STATISTICS: How often are firearms used in self-defense?

How often do you hear someone against firearms say that if it saves one life we should have more gun control?

What if it saves 162,000 lives when people carry firearms for their self-defense? Now you’re saying, show me the research Dawn, cause I love that argument!

Here you go!

Check out that whole article (click on the blue text) - it’s got great information! Then come back here and let me know what you think!!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, and there’s this site too: Gun Control – Just Facts where you’ll find information like:

In 2013, President Obama ordered the Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to “conduct or sponsor research into the causes of gun violence and the ways to prevent it.”[28] In response, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked the Institute of Medicine and National Research Council to “convene a committee of experts to develop a potential research agenda focusing on the public health aspects of firearm-related violence….” This committee studied the issue of defensive gun use and reported:

• “Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed….”

• “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million….”

5 Likes

I love using these stats, i’d Like to say it’s a mic drop situation. And I feel like saying to the anti gunner. Contestant number 2 please leave the stage. But doesn’t go that way usually.

4 Likes

That’s an incredible article! I saved a copy for future reference. He has a lot of good arguments, not the least of which is that we have the right to defend ourselves, regardless of statistics. The statistics he gives are pretty mind-blowing in themselves. I encourage everyone to read the article.

2 Likes

you-have-a-right
I have this saved on my computer and I do post it when I see a post saying that no one needs a gun for protection or that guns are never used in self defense. And I get people liking it.

3 Likes

@DBrogue here’s that post I was telling you about with statistics. You have the same graphic that @Reloader54 posted!

2 Likes

The question I got was; Where did these numbers come from? As in how can they be verified to show the numbers are correct.

1 Like

Check out the links in the first two posts (the two just below)- they link to the research behind different statistics :slight_smile:

Check out that whole article (click on the blue text) - it’s got great information! Then come back here and let me know what you think!!

and

Gun Control – Just Facts

3 Likes

You can also get the stats from the FBI web site, the CDC, and I also think that you can get them from Crime and Research as well.

4 Likes

@Dawn just came across the justfacts site as I was searching for details on crime rates in Missouri. Awesome info there!

1 Like

I got a posting on defensive gun use. from all over. and I saved it to use when needed. And the person that posted it said that I could share it with anyone that wanted the info. so here is the full 130 page report. and here is the link to it.
www.modernwarriorproject.com

It is their "Black Label Report Vol 1. And it has all types of stats for gun use from all types. So enjoy it and use it to quote REAL STATS on gun uses.

2 Likes