Straight Versus Serrated Cutting Edges

Saxton Pope once commented that the serrated edges produced by the hand-flaked obsidian (volcanic glass) broadheads Ishi made cut much better than his finest steel scalpels. Regarding knife edges, if you had two identical knives except for their edges, and could flatten out the serrated knife’s blade to form a straight edge, you’d have 10% more length and cutting edge than the other. A serrated edge has more “bite” to it, also. I once did a simple experiment with identical broadheads - one with a stone-sharpened edge and the other with a file-sharpened edge. The stoned edge cut but seemed to “slide” as it did - the filed edge cut but also seemed to “dig” as a result of the micro-serrations filing produced. Cold Steel knives have the most aggressive serrated-edge design I’ve ever seen and used. FYI

1 Like

One huge disadvantage to serrated blades is honing/sharpening is far more difficult and time-consuming. I feel there are advantages to them in certain instances, and disadvantages in others. Sometimes too much bite is not a good thing. They are also not good for planing, and other uses where a larger, flat-edge is better.

6 Likes

Different tools for different jobs.

While a straight edge applies a generally consistent force against the material being cut, the force induced by a serrated edge oscillates back and forth.

A serrated knife won’t produce the same clean line as a straight edge. I wouldn’t want my plastic surgeon cutting with a flaked piece of obsidian.

Try cutting a ripe tomato with each and see the difference.

I prefer my knives to have both a serrated section and a straight section.

2 Likes

If it’s one solid product I found 20+ years ago, it’s GATCO’s “Ultimate” Diamond Sharpening Kit - the original featured coarse, medium, and fine hones with adjustable-length guide-rods contained in each hone-handle - the latest comes in the neat, sturdy snap-lock case that GATCO provides, but with a medium triangular hone for serrated knives, and a fine flat ceramic hone for a final touch. I suggested an accessory kit for bowhunters with a single guide-rod and three grades of slim triangular files, but no dice - even Bear and Son - who now owns GATCO - weren’t interested. FYI

2 Likes

Your repeating yourself. :blush:

Serrated Versus Straight Edges

Guns & Gear

Nov 2020

2 Likes

Hey, some of us have a full hard drive and insufficient memory.

2 Likes

Yaaa, I know. I have that doorway syndrome. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Prevents ennui, starting every day fresh :wink:

3 Likes

At least I haven’t forgot where the bathroom is and ended up in the towel closet yet. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Seeing as I “hit the head” 3 or 4 times a night, I can still remember where it is, myself.This time of year I multi task with a trip to the woodstove as well.

3 Likes

I prefer straight edge for the reason given above, ease of sharpening.

Some uses, like cutting rope, serrated does do a lot better

4 Likes

It’s horses for courses.
A Spyderco Rescue with serrated edge was my companion for the last 10 years I was on a SAR unit in the Sierra Nat’l Forest—it was invaluable when it came to cutting through wreckage, ropes and seat belts, etc…
I have one other Spyderco, a Delicta with a straight edge that I take with me to Los Angeles when I visit my daughter.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Her hard drive looks full, maybe that’s her problem… or mine… :sunglasses: I did actually like that movie back then. I am not sure how I would react to it today.

1 Like

@John292 >> if I’m not mistaken the primary purpose of a Serrated edge
Was designed for cutting rope and similar material. I have never used a serrated edge much or tried to sharpen one but I have tried cutting heavy rope and a good serrated edge goes thru rope like butter, try it for your self anyone else if you doubt it.
PS: if you get cut from a serrated edge, that’s not good. Also: never cut toward your self and always put the knife down if your not using it. If you do get cut there’s a good chance you didn’t follow those rules.

one rainy day when I was a line man for a power company we were in the line garage pre cutting and skinning the ends of heavy gauge transformer jumper cables. We were using a line-mans knife to skin the cable that look like a tile knife with a razor sharp hooked blade. I was a young buck and I was sitting near a older buck skinning cable, he looked over a said: “ never cut toward yourself “ I said ya ya ya uooops, he yelled
“ Someone take BLACKY TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR STITCHES “ so don’t cut toward your self you see. Be alert you can get hurt.

1 Like

@John292 @mattm @Todd30 >> €€€ Safety tip for knife use ( the hard way ) >> put knife down when not using it.

• shot 9 point whit tail * deer run fare away * took hours to follow blood trail and find deer * spread legs to gut deer, leg didn’t spread because of
    Rigamortus * razor sharp Buck knife in one hand, try to pull legs apart with knife in hand { NOT GOOD } ** Cut three fingers on other hand to the bone * nothing for first aid with me * wrapped surveyors tape around fingers * surveyors tape comes off fingers while gutting deer, blood and guts in cuts, pain now throbbing with every hart beat * re-wrap fingers, got er done.
    ***** So what two things did BLACKY LEARN ? ******
    The End
    BLACKY
2 Likes

How to shoot better, and carry a first aid kit?

1 Like

@Dave17 >>> I had to take a gut shot because he stoped in back of a blow down in the back of me. The only part of him then showing was from the ribs back. I knew as soon as I turned he would bolt. I was using a coyote load ( 7mm08 w/120 grain hollow point ) if I can’t get a neck shot I’ll let the deer pass. But this was a exception. I new I would have to track him and I wanted this monster bad.
**** MY SHOT WAS TRUE MY PLAN WORKED ****. BLACKY LEARNED TO ALWAYS HAVE ELECTRICAL TAPE FOR FIRST AID AND PUT THE KNIFE DOWN IF YOUR NOT USING IT.
AND TO EAT DEER STAKES WITH ONE HAND TILL I GOT STITCHES OUT.
**** THE END BLACKY ****

1 Like

@BRUCE26 @mattm @KURT17 @Todd30 >> FYI. How ever you get your knifes sharp, what helps to keep them sharp is to not let other people use them.
Other people in the house can us serrated knifes and hack away. I have personal knifes that only I use for eating and hunting. At home I cut on wood or plastic dishes ( not glass or porcelain ). A couple of swipes on a Diamond stick does the trick. When I eat meat ( I am a meat eater ) I use my house knife.
A while back I got My Son a nice steak knife, I think every meat eater should have one you see.

4 Likes

Kind of fond of Brontosaurus :sauropod: myself. Gave my wife my old SOG for her gardening this year.

2 Likes