Starting Out Carrying

@Brian139 Thank you for this advice! Actually, your idea about having someone tag along with you to give you the piece of mind is not a bad idea and I am going to implement that at least once! Its funny you mention having another person with you though because I actually went to the range recently with a friend who is not a big guy and wears more fitted shirts. He was appendix carrying and I didn’t even know until he pulled his firearm out! I had planned on carrying o’clock due to… other concerns lol, call it self-preservation if you will haha but it may be something I experiment with. Great advice and thank you!

4 Likes

Seeing my CCW instructor at the store knowing he was carrying as well, and would give me feed back if he saw anything I could do better.

5 Likes

Welcome, awesome question. A lot of new folks ask it a lot
I was all in from day one, cocked and locked 24/7. I was extremely conscious of EVERYTHING around me especially people and the condition of my weapon, It felt like all eyes were upon me. Kept asking my wife, can you see it, can you see it, everywhere we went. Walking into certain establishments were disconcerting, banks, airports, doctors offices and hospitals and restaurants that served liquor, certain businesses. For nine years I was a Process Server. Knocked on a lot of strangers doors and entered a lot of businesses that put up non-binding do not carry signs. IE: Starbucks…
The more I carried the more I researched the laws and my own confidence by practicing my skills, not just shooting but my situational awareness skills.
Have you ever noticed how some people trained babies to swim, well that’s how I approached concealed carry, sink or swim! Carrying now for over 11 years, it’s as normal as brushing your teeth.
Carry with confidence, only we know you’re carrying.
Pay close attention to people and the laws of your community.

6 Likes

Thank you so much @Scott52! Great advice, I think I may need to do just that as well. Just do it. haha. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Thank you @Greg1! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer those and helps me envision how I will carry and what to look for. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Welcome WiscoViking, not only have you useful information here, you’ll find more and more as your eyes are opened, and new nuances come to mind. All of the above is excellent feedback. As you carry on from here much that concerns you now will feel like an old hat soon. At first, work on the fundamentals (they are always some version of this): 1) Any and every firearm is loaded until you prove it is not. Treat it with due respect. If it leaves your hands and returns it is loaded until you check… 2) Never, ever, point a weapon at something (or someone) you are not accepting responsibility for destroying. Thus, always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. 3) Do not place your trigger finger on the trigger until you are confident of your target, your line of fire, and what is beyond your target; only then make ready to shoot. 4) lookup this list here for a comprehensive list of the NSSF’s ten rules.

After a while, it’ll seem like you know them and know them well, but believe me, like everything else, you will pick up nuances refreshing what you think you do!

Carry at home, from the time you dress until the time you get ready for bed. The practice will help you understand so many different aspects of daily carry you haven’t even thought of yet. About holsters, you may discover - as many have - they are intensely personal, sometimes seem to work until they don’t, and by the time you next look, you may find a crate of them in your closet. Don’t throw them away, though! Sometimes, after not using, you can pick one up and find it works with an adjustment or a different belt. With your firearm unloaded, practice drawing and replacing the arm daily. In the beginning, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Believe it, and you will see. Practice this patiently - daily!

Dry fire. Dry fire a lot. Dry fire every day. And do it with purpose, don’t just pull the trigger absentmindedly. You are seeking awareness of the trigger, and it’s pull. You are observing how the hand wiggles the gun when you are pointing at a target. If you have a laser, activate it while you are aiming and dry firing. The more stable your dot stays on that target, the better you are coming to know proper mechanics. When you can afford it, I highly recommend purchasing a Mantis X. (I trust you already have an android or I-phone smartphone?). This little Bluetooth device mounts to your firearm or a magazine for it and will teach you more than you could ever learn on your own. Maybe faster than someone else could guide you with the time it would take for you to understand what they’re communicating.

Get to the range and put some ammunition downline. Work on it as homework. Be aware of flinching, and if you’re doing it, unload your firearm and practice the dry fire drills you’ve been doing at home for a few moments. Then reload and try again. If you have someone with you, or can ask one of the range team, have them stack a magazine or the cylinder of the revolver with a fired shell. Having an unexpected failure to fire can show you if you need to deal with an unconscious flinch. By-the-by, the Mantis X works when you live fire! Seriously, check it out.

(Everything probably changed by the time I worked this all out. Anyway. Good Journey. Remember: The only dumb question is the one not asked!)

8 Likes

First, understand we have all been where you are. I don’t believe any of us believe we know all we would want to know, nor Have trained as much as we would like. You might try carrying at home to get more comfortable and learn if your rig actually works as desired. I also use a laser cartridge to practice dry fire, which is really useful, right now. Practice, practice, practice, until you feel confident.

