Summer Range Bag Supplies

July at the range can be a very different experience from January at the range. Warmer temperatures, more people, more bugs buzzing about, and additional glare from the sun.

What do you add to your range bag for Summer trips to the range that you might not have in there during your spring/winter trips?

Looking for a new range bag? Check out the training gear and awesome new patriotic apparel in the USCCA store and receive a USCCA Range Bag with $75 purchase.

4 Likes

Honestly, here in Florida our temps don’t change to radically.
I just carry a little more water in the summer and an extra sweat ban sometimes.
You have a very good question though.

3 Likes

Sun block and extra water.

4 Likes

Indoor range only for me so no change except my attire.

2 Likes

A 2021-07-01 18-26-15

3 Likes

We just to the range last weekend expecting 110 degree weather, wound up actually 94 with a breeze.

We took a cooler with water and Gatorade.

Sunscreen, is a definite.

A hand towel and a “cooling” towel is definitely going in.

2 Likes

In my bag there is always rain or shine hot or cold, one thermo blanket, extra magazines and ammo, my level 5 first aid kit, sun screen a fire starter, a length of rope, a roll of tape. Some paper targets, two bottles of Gatorade, a compass and because I’m in Arizona a Geiger counter, and my backup gun with ammo for it. This may be extreme but there is a reason for every thing.

3 Likes

Specifically for summer I will add a hat with a fabric piece hanging from the back to keep the sun off my neck, ultra light weight long sleeve shirt with a SPF rating and extra towels. A “trick” I learned while fossil hunting in FL in phosphate pits where the temps get over 100’ and humidity almost the same is we would soak wash cloths/towels in a mixture of about 50% water and 50% alcohol then add just a couple drops of citronella extract for bug protection. Toss those towels in an ice box and wipe down with them when you start feeling hot and sticky. VERY refreshing. More recently the Deluth Trading Company has been selling for a couple years now ultra light 100% nylon shirts that are impregnated with jade to help keep you cool. They are wonderful ( https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-short-sleeve-armachillo-shirt-13263.html ) ! They also make underwear, socks and hats with the same concept but unless on sale are spendy.
What else? Bug wipes, poison oak wipes, electrolyte tablets, spare pair of polarized sun glasses and a space blanket or two. They make good covers to make shade for you and your firearms.

3 Likes

bug spray for my legs, 'cuz ticks on the pistol range, yo.

3 Likes

Have you ever considered training on an outdoor range? I know that indoor ranges can have restrictions that can limit preparedness for a self-defense situation.

3 Likes

My range bag is my range bag. It is seasonally unvarying. If there are other things I need due to weather, bugs, sun, whatever, they go in a different bag.

4 Likes