So many questions!

Passive aggressive? Is he retreating or still on the attack? He has a weapon pointed at you. Your only target is his back. Is chasing him justified? I wonder why? I just found this an intriguing meme. So many questions here.

6 Likes

He is still a threat, and we shoot to stop the threat.

9 Likes

It looks like he’s in hot pursuit. Is it self defense if you’re chasing him?

5 Likes

His finger is on the trigger and his weapon is pointed at me, without hesitation I’m going to shoot until the threat has stopped. Whether it’s in his back or not

6 Likes

Depends on why your giving chase. Since we can’t see what in front of him. What if, out of line of sight, is your family and he has just threatened to harm them, and is heading their direction?

7 Likes

Are you sure he is being chased or just running away the second he sees you get your gun?

I first saw this when referring to the accusation of police shooting people in the back. In that case, pursuit would be appropriate, so context matters.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s a good question, first whether I’m law enforcement or not that gun is still in my face, that constitutes attack mode, shoot and end the threat. If I’m a civilian, why am I chasing is the prosecutors first question. If I’m law enforcement, it’s my job to pursue!
Based on that image, duck and shoot! “HOPE” he misses, is that a tactical option?

3 Likes

Dodge left, throw that plastic gun down and shoot him in the back with your real gun.

9 Likes

Oh this is an easy answer @Michael554…Yes.

Yes, I’m shooting him in his center mass which in the particular case and angle happen to be his back the rationale is he clearly has a gun pointed in my direction (I don’t care if he’s running away from me or not with it pointed at me) and I have already viewed him as a threat because my gun us up at the ready.

Yes, I’m hoping his misses me…just because I shoot and even hit him center mass does not necessarily prevent him from firing particularly as they have the photo cued up…I think he very well would get a shot off at me regardless of whether I discharge my weapon or not and regardless of whether I struck him or not.

9 Likes

Has weapon pointed at me, still a threat. Why shoot in the back? That was the target presented.

5 Likes

Step off the line to the left. He’d have to turn around to reengage

5 Likes

It looks like he may be retreating but this may be his way of trying to take you out, I would shoot to try taking him out before he takes me or my family out or friends I am with.

4 Likes

I hate single pictures like this. Is the person with the camera standing still? If he is then shooting is self-defense. Is the person with the camera in hot pursuit? If he is then it’s not self-defense. See what I’m saying. The picture doesn’t give enough information to make the right decision.

I’m not a lawyer.

1 Like

@Justin47 Exactly. There us so much context missing, which is kind I’d why I posted it. Except for the verbage, I wondered was the guy in front attempting to withdraw and being forced to defend? The words eliminate that option. I would absolutely say shoot. There might be other context which makes that questionable. I thought it was an interesting scenario, with a possibly easy choice.

3 Likes

I hear you @Michael554. Even when you are forced to defend yourself, it’s still not and easy choice.

1 Like

Chase - NO. Shoot? Yes if you feel your life is in danger. Only the previous few minutes before this video would clue you in to this. If you do shoot, even if justified, sure would be great to have a video record of it. The courts will show you no mercy.

3 Likes

Further thinking on this. Would be great to have some kind of mini body cam running 24/7. Dont know of anything small, non intrusive, that lets you do work without potentially smashing it… but it would be a great product. Plus, I dont wand anything of mine going to the cloud. I didnt trust it when it became available and I still today dont trust it, even if encrypted. Whoever invents it could become very wealthy considering todays litigious society.

2 Likes

This man is still in the fight and pointing his gun at you. You need to stop the threat. It’s either him or you. Only you can answer this question. I know what I would do.

1 Like

Even if a good kill… without witnesses how do you prove he was pointing a gun at you and not retreating with you chasing him?
Just saying. I assume he is not being chased. Without some kind of witness to verify your story I wouldnt want to be you in the courthouse. Not saying you are wrong, just saying often life is not fair.

2 Likes

I like @Paul008’s answer. If he turns to re-engage then he is definitely an imminent threat of grave injury or death. If he just keeps running away without trying to re-engage, then I would think that would be a no-shoot scenario. Of course the big caveat here is it is all well and good for all of us to analyze all of this from the comfort of our computers, it’s quite another proposition to have to make decisions real time in the dynamics of an actual event . :slight_smile:

2 Likes