8 Likes

Glad to see you’ve gotten off to a good start! Just remember… This is a MINDSET. Create good habits. It’s just like military training - Do it the same way every time and you won’t have to think about it. I got my first handgun back in 2013. I did my research for a while. Glocks do not work for me as the grip angle is all wrong. To this day, every time we have a simunitions event with our LE Explorers, I have to take a couple of seconds to practice flexing my wrists down to accomodate the Glocks they use.
Here in Florida, you can carry in your vehicle without a permit as it’s an extension of your castle as long as your gun is ‘securely encased’ ( in something that has to be opened to gain access to the firearm - could be a shoebox). I did that for a bit. I got my XDs in May 2013. This was the original that was subject to as recall and was sent in, waited a few months to get it back. While I was waiting, I applied for my CWFL. Issues there with someone who isn’t me… I got my XDs back from Springfield in late August/ early September. We were going to South Carolina for Thanksgiving, my license arrived the day before we left! With the time I had my gun, I had been carrying it in the car everywhere I went. I guess that got me used to having it around. It was always loaded 7+1. The 5-rnd mag was loaded as well and in the carry bag. For carrying, I use the VersaCarry Zero Bulk Extra Small holder. It has been phenominal! I carry everywhere I go.
One thing I will say is: KNOW your State and local laws! Find gun rights seminars. US Lawshield (sorry for plugging the competitor!) has some excellent classes, costs for a non-member are slightly higher than for a member, BUT there are never enough resources for solid information! Buy books on gun laws pertinent to your State. The more you know, the better. These books throw a lot of scenarios at you and offer advice on how to handle them. Find gun classes where you actually move around while handling your firearm - moving while drawing, moving while shooting… Realistic training. Shooting holes at paper targets will familiarize you with your gun, that’s about it.
Enjoy your carry life!!

6 Likes

We offer legal seminars and a great (dare I say the best) reciprocity/ gun laws map available, @Shayne. And our reciprocity map, Ask an Attorney videos on YouTube and other social platforms, and online Community are free to help everyone learn their local gun laws.

8 Likes

Howdy , I would deffently recommend USCCA drawing from the holster class . It gives you more confidence and was very helpful with the shooting drills from the class, my wife and I loved . After that class we have no problem carrying in public . Continue your training as much as possible, it makes all the difference.

4 Likes

I have been around firearms my whole life but have to admit the first time I went out while CC I was nervous about it.

I was confident of my abilities but I live in a very anti gun area and didn’t want to cause others discomfort.
My attitude about that has changed. Others do not get to make me feel bad about who i am and what I choose to legally do.

At first I carried most of the time, still thought about the feelings of others first but once I became more confident in how I would answer the questions and negative opinions it became and still is EVERY time I leave the house.

Given the current state of affairs I find it difficult to understand why everyone doesn’t. Well that’s not entirely true, I do understand why some do not I just dont agree with most of their reasons.

I guess what I have been trying to say is build yourself confidence and dont just train and practice with your firearm(s) but train and practice with your brain. Go over the obvious questions you think you might be asked and have a calm rational response ready

Hope this answers at least some of the questions you asking.

Don

4 Likes

WiscoViking

Welcome to the Community.

I have been carrying concealed for at least four years, and my gun is on me 80% of the time.

1. I carried my smith and season shield loaded from the very beginning; however for the first week or so I kept it on safe because I was afraid it would fall out of the holster while I was playing with JOJO who was two at the time or Ayri who was four back then. Now that I have confidence in my holster, I don’t ever have a safety on the gun I carry now.

Modern firearms will not go off unless someone pulls the trigger.

1. I carried my Shield to work, and if my boss or anyone saw it, I would have been terminated. So my handgun needed to be covert. I could not afford for anyone to have a clue I had a weapon on me. I also carried my gun to my grandparents, who at the time were very much anti-gun, and in the interest of family peace, I kept it covert there as well.

2. I discovered how to carry my gun in such a way that no one had a clue I was armed. I was at work one day and ended up with 20 police officers around me, and none of the cops showed any indication they had a clue I was armed. ( to be fair I was not the focus of there attention, but they were all within 7 yards of me.)

Hers are some things I did that may help you.

I would walk up to a family member or friend who knew I carried and ask them if they could see any indication I was packing. I would turn around since I carry at 4 usually. If they saw any printing at all, I would change shirts until the printing vanished. I would also do this while bending over to make sure the gun would not print while I was bending over to pick something up.

I discovered I could carry a full-size handgun under my Eddie Bauer hoodie and that no one has a clue the gun is there. This cover garment is useless during the warmer months, though, because it is too hot.

Button-down shirts with square bottoms are great if left untucked.

You can carry a Smith and Wesson Shield in the front pocket of a pair of cargo shorts while wearing a short sleeve shirt and flip flops, and no one has a clue your armed once your comfortable.

I have been carrying concealed every day for at least four years now.

Carrying Concealed is a lifestyle, and there is a lot to it.

