water is a skill I also know and have had to use on more than one occasion, so good there as well.

3. I have several things I can use to snare, although it has been a while.

4. bearings are fairly simply, sun rises in the east, sets in the west and moss grows on the north side of a tree.

All in all, I have the knowledge most certainly I grew up with it and has helped out more than once. But, these days I need every advantage I can get having MS. I do appreciate your info tho, hopefully it can help others who don’t really know about surviving without their phone, packaged meals and all the creature comforts we enjoy.

I do need to add a couple of things yet, COFFEE, tobacco with rolling papers and “TP for my bunghole” :grin:

Oooh, p.s. the 3 S’s for survival… yeah I don’t have 3 days. With my medical I’d be lucky to last 1 day

3 Likes

Brian,

first and foremost, don’t take what I’m saying as an attack against you personally. It’s not an attack. I have personally been through 3 hurricanes, 1 tornado, countless large earthquakes, 2 winter white outs, 1 forest fire, 1 volcanic eruption and countless other natural disasters that you and most people will never deal with (I hope). I’m like a walking talking litmus test for tragedy in many cases and most of my own family refuses to go on vacation with me because of my “bad luck”. On the other side of the spectrum, there isn’t a person in my family who wouldn’t want me with them if bad luck comes there way as I know first hand how to deal with it.

So, matches, ferro rods (aka Ferrocerium rods) or other “things” are great to have…IF YOU HAVE THEM. my point is simply that if your skills extend to only being able to survive IF you have the tools to survive…then you’re reliant on THOSE TOOLS.

Now, I don’t know you. Have no clue what you’re knowledge is, background, history…so I can’t speak to what you know or don’t know. All I CAN say is that historically, most people who have survival packs that I’ve met, couldn’t survive without help…and a lot of it. SO, whether you are one of those types who could walk into the woods wearing the clothes on your back and be happy for a month like me, or you’re the type who thinks they know how to survive but has never put it to the test and has never actually tried without help and tools…well…that’s for you to decide. All i can say is, I’ve been in bad situations that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I hope you never have to go through what I did and I hope you can live your life without being tested like I have been. I do hope you the best and wasn’t trying to come off like a real Pain in your backside. One side note…I find that the lint from the dryer is a perfect fire starter and back in the day when film canisters were still a thing, I used to pack a few of those in my pack as a quick help to start a fire when I’m building a bird’s nest for embers. Even today I prefer to use dryer lint as my go to because it lights so fast compared to anything I can find in nature.

Lastly, my cousin is similar in his medical needs…and like him I’d recommend you store extra meds in case you get stuck. Listen, you may think I’m being an A$$, but honestly I’ve had to come to entirely too many people’s aide over the years and I really do wish you well and to survive what can likely be avoided. Take care and stay safe brother…I’m not trying to be a pain.

1 Like

I didn’t take your comment as an attack brother, I’ve said this before and say it again, that’s the problem with not speaking but typing out things. You can’t read their tone or body language.

Now, onto the rest… HOLY CRAP DUDE, did you break a lot otf mirrors as a kid? And here I thought I had bad luck, you are truly blessed by God to have survived all that. Anyway, I’ve found when it comes to lint, yes it can be great. Another option to that, and it has MANY uses aside from kindling and is water proof, cotton balls with petroleum jelly. Those buggers light FAST.

As to my back ground, like I mentioned, before I got diagnosed with my 2 death sentences (first ones at 25 and 2nd 10 years later), I used to love to go deep in the woods with a good knife and a sleeping bag. a VERY resourceful grandfather that helped raise me.

Now, to my medical, that’s where I’m hit hard, my insurance only allows me 1 month at a time of my MANY prescriptions and that’s why I have to take the bug in scenario rather than bug out. Every month when I pick up my prescriptions I always joke with the pharmacy that “yep, here to pick up my monthly pharmacy”. It kills me that I’m not the guy I was in my early 20’s, 5’8" and 198lbs of muscle. But I’ve adapted and overcame for the most part.

In closing, I’m a fairly easy guy, I don’t get butthurt. I value feed back, now my responses may come across as I’m a little testy. But, I’m the guy that people love to see and discuss urgent issues with. Have a great day brother AND STAY SAFE! No more playing near volcanoes… lol

3 Likes

Well stay safe and enjoy! If my wife catches me stealing her cotton balls and smearing petroleum jelly on them…I may be in need of medical attention myself :wink:

As for wishing we were all back in our 20’s…I do often wish that and it usually centers around waking up feeling pain in areas I didn’t know existed. However, then I remember jumping my car into that mirror factory as a youth and remembering why mother nature has it out for me JK

Not sure if you could claim your pharmacy got soaked in water and you need to replace some but if you could store even a couple days I’d definitely recommend it. When I was down in Cabo during Hurricane Odil or whatever it was called…it wiped out power which wiped out atms and banks, stores, and pharmacies. Always good planning to have some meds in reserve if you can swing it JUST in case SHTF.

3 Likes

Well, I usually have 2 or 3 days surplus, but not much more than that. A couple of scripts I take I COULD survive without but it won’t be pretty. But, at least I would be alive which is s win in my books.

As for your wife, IFAK’s are here for a reason… lol I would suggest maybe body armor, suit up like a riot officer. :rofl::rofl: 20200916_114717

Yeah, the pain in spots you didn’t know existed is a real pain in the rear end, pun intended. But, thankfully I have a high threshold for pain, I’ve literally fallen asleep getting tattoos.

2 Likes

Yes I like the pouch, But also like the add on which I will do the same. Added it to my carry gear I give it a thumbs up.

A
2 Likes

I have it in the vehicle along side my medical kit. I know the chances of me ever camping again, or lasting long trying to bug out are very slim. But, I would give it one hell of a try until my last breath. My snoring alone would scare A LOT of animals away, but give away my base camp… lol

1 Like

If you could have only one item, what would it be?
Mine would be a medium size camp axe. Consider all you can do with it.

1 Like

@Alton1. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

Mine would be a medical kit.

1 Like

Welcome to our family, as for the one thing… my medication, without it, it would be a SLOW painful death.

1 Like

We don’t want that brother, we want you around.

1 Like

Thank you, we don’t want ANY of our family dying, weather it be actual family or our new extended family in the USCCA and 2A community.

With that said, I view all of you as my brother’s and sisters. We may not totally agree with each other, but what family does. The best part is that we hold conversations about things we don’t agree on and we still communicate after that. If only the rest of the country could learn from us, we would be in a much better place.

I would love to have coffee with each and every one of you guys and maybe hit the range to compare training tactics.

1 Like

Agree. I have built a couple. One thing I never understood is people who cheap out on it. If its your last resort, it should contain the absolute best of whatever you put into it.
As you said, EDUCATE YOURSELF. I would highly recommend watching videos on Bushcrafting. Go to YouTube and look at sites like Patriot Nurse, Dave Canterbury, Ultimate Survival TIps, Ray Mears, Black Scout Survival and many more. Look at some of the Bushcraft forums, look up specif skills like map and compass reading (I suggest FAA Sectional Maps), This will get you started. You can have the best “Kit” in the world, but unless you know how to use it it is worthless. Besides, the more you learn, the smaller kit you will need. A great video to watch is KooKoo Sint. Worked with indians who left him with just what he needed to survive in a snow packed wilderness, knife, needle and couple other things… link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmSXBD_ojM

2 Likes

I know I already responded, but I did want to agree vehemently with you about adding coffee! I can’t wait till they invent IV forms of coffee so I can shoot it directly into the veins!

I do avoid the other addictive substances though like tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc. I do drink from time to time but only when someone buys me a really nice bottle of something that I feel guilted into drinking with them. I have to admit that anytime I do drink…I tend to resemble my old military self where I could down a bottle of one thing or another and become a blubbering idiot in less than 3 seconds. Thus why I tend to avoid alcohol or tobacco…as tobacco only makes me want to drink. I admit…I’m weak so I avoid it all together rather than in moderation.

I will say though, I have a couple friends who just ran into issues this last weekend and had to camp out overnight and hike out the next day. They made shelters and built a fire just like I taught them when we were all together and I’m really happy that they remembered what I taught them. I don’t feel their lives were in danger…but my information certainly made their overnight easier! So to everyone…learn what you can and practice a couple times at least so that when you need it…you aren’t fumbling when you can’t afford it.

2 Likes

It’s perfectly fine to reply more than once on a subject, it just shows you’re paying attention and continuing the conversation.

Yeah, IV coffee would be my friend and Black Rifle Coffee would love the fact that my monthly order quadrupled… lol

As for the drinking, I feel you brother, I drink MAYBE once a year and ofcourse the helmet wearing, short bus riding self comes out. Which is hilarious to others, but the next day I’m face palming with the recounts of the night before.

As for the nicotine, well… I know it’s bad for me and all, but after smoking for about 25 years, the habit is one I’m too weak to stop. And I’ve tried vaping, that is just not on my wheelhouse. I’m too much of a traditionalist in that area.

As to your friends, I’m happy things ended up well for them. It always is a wonderful feeling to know that life saving measures you taught to someone were actually listened to.

2 Likes

While Black Rifle is good coffee, and I love the fact that it is a veteran owned operation, it’s just not strong enough for us. We prefer Death Wish :+1:

3 Likes