Summer Is Coming I need A NEW INEXPENSIVE DEPENDABLE CARRY 400.00 RANGE HELP PLEASE!

My main firearm is a glock19 to carry. But ive put alot into it so its better suited as a home defense use. My budget is 400.00 . Do i go mossberg mc1 or security 9, or??? I have a tauras g2c that id carry but its been at tauras for 5 months due to a role pin coming loose. Yes 5 months… So price dosent scare me as far as inexpensive as long as its reliable.

3 Likes

S&W SD9 is a glock clone you can find for $300. S&W actually got sued over it. They had to actually give Glock money for every one of them sold (not sure if that ended recently or not.)

I’ve heard good things about the security 9. I’m not a fan of how take down works, but that’s a small deal… Doubt you would be disappointed with either. (This is internet knowledge. I have not handled either of them myself.) haven’t seen anything on the other gun you mentioned.

2 Likes

security 9 is great, the Mossberg mc1 needs help. Too small !

1 Like

I went $427 out the door, tax, title and tags for a RIA Rock Standard. Nothing says dependable like a 1911.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Check the Used section at your local dealers.

2 Likes

I suggest an M&P 9mm shield 2.0 which you can get for about 350.00. Its a nice gun but check out the reviews on it. Hope this advice helped and there are more choices out there for that price but not as dependable.

7 Likes

I second the S&W recommendations.

2 Likes

Third vote for the M&P option.

1 Like

I have an SW40v which is about the same as the sd9 I think. Works and takes down just like a Glock. Although the trigger requires a bit more pressure to fire than my newer Glock. I’ve had the SW40v for 23 years. It’s been very reliable. I can’t even remember a time that it didn’t feed. Prob good as a carry gun if you like the size, although I’m not as confident about it for distance accuracy past about 15 or 20 yards, if that’s important. I don’t usually shoot that accurately anyway. :unamused:

They also came in Black and hold 14 rounds if you’re not in CA. Often available for under $300 these days with little use. They were police dept issue in some places, so they are now floating around used. Although prob worn out if police use.

3 Likes

There are fine handguns from Ruger and S&W that are within your price range. Good luck!

1 Like

I’ll vote the security 9, full size or compact. Accurate, reliable guns in your price range.

1 Like

Why not Taurus G3 ?

2 Likes

I cant even get my g2 back from tauras… There customer service is bad bad bad. Nice guns but if anything would go wrong…

2 Likes

understandable :+1:
M&P Shield then. I’d suggest Mossberg, I love their firearms… but somehow I trust M&P more… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I didn’t even think of the shield. That’s a great summer carry option. You can get the shield 1.0 around $325. I’ve got two shields and I love them (First gen Performance Center and Shield 45). My wife has the shield 1.0. The only thing some people hate about the 1.0s is the trigger. I think it’s fine. That being said, I much prefer the PC and 2.0 triggers. Shield is one of the top selling guns in the US. It’s a really reliable machine and it’s size is very concealable.

2 Likes

If you could get the first generation shield it’s great also maybe at a cheaper price, but the trigger is a little better in the 2.0, I have both guns and the work flawlessly.

3 Likes

If you are looking for summer carry, presumably you just want something smaller or lighter? Glock26 fits the bill, will likely fit in your same G19 holsters (if they dont have weapon lights), and you can use your G19 mags as spares for the G26 (10+1 in the gun, 15+ round spare)

If you dont care about magazine compatibility, but want to stay glock, the Glock 43, 43X (longer grip), or Glock 48 (G19 length & grip, with G43 thinness).

The S&W Shield in 9mm or 380 has a loooooong record of dependability and is still a shootable size.

The “really thin double stacks” like the Sig P365 or Springfield Hellcat can get you almost the same capacity but in much smaller packages.

5 Likes

@J.WoodSr
Dunham’s Memorial Day Sale

4 Likes

I’d also recommend the M&P’s, however I’m leaning towards suggesting a hi-point after the judicious use of caps…

(This is a joke for anyone who thinks im being serious. The vote is actually for M&P).

3 Likes

Funny thing is theae days hi points are almost indestructible lol

2 Likes