I've always wanted to ask this. About a militia

How do you go about forming a militia? That is well regulated and answerable to the correct Constitutional authority?

I haven’t seen one that I could believe in, as all the ones I have seen have an agenda that I can’t get behind, or they have a bunch of thugs who are there to get their violence on.

6 Likes

@Zavier_D

That is a good question…

I’ll do some research on that and get back to you. Maybe there is someone who has an answer already on here.

However, I do see what you are talking about because there are none that I see that I myself could believe in.

3 Likes

Some States have them, as defined in their Constitutions. You can also look up CIDG (Civilian Irregular Defense Group) for some answers.

5 Likes

Well I did some research and it would take an act of Congress or Presidential oversight. Pretty much. You could start an Irregular branch but I don’t think it would recognized.

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered why a “well-regulated militia” is assumed to be plural, or otherwise comprised of multiple armed citizens.

I self-identify as a militia of 1.

6 Likes

You already are in a militia. We The People are the militia. Look up the militia act. Also I can tell you in Illinois there is similar language. I’m on my phone and not going to look it up at the moment but if I remember correctly all able bodied adult males are the militia.

Well regulated, in regards to the second amendment means, “trained and equipped” in the vernacular or the era.

As far as joining a militia group, I would if I could find one that doesnt pretend to be an army. I’m all for shooting and training and organizing. But not wearing camo, saluting etc…

6 Likes

Here, here…….

5 Likes

Here in the Communist state of NY, our State Constitution says we can’t form a militia.

Many states consider National Guard the Militia.

1 Like

If you just got together with some friends and called yourself a militia, I don’t see how they could legally stop you. Freedom of Association. Thank you Mr. Madison.

NG certainly has roots in the militia, but I don’t think there’s a 1:1 equivalent. If there were, every adult male in good health would be required to join the Guard. Also, some states actually have a state militia, and it isn’t the NG.

5 Likes

I think, this is a very timely topic. Especially, with what is going on right now.

Since Covid 19 started I stay up all night until well after wife gets up. Standing post I guess. But since the riots and threats started against my town. I have body armor, 4 fire extinguishers, A garbage can full of water, flour, blankets, rescue ladder in place at back window, my .45 and 5 magazines, as well as my AR-15 and 3 mags as well.

Then a prepared cover position at most vulnerable dynamic entry position to my home. I listen to police radio band all night. While I read or do something else.

My immediate neighbors are to old so I am watching out for them. Rest are law enforcement and most are on double duty right now.

I know that people are unhappy about the George Floyd situation. I am to. The optics are horrible. I am still withholding judgement until all facts are present.

But the rioting, looting are to much. So many are missing all the acts of selflessness, kindness, that other LEO’s are doing.

Are we as a nation really going to judge 1,000,000 men and women, who put there life on the line every time they put on their uniform. For the actions of less than 1%

7 Likes

I toyed with the idea of starting what might be considered a militia. We wouldn’t plan to fight or anything. I was mainly thinking that I’m tired of my friends blowing up their lives and that if we all got together and forced military discipline on ourselves it would help.

Yeah, it was a dumb idea. It wouldn’t have worked, and would have opened up a whole can of legal worms. Still, lots of range time would be fun.

4 Likes

Just call it the “Man Scouts.” :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve thought about joining the Louisiana Militia but…

I don’t know if I would agree with their views…

1 Like

From some of my old notes from a few decades back I have this. I no longer know my sources and what parts are my words or someone else. It simply is what it is:
To address your militia question. The Founding Fathers understood that America’s independence might be threatened on occasion. They viewed the militia as a wall against such aggression. They understood the fact that it will be easier to staff the militia in times of need if the people were able to provide their own arms. The added benefit they would understand how to use them. To that end, we have the wording of the Second Amendment: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” They did not expect the people to keep cannons and the like. They expected them to have arms they could “bare” and would be on par with what they might face.
So the real operative question then becomes who are “the people?” The answer is obvious, that the term refers to the citizens of the several states. The proof is easily found in an analysis of the Preamble to the Constitution. It is an act of the people, and not of the states in their political capacities. It is an establishment of government between each and all the citizens of the United States, as distinct parties. The language is, We the people of the United States, (not We, the states,) do ordain and establish; (not do contract and enter into a treaty with each other;) this constitution for the United States of America, (not this treaty between the several states.)
Since framers of the Constitution, being one and the same as the framers of the Second Amendment, it can not be said to have had in mind a different definition of the term “the people” in the Preamble, as opposed to te same term when used in the Bill of Rights. The right of the people, as identified as the individual citizens, to keep and bear arms is therefore established and the militia is defined as the people.

7 Likes

You are the militia.

We the people, make up the militia.

As for those you see in the media, most are well meaning, Constitutionalists… some are rather absurd in their views, and some are simply seeking trouble…
But, they are not generally the militia spoken of in the Constitution.

Several states (have not done research on all the states to see which ones have militias), have an official militia, aside from the National Guard…

In Virginia the militia;
§ 44-1. Composition of militia. The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied residents of the Commonwealth who are citizens of the United States and all other able-bodied persons resident in the Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least 16 years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than 55 years of age. The militia shall be divided into three classes: the National Guard (Virginia National Guard), which includes the Army National Guard the Air National Guard; the Virginia Defense Force; and the unorganized militia.

The Virginia Defense Force is entirely under the authority of the Governor and not in any way under federal authority. In Virginia it is strictly volunteer. There are also the military schools and cadets that provide officers.

There is a small difference, at least with Virginia, versus our founding era, and that is a well to do person can not simply provide for a force of men and be their commanding officer. During the founding era, while there were fools… most had some knowledge and education and experience with military, tactics, strategy, and warfare, and were capable officers, due to the times, when people studied such, and / or military service in one of several national militaries, British, French, Prussian, Scottish, ……

A small group can form and call themselves a militia, but generally they are not the ones mentioned in the Constitution, with the exception of the unorganized militia which is made up of the citizens of the state, so if you want an official militia, look at your state and see if they have one currently active.

4 Likes

I always thought the idea of a militia was cool, in its purest form. It’s not something that is talked about in my community. I think it’s viewed as a bad word & has negative connotations. But, it has a certain appeal & nowadays more than ever, seems necessary.

The Tarheel Militia… Is that a real thing? I know somebody has thought of that already. Would I agree with their principles? :thinking:

2 Likes

10 U.S. Code § 246

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b)The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

3 Likes

I’ve commented on this before as there are guidelines in NY for militias. I live in NY also. The guidelines are easy to find. I’m interested in how you came to your conclusions about militias in NY.

1 Like

Does one really need to “join” or being an American enough to be considered part of the militia?

As for groups with the word “militia” in their names, we know how “Antifa” is not anti-fascists in reality. It’s easy to hijack a word for malicious intent.

1 Like

I would have liked to have had others I could count on during the recent unrest. It was emotionally draining for me staying up each night with my cameras on and making sure my environment was as safe as I could make it.

Knowing that if violence came it may have been me alone against God knows how many.

3 Likes