Stainless Slides

Looking at putting together a P320. Strongly considering purchasing a stainless slide from Sig and a Faxon threaded barrel. I’ve actually never owned a stainless slide gun. I hear they’re good for humid areas. Any experiences with either products please let me know how they hold up. I’m not concerned about scratches and the like, I work mine pretty hard, more concerned with rust, corrosion, etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’ve been running a SS Colt officers Model for 30+ years, it’s not as pretty as it once was but there are no worries about scratches as it’s all the same metal. I have “Two Toned” it a bit and the blue is a bit closer to purple on the parts that get the most wear.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Thanks @Craig6. Figured it was not an issue.

1 Like

Stainless will rust, if you neglect it bad enough. It is just more “resistant”. I have not had a problem with mine at all.

2 Likes

I love stainless on carry guns. For whatever reason I have VERY corrosive sweat and in the old days credit cards with the magnetic strips, even in my wallet, were only good for a few weeks on me. If I have a blue steel gun next to my skin and I do not wipe it with oil every night it will have a rust spot wherever it ouches my skin by day two. Even some of the new high tech finishes I manage to eat right through.

SO, a big YES on stainless on carry guns!

1 Like

I don’t know specifically what Sig uses, but many newer pistols today are stainless steel with a black coating on top, or plain stainless without the coating for aesthetic preferences. This is one of the reasons why bluing isn’t an option on many current offerings, as bluing requires a carbon steel (not stainless).

2 Likes

Well, stainless can be blued, just more popular to use a variety of coatings on it. I like my stainless carry gun, it is non coated, and a pretty good corrosive resistant finish, but stainless can rust.

1 Like