Spring Cleaning: First Time Cleaning a Gun

I always breakdown and clean a new firearm before I get to the range. I also make sure the action works properly and that I fully understand how it functions before I put live rounds in it. Also, unlike the meme about men, I always read the owner’s manual first before doing anything with the firearm.

4 Likes

That’s correct, mags on the top rack :smiley: @TexasEskimo

4 Likes

That might be OK if all you are shooting are jacketed rounds. I cast my own lead bullets so it is wise to check and clean the barrel from time to time.

Well that’s my opinion anyway.

2 Likes

I clean and lube my barrel when I clean my guns. A squirt of solvent, a few runs with a brush, a patch or two with solvent and a couple dry patches followed by a snake two or three times. Another patch with oil and a dry patch to finish it off. I’ve seen some pitted barrels in my life and I’d rather not have to deal with those.

3 Likes

Disassemble, clean, and lube before even going to the range.

Learn how to take it down, and all mine essentially soak in lube, all moving parts and wipe any access.

4 Likes

So you melt the lead and make your own bullets! Dang! That sounds like fun too! Where do you get the lead? I looked into this for a little bit as I blacksmith for fun, I read if you go to tire centers they give you or you can buy buckets of old tire weights, was that true? Or, is that lead too dirty and such?

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to come across a life time lead supply which was already at the proper hardness level. (No mixing in other metals to get it there.)

Pure lead is a little soft, while it will work you will see a lot more deposits left in the gun barrel and may have to consider putting gas checks on rounds you normally would not need to.

Currently I do not shoot any high power rounds which would lead to the need for gas checks. From what I have read you do want to use them on any rifle rounds you might reload (I currently only do handgun reloading).

Wheel weights I an told are a good source although I have not used them since I was casting with my dad as a pre/young teen.

You might also be able to try scrap yards and see what they might sell you.

As far as being dirty there are things you do during the smelting process to eliminate most impurities .

Do some digging on-line and purchase at least one good book for reference.

If you have a specific question I will do my best to try and answer it.

Don

3 Likes

As an RSO, I come into contact with a lot of new to guns people. I have to remind them that they should always clean a firearm, before they go to the range for the first time. It (1) aids in their personal understanding of how it works and (2) they can discover any abnormalities on the firearm before they send the first round down range. Firearms are designed to function quite well despite being fired a bunch of times, so being anal about cleaning them is a bit over the top.

5 Likes

Admittedly, I’ve been lazy about this. Neither have ever been apart…or cleaned in any way, outside of a few drops of oil from the outside and a bore snake.

I (re)discovered how easy firearms are to take apart, clean, oil, and reassemble. Only 10-15 minutes each. The variations in tech is really fun to explore.

I promise to do better…

3 Likes

I’m like a nut when it comes to cleaning and polish.

I know it can be harmful to a Glock to persistently clean it for no reason therefore, try to wait until about 500 rounds…Give or take.

1 Like

Instead of cleaning the same Glock over and over, buy like 4 or 5 and then split the cleaning up. Wouldn’t that be a lot of fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dawn, your statement about how the new gun was taken to the range then the cleaning. I was taught that every new gun gets cleaned before shooting. Now, in my old age, I usually dis-assemble the firearm and clean before it goes to the range.

5 Likes

My family has always picked up tire weights we find in parking lots for just this purpose? I haven’t melted lead in lots of years, but I believe any crud floats to the top.

3 Likes

New “lead” wheel weights are now zinc, which will wreck your melt.
Here’s a test—a little toilet bowl cleaner will cause zinc to fizz up. Discard those before adding to your pot!

3 Likes

True, they are. I still strip and clean mine after using any one of them. It’s how I was taught as a boy to do it.
And, FTR, my friend who owns a Springfield XD had to have it shipped to Springfield for repair. A note came back with it instructing him to keeper the striker channel clean…

3 Likes

Not just the first cleaning, but after every cleaning I do as much functional testing as I know how to do with snap-caps. Since I only have semiauto pistols with a hammer, this is what I do:

• Load 2 or more snap-caps into a magazine
  • Rack the slide verifying the snap-cap loaded properly into the chamber
  • Pull and hold the trigger after it fires
  • While still holding the trigger rack the slide again to verify:
    • “Spent” snap-cap properly extracts
    • Next snap-cap loads into the chamber
    • The hammer does not release – disconnector should prevent this – if it does not, there’s a problem
    • Release the trigger while listening for the disconnector to release
  • Resolve any issues

Edit: If it is a brand new gun, I load no more than 2 cartridges the first time I shoot it to verify semiauto/disconnector is functioning properly.

I often clean mine outside in the back yard. My neighbors complained so I am not allowed to strip when I clean my guns.

BTW, I need bail money.

7 Likes

:woman_judge:

1 Like

OMG - that took me way too long! :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

@MikeBKY I am not certain, but shouldn’t this be covered by your USCCA membership?

1 Like