1. How do you avoid a potential threat or deadly threat, so you never have to use your gun?
  2. How do you quickly draw your weapon and defeat a cover garment and then stop a deadly threat?
  3. How do you treat a gunshot wound and save your own life or one of your loved ones who gets hit by a bullet?
  4. What do you say after the police arrive?

The best piece of advice I can offer is this develop an effective strategy for avoiding possible threats and deadly threats before your forced to reveal your firearm.

90% of violent encounters in the USA can be avoided if you’re aware of your world and take effective action to prevent conflict.

I hope that helps.

Ps. After four years and lots of practice I am confident that unless I have to pass threw a metal detector no one will be able to tell I am carrying who does not know me.

10 Likes

Greetings to all. I started to carry concealed a couple years ago. I had many of the same questions and concerns as you expressed. I started off with a Glock 19 and Safariland outside the waistband holsters. It was winter so I got by with concealment ok. But it didn’t last. I went down to the much smaller Glock 43 and in the warmer weather I even got busted with that in an outside the waistband. That’s always been my biggest fear is to have others see the gun print. I looked for a more concealable method. I had tried inside the waistband a while back and it was very uncomfortable. I finally evolved to purchasing 5.11 Apex tactical pants. With a waistband 2" bigger than normal these pants are absolutely amazing for concealed carry. I found a comfortable position and cant and with a Hidden Hybrid double holster, inside the waistband, that Glock 43 just disappeared. Very comfortable also. I was hesitant about moving up to the Glock 43X as it adds about 1/2" to the grip and I was afraid it would print. After fine tuning my holster location at 1:30-2:00, the 43X is also concealing very nicely. I actually forget I am wearing it, it is so comfortable. Backing up in time a bit; I grew up with guns that had manual safeties. When I first considered concealed carry, I was quite intimidated by the thought of carrying a Glock with a loaded chamber. So I didn’t. As I grew to trust the set-up I finally loaded it up hot. Now, I am comfortable with that. It’s a journey of trial and error and continual growth and change to get to your own comfort with carrying concealed. I now carry daily unless I plan to go somewhere firearms are not allowed. My initial fears of concealed carry have now evolved into a respectful mindset which includes being patient and understanding of others as the ultimate win of concealed carry is to be able to leave your weapon in your holster. Take Care. Wisconsin Will

4 Likes

I agree 100 percent, situational awareness and avoidance of any encounter or conflict is crucial.

2 Likes

This is a great topic ! I just started CC about a week ago even though we live in a supposedly very “safe” area of FL . I have only one gun ,a S&W Shield 380 EZ with a CT green laser. Just got back into shooting after 32 years and bought that model because of it’s ease of handling, loading mags, racking ,etc. Was not going to carry, but events happening all over changed my mind and the fact that we are in our mid 70’s. Very difficult finding a holster for that model, so ordered a custom leather forward cant OWB model and heavy duty belt. Fits perfectly. Already had my ccw card and about 800 rounds in at Shooters World with many tips from the awesome workers there ( lots of Ex LEOs ) The first day of carry, I felt like I had a neon sign on me ,lol ! But soon learned that 99 + % of the people really are busy minding their own business. Carry with one loaded , but manual safety on. Very tiny handle bump showing at 3-4 position.
I plan to get a Sig P365 as soon as finances allow since it fits my small hands perfectly and love the trigger pull. Also checked out a Hellcat, but didn’t feel as good. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3 Likes

Excellent choice of gun and not bad for carry. First of all it’s an M&P, and it’s ease of operability says it all. The only thing negative is over here in VA 380 auto rounds are hard to come by. I did some deep searching and finally picked up 2 boxes of Sig V-crown HP rounds. I’m sure you will enjoy carrying it. It feels like a full size pistol because of the grip. Just practice and become comfortable with it.

3 Likes

My job required that I open carry in uniform and concealed when not it uniform. This was before concealed carry legislation was passed in Kentucky. Kentucky law allowed police officers to carry concealed deadly weapons and sheriff’s office policy required that weapons be concealed if not in uniform. Policy also required that all deputies be armed at all times when in the county or in a sheriff’s office vehicle regardless of which county you were in.
A common practice with law enforcement at the time that still continues today is that most LEOs kept their badge on their belt right in front of their holster just in case a weapon was inadvertently flashed.

One thing I will note, if you carry a gun that has a manual safety, I strongly suggest that you practice and carry the safety on. If you don’t want to use the safety, get a firearm without a manual safety. If you carry a weapon one day with the safety on and another off, you are much more likely to mess up when you really need it.

5 Likes

Hey Dawn good morning thanks for the help with the edit there I just used the quote thing for the first time and messed it up. SORRY. I’ll get it eventually.

4 Likes

Thanks very much for the awesome reply @Jonathan4! I appreciate the posing of other questions to help sort out the answers that would be relevant in a dangerous situation. Very helpful!!

2 Likes

Shhh… that was our little secret! (You just needed a return after the quote section to make it stand out.) :wink: :innocent:

3 Likes