Starting a Neighborhood Watch?

Serving really good doughnuts at neighborhood watch meetings is a definite plus :wink:

2 Likes

Yes and forgot good donuts, A Krispy Kreme close would be nice for sure

1 Like

My wife and I started a neighborhood watch in our development. We worked with the county sheriff’s department and were registered. We would deliver 109 pamphlets to let everyone know of the neighborhood watch program in our area. We did this for 4 years and only got 6 or 7 home owners at our meetings per year. If something did happen in the development the homeowners would call my wife or I thinking we could take care of the problem. We always told them they must call sheriff department but they wouldn’t because they were afraid of the bad guys retaliating on them. Also, if the sheriff department was called it would take 30 to 45 minutes before an officer would show up. My wife and I finally had to give up doing the neighborhood watch because of these situations. We had a security company install a system and cameras all around the outside of our property, since we did this we’ve had very little problems at our homestead. Our outside cameras have help in 2 arrests of other neighbors robberies by identifying vehicles and time of happenings.

2 Likes

My Sheriffs dept are great guys. We know a few of them. But depending where a deputy is on duty at the time of a call it can also take a min of 25 mins for them to arrive. Our security most of the time is awareness. We live in the country and family are close in. We are our physical security. Cameras and such dont hurt either especially with night vision on them. Our watch is a decent group of folks that will come running when a neighbor is in need. We still have that farm community mentality we grew up with

2 Likes

I am fortunate to live in and area with the old fashioned style of neighborhood watch. People just watch out for each other and keep an eye on someones place when we know they are away. Pretty much everyone is well armed. Some of us have been talking about using FRS radios to communicate when the power, internet, and phone go down. This area has had two major floods in the past 45 years along with countless wildfires and 30 inch + snowstorms. Crime has not been a big problem at least during the daytime, but after 30 years with the Volunteer Fire Department I am aware that there are some serious creepers traveling our roads when the sun goes down.