Spring Cleaning: First Time Cleaning a Gun

Nothing was covered! :rofl:

2 Likes

“Let’s give him a hand, folks. He’ll be here all week. Try the veal.”

4 Likes

LOL!

1 Like

First time cleaning a new gun is always special, and oddly comes with a touch of FEAR. Mostly the fear that I will not be able to put it back together correctly or will lose or break a part :laughing: Actually now one can find videos on Youtube, but back in the 80s when I started that wasn’t an option. So there would be this embarrassed phone call to a friend. You try having your first gun be a Ruger MK2 and you’ll understand.

There is also a special fear with carry guns. You knew it was working before you took it apart, but you can’t be sure it is working after you clean it without shooting it again. Yet you are betting your life on this thing. Hmmmm.

But really for me the joy of that first cleaning is seeing how the gun generally works. And more recently, how over the years manufacturers have made it so much easier to field strip their firearms.

3 Likes

@MikeBKY That was…amusing.

Speaking of cleaning firearms outdoors at ones residence, we clean ours on the front patio. My neighbors and anyone passing through need to know we are armed. The solicitor traffic, Jehovahs Witnesses, etc., has decreased significantly since we started doing that…

4 Likes

Or a Ruger Mark III…

4 Likes

Is it safe to disinfect G-10 Grips and or any other parts of the weapon with Clorox wipes?

3 Likes

@Scott52, I would take the grip off and test the inside of the grip. That way if it does have a reaction it won’t show when it is reassembled.

5 Likes

Maybe a quick burst of Lysol spray? I literally just did this with a revolver my daughter dropped off for me to look at. I did not think to test it on the rubber grip first (oops). It did not discolor it thank goodness. Lol

3 Likes

Man that is the truth. Those Rugers came apart easy enough but putting it back together was one of those things you had to be shown.

2 Likes

To add to my 1st reply, heres a pic from my S&W 642 Airweight I bought today, and just cleaned. Will fire it in a day or 2…

3 Likes

Picked up my brand new VP9 yesterday, cleaned it inside and out and went to the range today. Flawless operation except noticed all my shots were low and right. Turns out the front sight somehow got slightly pushed left of center. Anyway that’s not the story here. When I was talking to the range officer about it, we talked about cleaning and he said he cleans his guns at around 2,000 rounds and basically said if a gun won’t operate that long w/o cleaning, its not a gun he wants.

So my question is when do you guys/gals clean your guns. Honestly, I’ve cleaned mine after every trip from the range. Is that pampering my tools too much?

2 Likes

The range officer may well be correct about how often they NEED cleaned. But as with everything else in the responsibly armed world, you’ll get a gazillion answers that boil down to personal preference.

Personally, I clean my carry gun if I fire only 1 round. But, I’m very uptight and picky about my firearms…I realize the amount of cleaning I do isnt necessary, but since it surely wont damage a gun, I just do it my way.

4 Likes

My feeling is there is a reason I have a gun and the reason won’t mean anything if it doesn’t work. Give it the best opportunity to work when you need it.

I’ve gone to the range twice in the last 3 weeks with my brother-in-law and both times he’s had problems with his old guns. Now these were guns that are no longer made, which is cool, but he doesn’t or hadn’t cleaned and lubed them for years. He hadn’t shot them often either, but if you want them to work, you need to work on them.

3 Likes

What he said. After I shoot them, no matter how many rounds, I run a bore snake through and they get a few drops of oil. 2000 rounds seems about right for coming apart to be cleaned and oiled.

4 Likes

I usually go a few hundred rounds (250-500) before a real cleaning. In between, I’ll wipe things down and run a bore snake through the barrel.

5 Likes

For G10 grips I take them off, use water, dish soap and a scrub brush. Pay dry with a towel, rub in some gun oil or mineral oil, then towel dry again. Clean, vibrant, and like new. :+1::soap::sponge:

5 Likes
  1. The owners manual
  2. YouTube
3 Likes

I used to clean them after every range session. Now, if it is just one I shoot at the range, I will put at least several hundred rounds through it before cleaning, every two or three ranges sessions. With my CC firearms, I don’t do a full cleaning every time, but I do wipe down the outside, the mags, and swab the barrel and chamber.

3 Likes

I do clean my guns after every range visit. I basically field strip it, oil/lube internal moving parts, put solvent on a rag and clean the slide and frame and definitely pay special attention to your barrel and recoil springs. I look forward to cleaning them. With a new gun I normally would clean it right out of the box.

2 Likes