Star Trek Phaser

Imagine the police having a Phaser that stuns someone and makes them totally immobilized. Imagine having a phaser like that of Star Trek. We have already by-passed the flip phone or the " Communicator." I know this is out there but, the fact is, a tool like that could change a lot of things. Shooting a deer with a Phaser and having 100% haul on all the meat. Tell me if I am wrong in thinking that there is a way to do this. What are your thoughts on this? Just stupid or do I have something here?

12 Likes

I don’t think you’re that far off. I think it may already be in the hands of D.A.R.P.A.

4 Likes

Not stupid, just ahead of the technology. I don’t know how the Star Trek phaser works; possibly by projecting an electromagnetic beam which disrupts the body’s neurological systems, similar to what a taser does.

As I understand it, the problem with energy weapons, especially the hand-held variety, is the tremendous amount of power required for them to operate. Batteries the size of a minivan come to mind. Or maybe “an un-licensed nuclear accelerator” in a backpack?

9 Likes

Shotgun Joe notes that we can have James Bond weapons so along as we’re in whackoville how far off can phasers be. At the very least Flash Gordon type

2 Likes
8 Likes

Phasers are on the way, just give them time. I remember when the telephone had wires. Sooner or later, the Taser will become a wireless device.

Beam me up Scotty!

11 Likes

I’m waiting for the transporter to be commercialized.

You shining the lazer at peoples eyes… into that cell
Flash riot … beam me up scotty

4 Likes

Your photo, all I have to say is very poor grip. It was amazing how they never missed without kinesthetic alignment, no sights on the thing, and virtually shooting from the hip most of the time. There never seemed to be concern for what was behind and beyond the target.

Fun post!

2 Likes

Not a dumb idea at all. A phaser is a weapon phased array pulse energy weapon that is more sophisticated to lasers (according to the Star Trek technical manual), because of the energy pulse that it uses as well as it’s ability to be tuned to various settings depending on your situation (e.g. a laser is a heat energy weapon, a phaser is not so no burning at lower settings).

One challenge with a phaser would be that it’s a constant pulse beam (vs a bullet like pulse) and so once you hit your target, if your target moves, you’ve got to manage to keep the beam on the target. You’d want more of “blaster” type weapon like they have in Star Wars that sends a energy bolt like a bullet (the Star Trek equivalent of photon torpedos would obviously be too large for deer, :slight_smile: )

I think we’re a way off from phaser type weapons, but laser weapons are here and in current use by our Military.

:nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

7 Likes

So @MikeBKY and @Greg35…so the concept behind the transporter is that they scan and break down an item at the molecular level…send that data in a signal to another spot and re-assemble it from the molecular level…so the question becomes…is that really still the same item or just a copy?

One could argue the original was destroyed back on the transport pad and what rematerializes is just a copy. And so everyone in the Star Trek universe that has ever been transported is not really that person, but a xx generation copy of the original…

Just a little Star Trek existentialism this morning for you. :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

5 Likes

@JamesR
So essentially the transporter accelerates a 7 year process common to all of us. My understanding is that with the normal/average rate of human cell death/regeneration, if you go 7 years without seeing someone the next time you see them they will be literally an all new person, at the cellular level.

6 Likes

If the phaser just immobilizes people it’s not lethal force you don’t have to worry about intentionally killing someone anyways and gives you a way out, or call 911 once the person is immobilized.

3 Likes

Mind blown @JamesR! I wonder where I left all those dead cells @Greg35?

Better yet @Johnnyq60, phasers can be set to stun or kill!

6 Likes

You guys are too much.
I just want a setting on my microwave that can cool my potatoes off a bit if I get them too hot.

8 Likes

That @Greg35 is an excellent point and observation!!!

Like a Dr Who regeneration (except without all the special effects and apparent pain)…the same, but not quite the same…

I bow to your nerdiness m’lord… :nerd_face: :+1:

3 Likes

Freezer setting (aka set in the freezer), 30seconds? :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey @elonmusk are you on this yet?? We’re waiting!..

2 Likes

I did not know that @MikeBKY :joy::+1:

2 Likes

USCCA Community Board debate thread in the year 2220:

Topic: Should you carry your phaser on stun or kill?

Pro Poster - It would take you 2-3 seconds to reset the phaser to a higher level and when seconds will literally determine whether you will survive that Romulan attack you won’t have time to fumble around with settings keep it on kill

Con Poster - If you keep it on kill you risk accidental termination of a life form when deadly force was not needed and it would be tough to articulate at a United Federation of Planets tribunal why you terminated said life form instead of stunned when it was available to you.

:nerd_face: :rofl:

8 Likes

Haha, great post topic.
Some things never change.

5 Likes