States laws on self defense

No two states agree upon how many shots can be used. One state which will be nameless. Your allowed 1 shot in defense, that should give you time to flee.
A person on drugs don’t register pain. Thats a fact, but what if one or more isnt enough?
People with definite mind issues don’t always register pain either.
I have heard rumor from friends in other states again nameless, suggesting wounding the individual.
I was taught if you pull it you better be prepared to use it. Center of mass first shot, if person persist then a follow up shot. I know what my follow up would be, but what is yours ?
You may answer with a picture of silhouette or skeletal target and why?

1 Like

I have never heard of such a law.

My answer is, when lethal force is necessary and justified, shoot to stop the threat. Generically, high center mass until the threat is stopped. If they appear to maybe have armor on and I am able to notice that and adjust, CNS or pelvis would move up the list. Those locations could also move up the list of center mass/high center mass shots are not stopping the threat.

10 Likes

Silhouette example

5 Likes

Well in Massachusetts they prefer you to vacate your home for a criminal enters.
Now you are allowed to shoot them , but make sure they fall inward and not outward.
Yep since my second comment is not allowed since we cant talk about it or mention it.
We have to feel badly for Massachusetts citizens Glock Gen one an gen two is what they can have. Magazine restriction laws.

1 Like

What is your follow up shot Nathan57?

If I read the law correctly in MA, the “duty to retreat” applies in public. I have never seen a law that prescribes how many rounds may be fired in self defense or which way an attacker falls.
Most of these details will be left to forensics.

Was the attacker fleeing, were the shots fired into the attacker while they were face down…etc

I understand there’s no Castle Doctrine in MA. I don’t care where you live, if an attacker crosses the threshold of “my” castle, all rounds fired are meant to stop an imminent threat of grave bodily harm.

Just guessing here, but in deadly force circumstances the resolution comes within 3 to 4 rounds.

It is true, however all 50 states need to be onboard in the self defense arena. Or we are nothing more than animals. Take NY and Chicago, they are zoos. NY, it’s obviously legal to kill and rape on a train. Very smart on the thugs part, no cameras and no willing reliable witnesses. Those that are brave enough to save a liberal life, end up in court or worse.

So the message being sent is liberal lives are NOT worth saving! Not my words, Blue State actions!

Personally I abide by natures laws of self defense! Simple, really, kill or be killed!

8 Likes

That depends. Dynamic situation with too many variables say more than I did before.

My answer is, when lethal force is necessary and justified, shoot to stop the threat. Generically, high center mass until the threat is stopped. If they appear to maybe have armor on and I am able to notice that and adjust, CNS or pelvis would move up the list. Those locations could also move up the list if center mass/high center mass shots are not stopping the threat.

Too add, I suppose, CNS I’ve been trained generally can be seen as taking a piece of duct tape and wrapping it around the head, equator style (parallel to the ground while standing), over the eyes, and where the tape lands give or take is the aiming point for, as needed and justified, a CNS stopping shot. If threat is facing straight on the, old between the eyes or a triangle between the eyeballs and the tip of the nose

5 Likes

My first shot would be a double tap so depending on where my front sight rose to, and settled, would be where my second shot would be.

2 Likes

Around here they use the term “Force” without being specific about what the method of force would be.

Effective 5/4/2022
76-2-402. Force in defense of person – Forcible felony defined.

(1) As used in this section:

(a) “Forcible felony” means aggravated assault, mayhem, aggravated murder, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping and aggravated kidnapping, rape, forcible sodomy, rape of a child, object rape, object rape of a child, sexual abuse of a child, aggravated sexual abuse of a child, and aggravated sexual assault as defined in Chapter 5, Offenses Against the Individual, and arson, robbery, and burglary as defined in Chapter 6, Offenses Against Property.

(b) “Forcible felony” includes any other felony offense that involves the use of force or violence against an individual that poses a substantial danger of death or serious bodily injury.

(2) (a) An individual is justified in threatening or using force against another individual when and to the extent that the individual reasonably believes that force or a threat of force is necessary to defend the individual or another individual against the imminent use of unlawful force.

(b) An individual is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if the individual reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to the individual or another individual as a result of imminent use of unlawful force, or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

(4) Except as provided in Subsection (3)(a)(iii):
(a) an individual does not have a duty to retreat from the force or threatened force described in Subsection (2) in a place where that individual has lawfully entered or remained; and
(b) the failure of an individual to retreat under the provisions of Subsection (4)(a) is not a relevant factor in determining whether the individual who used or threatened force acted reasonably.
4 Likes

Why is it nameless? Are you afraid their storm troopers will come after you? JK
If I am in a self defense scenario, I will fire as many shots as it takes to neutralize the threat. We have no duty to retreat here in Mississippi. Oops, should that have remained nameless?

5 Likes

There is no law that tells you how many rounds can be fired to defend yourself. You shoot as many as needed to stop the threat.
What you may need to explain is why did you shoot rounds that shouldn’t be shot…

7 Likes

There are some unwritten “laws”, that is a prosecutor can almost count on a conviction. One such rumored rule is self-defence at a distance greater than 20 ft. Remember Elisja Dickens’ 40 yd righteous hit? Remember how the MSM went after him? It is a rumour, but I keep hearing it.

As far as aiming to wound, the “shoot them in the leg”. If you do anything but aim to stop the threat to life, then the DA will call you for not being really afraid for your life, and just acting out of malice and blood thirst against a disadvantaged A+ scholar.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’d call it an “unwritten law” that a prosecutor can “almost count on a conviction” because some people in the media said something

1 Like

“I never touched the trigger! The gun JUST WENT OFF! MULTIPLE TIMES! ALL HEAD SHOTS!”

Prove me wrong DA Alvin Chipmunk

1 Like

Went to the local Dollar store today. As usual I had my pistol strapped on, don’t leave home without it. Anyways as I was passing by the cashier after paying. I noticed she saw my EDC as the shirt I was wearing is shorter than what I normally wear. I only said have a blessing day and walked out. No body got excited and I didn’t want to upset the two customers at the self checkout line. I go there all the time but I think this is the first time she noticed I carried.

2 Likes

I went to an open carry event a few yrs ago in Destin Fl. We were openly carrying as prescribed in Florida while Fishing.
So people complained to a life guard , in full view of others . He said mam you are safer here with these gentlemen than walking down the boulevard in broad daylight.

4 Likes

Robert 1246 my ammo for my 357, magnum is called DOBBEL tap 1,58GRAINS, how kool DOBBEL TAP HOLLOW POINT 357, magnum my colt my favorite my back up is m&p S&W 9, millamiter 17, round Magazine I am so kool I stay frosty and I wear a vest :100:proof !!!? I dig tweety. Very KOOL :bangbang::100::100:

1 Like

Jerzy I am a giver and If I have to shoot I AM till EMTEY 18 rounds :rotating_light:the trigger Stuck :hammer_and_wrench: