Striker Fired vs. SA/DA

I have gone thru a couple different handguns for concealed carry. The first one, the slide cracked, so that was the end of that one. The second one was the Sig 229, but then I do a different job, so it was not easy to conceal a full size gun. Now I carry the Sig 938. Carried the 238, but I wanted a larger caliber since the level of violence here lately has gotten higher. I finally bought a couple Glocks, but the first thing I do is buy an extended slide release, extended take-down bar, and the lighter trigger bar. Sig’s are expensive, but they are based on German machine work, which in my humble opinion, is the best. All boils down to what you practice with, and what you can hit your target with, and what type of firearm you can manipulate in a very stressful situation.

3 Likes

I carry a Glock 17 for work and I carry a SCCY CPX2 for concealed carry. The Glock, of course, is striker fired. The SCCY om the other hand is DAO and has about an 8lb trigger pull. In the several times that I have had the SCCY to the range, i jave not had a malfunction with anything other than Blazer Brass. The trigger doea take some getting used to as it has a long reset but i have no qualms about recommending the SCCY to any one eapecially those that are on a budget and looking for a good reliable weapon.

2 Likes

I’ll but in my vote for “striker fired” being a sloppy trigger. Browning got it right when he did the 1911 trigger.

In a class the instructor (a Glock guy ironically) has a picture of a Glock with a wind breaker, waist adjustment “spring button” caught in the trigger guard. What happened was the guy tried to reholster it and it fired the Glock into his leg.

I mentioned that would not have happened with a 1911 (as you will thumb safe it before reholstering) and he said “that don’t mean a thing to me” lol. I bet it means something to the guy with a 9mm slug down his leg.

3 Likes

Sure it’s preference. But the 1911 trigger makes it compete in a whole different category than the Glock (to pick a typical striker action) in tactical competition (like IDPA).

The other trigger types have a disadvantage.

So the categories go: 1911 -> Glock-like -> Revolvers -> Muzzle Loaders -> Switch blade -> Straight Razor -> Bricks -> Bare Hands

2 Likes

IMO, one can be competent with any decent trigger with practice. Some triggers, e.g. striker or DA only have the same pull for every shot, which simplifies the training. Finding the grip/finger position that doesn’t cause the sights to jerk is, IMO, more important than any specific trigger system, assuming it is smooth and consistent… and assuming proper safety procedures are followed.

For me, finding a proper grip and finger position on the trigger with a long, heavy trigger from a DA revolver helps me with my striker and DA/SA shooting. I think that light, short SA or striker fired pistols make it easier to get by without proper trigger placement, but would be enhanced with knowledge of this technique. YMMV.

3 Likes

I guess it comes down to preference, most striker fired pistols have a blade safety in the trigger, i prefer a manual safety and a hammer fired pistol because in double action mode(hammer down) you need to make a conscious effort to pull the trigger. With a lighter trigger while under stress the simple action of someone coming into sight could startle you and the gun go off because the bodys natural reaction is to tense up. However whichever one platform you begin to carry and train with, stay with that one only and don’t switch back and forth.

4 Likes

I’ve transitioned from striker fire back to all hammer guns. I personally feel more comfortable carrying a DA/SA , DA only or SA cocked and locked. My opinion only. I know folks, my son included, who are big striker fire fans. My change came recently after I’d purchased a new 365. Shot very well, but mine had a very nice, light 4.5 lb trigger. Somehow, carrying a “cocked” pistol with a short throw 4.5 lb trigger just didn’t feel “right”. Traded it for a CZ RAMI (and picked up a Bond Bullpup for pocket carry). Feel much more comfortable with them (YMMV).

3 Likes

I stuck with hammer operated. I’d say too many advantages, but then, we all say that about what makes sense to us and we’re well practiced with.

2 Likes

That’s funny you mention that. I have a Security 9 which has what I guess is an SA trigger in it based on the Ruger site. But I bought an XDS that’s striker fired. I can shoot good with both. But I’ve spent more time training with my Security 9. And I’m thinking of getting a 1911 which would have a similar trigger to my security 9 (assuming my 9 is SA).
So I guess I just gotta shoot some more guns and figure out which one I like more. I know I like a SA trigger because it’s not so heavy like a DA. 🤷

3 Likes

Trigger upgrade was mentioned. The Sig P320/M17 late models come with several upgrades including trigger. They may still be upgrading the earlier models for free.
The Canik TP9 Elite Combat and I think a few other variants have Salient upgrades out of the box.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with Canik at all. Are they a lesser known manufacturer like RIA?

1 Like

What are the advantages you see in hammer fired vs striker fired, personally?

1 Like

Canik is Turkish. They build military and law enforcement pieces for the other half of the world lol.
They’ve become very popular here for their quality and cost. All Canik TP9 variants have match grade barrels.
What ever you want in an auto loader, you can probably find it in a TP9 varient…decocker or none, manual safety or none, etc.

1 Like

@luke_ouellette If you pick up a Colt Gold Cup you will be impressed with the trigger. My late model has a great trigger. My 1969 is even better. Adjustable trigger.

1 Like

Some people speak of “crisp” and “mushy” feeling of triggers. This is subjective of course. To me SA trigger action is more “crisp”, while striker trigger feels more “mushy”.
Striker triggers always feel consistent, which is not the case with DA vs SA action. For some, this consistency is important.

1 Like

There is an advantage to the aving the DA/SA. In case of a light strike or other problems, you have the instant second strike option. For many the harder, longer pull of the DA makes for a safe way to carry with “one in the pipe.”
To properly appreciate the DA/SA you really have to practice trigger discipline and get a rhythm not only for the DA but for the long DA followed by the SA pull.
That’s what safe shooting and carrying is all about anyway; repetitive practice in any condition of fire and discipline.
With time, you may come to love it, but then each of us is very different. I never thought I would, but I became a fan of DA/SA with decocker. I still don’t care much for full time DA though I have a few. I may change my mind.
After all, they are quality, usable tools.

3 Likes

I really don’t understand all of the hate for stock striker fire triggers. I’ve shot glocks and m&ps (all stock) and they all shot fine. I of course adapt to my own edc carry gun. I’ve never thought “that triggers bad” just figured I needed to adapt to it. (I’m talking for self defense purposes, I understand the crazy upgrades for contests and what not)

3 Likes

As a beginner I prefer single action. I learned my preference by shooting two identical Sig’s only one was SA and the other DA. I could not stop jerking like a goofball with the DA but felt very comfortable with the SA with it’s quick response. It’s just whatever you prefer.

2 Likes