New Shooters: Have you cleaned your gun?

Cleaning a gun for the first time can be a daunting task. How often should it be cleaned? Should the takedown lever really move like that? What if all of the parts don’t fit back together the way they did when they came apart? What if there’s an extra part after the gun is back together???

Ok, you might not have those exact questions, but you’re bound to have some questions when it comes to cleaning your gun. Here’s your perfect chance to ask questions about cleaning your gun!

Those who have cleaned multiple guns, please give some great advice to the new gun owners here!

5 Likes

I take pleasure in cleaning and maintaining my guns. Lots of opinions on chemicals and frequency to be sure. One thing that is not debatable IMO is YouTube for the “How To” part of the process.

4 Likes

Keep the user manual / technical manual.

4 Likes

User’s Manuals suck :zipper_mouth_face: (these are manufacturers’ Legal Protection Plan)
Watch videos from reputable source.
All modern firearms have a great videos about “what, how and when”.

5 Likes
  1. To answer your original question, every firearm should be thoroughly disassembled, cleaned, checked, reassembled, and function tested before the current owner (even original owner) loads it with live ammo for the first time.

2. Clenzoil.

3. No actual substitute for live, in person, hands on training from someone competent; BUT…the closest thing to a reasonable substitute is YouTube. It is almost certain that there is a field strip video on YouTube for whatever firearm you can think of. Usually 3 or more. Some are more useful than others.

4. Read and keep the mfg’s manual. Start a file of them. Disregard 100% of the advice you get from anyone who says otherwise.

5. Now field strip and reassemble your EDC firearm(s) until you can do it blindfolded in less than 90 seconds…including a passed function check by your timekeeper at the end.

3 Likes

Just shower with it. You’ll get clean the gun will be clean. Win win.

2 Likes

It’s important in keeping your firearm in its safest working and best performance. Others and I have acknowledged that once you start cleaning it, it can be relaxing. Often times, I listen to music while working on it. It feels good upon completion, knowing you completed a chore and that it’s in tip-top shape. Enjoy

3 Likes

My favorite from the other 15 on gun cleaning that new shooters can check out, just type in Gun Cleaning
in the search icon in the upper right. :+1:
Crap, won’t play here, just click on woodsman.

Larry79

Nov '20

The Classic Woodsman – 24 Jan 20

BUCKET LIST PRIORITY: GUN CLEANING MONKEY (VIDEO)

Ever wish you had a little gun cleaning buddy? Well why not train your monkey to do that job? Witness the gun cleaning monkey that might just be the perfect helper. A Glock pistol is so easy to clean even a monkey can do it. Really!

1 Like

If you want to take a break from cleaning the guns try this:

I hope this stays up they are pretty funny!

3 Likes

@George98 To good, Thanks for the laughs. :rofl:

1 Like

As stated, read the manual, search YouTube, always clean and lube your gun before shooting it. If you buy from a gun store, ask the salesperson to show you how to field strip it, and you might want them to recommend a basic cleaning kit for your gun.

@Ken38 I could probably strip and reassemble a striker fired gun blindfolded, but not so much getting the slide stop in the barrel link on some 1911’s. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Fred_G The first pistol I learned to field strip and reassemble blindfolded in under 60 seconds was a full-size Springfield Armory stainless steel 1911A1 back in 1986. Good times!

2 Likes

To each his own. I’ll watch some videos to pick up some new ideas or to clarify things I don’t understand, but I don’t rely on them. There are some great folks out there who make great videos, and then there are people who think they know what they’re doing and spread bad ideas. Frankly, I don’t always know the difference. That’s why I always refer back to the TM; if the user in the video deviates, I need to know why. If it’s just because someone wants to show how smart they are or how they have the tools to do level 40 maintenance, I’ll pass. Plus, I can read a lot faster than I can watch a video.

3 Likes

Good point. But I’ll always start with video to visualize the process (especially being newbie), then possibly verify it in manual.
I don’t like manuals because they’re mostly not so clear as videos.

Funny…I always say “RTFM”… even I’m avoiding reading it… :shushing_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

@Jerzy Just means you are more of a visual learner. And you aren’t wrong about all the lawyer-driven CYA in owner’s manuals nowadays – for everything. But the mfg’s well-considered advice and documentation should always be our base-line point of reference for any tool or machine operations, maintenance, and repair.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you guys. :+1:
Definitely I learn by watching. Reading is always for verification or whenever video is not available.
The user’s manuals should be written in 2 versions: for users (who need to understand what are they reading about) and lawyers.
I found a lot of manuals not clear enough to be understood by first time user. And the manual should be for this kind of users.

I love videos because they explain everything we need to know in simple way. You do exactly what has been seen.

1 Like

5 Likes

truthfully I don’t clean mine. my husband is a veteran and he likes the quiet time after we go to the range to clean his and mine.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Marcie .

What is your husband’s current lead time? I’ve got bunch of handguns I can ship for cleaning. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

haha you just made me laugh. nice to talk to someone with a sense of humor.

1 Like