South Paws

Here is a question I would like to ask…… What about us Southpaws?

In looking through the extensive library of information provided on USCCA website to us members, I have yet to find very much left hand oriented information.

There is a plethora (always wanted to use that word) of information about, skills, training, drills, videos and weapons of all calibers and gauges that are right hand oriented. Articles discussing the replacement, upgrade and correct use of safety’s, slide locks, bolt actions, and many more parts, that are again right hand oriented… seems to be a theme here. Even articles, videos and training about EDC seem to be right hand oriented.

So what about us Lefties? Where does one find information for and about us lefties when it comes to the comments mentioned above? Where are the videos, articles and the drills? Where do we find information on how to effectively convert, change or even add parts to our EDC equipment to enable us to comfortably run and safely control their use?

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Gary479 and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

@Gary479 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:
If you have questions for USCCA call 800-674-9779. Friendly help 24-7-365. :+1:
Most training drills are the same R or L handed, firearm manipulation can be different
depending on the firearm, more manufactures are making pistols for L-handed shooters. Improvise-Adapt-Overcome. :thinking:
P.S. Go to You Tube and type in left-handed pistol shooting’ I came up with about 15.

Left handed shooters - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Improving Pistol Accuracy - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

7 Likes

@Gary479 Welcome aboard

Only left handed people are in their right mind.

We have to struggle in a right handed world.

Finding what works for you and adapting righthanded instructions is a challenge.

@BRUCE26 provided some good info.

9 Likes

I have found a distinct advantage being a lefty in my martial arts class. People get pretty confused when they realize my lead hand and foot are opposite of what they are used to:) Though when my coach switches to southpaw it messes me up as well:/

I am a lefty and shoot pistols lefty. Not much of an issue for me. I just use my trigger finger to work the magazine release. I shoot rifles righty since I’m right eye dominant so no lefty issues there for me either.

11 Likes

@Gary479 , welcome to the Community :handshake:

I welcome you as another left handed shooter. As other mentioned… you don’t need any special treatment… everything for right handed applies to left handed.
You only need to find the platform that supports your left hand. There are many ambidextrous firearms we can choose from or simply adjust ourselves to right handed tools (fe 1911, 2011 pistols).

And remember… being left handed is a gift from your Creator.
Right handed shooters have everything told straight, so they just simply do automatically as manual says… We left handed must think about what we are about to do… That makes us a little smarter… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ok… I’m just kidding… :grin:

Or maybe not… :thinking:

11 Likes

Not kidding, we are! :rofl:
Hello and welcome @Gary479

7 Likes

Since I have a support for my words…then… I’m not kidding

6 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

I joined the Navy on Friday the 13th of August 1965. Coincidence, I think not!

9 Likes

Does that sign carry the weight of law or is it a “pls don’t do that here” sign?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

4 Likes

If you’re shopping for pistols, the Walther PK380 and Grand Power pistols are totally ambidextrous except for their ejection ports - there’s no need to switch controls. The Walther has a “sling-shot” slide release, while the Grand Powers have identical, mirrored controls - these were deliberately designed for lefties in mind, and are ideal for those training themselves to shoot off-handed. Both makes are hammer-fired, DA/SA, and their triggers are highly rated. FYI

5 Likes

I’m a lefty. And I’m also right eye dominant. I do use my left eye when shooting with optics. But I have learned to shoot with both eyes when shooting with open sights. Most of my guns are normal for either left or right hands no issues. But I bought an AR-15. And when I bought it is got one for lefties. No extra cost. And I love it. I got a scope for it that I have yet to put on it. I need to do it them go out and sight it in.

6 Likes

Here’s some info you might like…

And these…

Best Pistols for Lefties | The Best Handguns For Left-Handed Shooters (wethepeopleholsters.com)

6 Likes

If you watch fencing competitions, like in the Olympics, you’ll see the same thing. Lefties have a real advantage. Even lefties hate fencing lefties.

As to the OP question, just take the drills you find and adapt them, like you have to do with everything else in life. (As a minority group, we are the most routinely discriminated against.) You wouldn’t want a left-handed drill from a right-hander, anyway.

Some left-handed drills from a lefty would be kind of neat, though. I can’t think of any I’ve seen. I’m sure they exist, if I had better Google skills.

4 Likes

You can add Stag Arms the the list. My AR-15 is for lefties. And all I had to do is to ask the gun store that I was at to find me an AR-15 for lefties. And Stag Arms is the one the y found for me. I bought a scope for it that I need to mount as well.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone. There is/was a lot of good information and some advice… I like all they pro LEFTY support. I agree totally.
Shamrock you commented -Some left-handed drills from a lefty would be kind of neat, though. I can’t think of any I’ve seen. I’m sure they exist, if I had better Google skills
That was what I was asking about…I have not seen any as well… It would be nice to see an instructor lefty of course demonstrate drills.
I think that I have adapted as you all have as well to being a lefty in a right handed world. Learned to drop magazine by using index finger instead of thumb on release
And the many other adaptations we have awesomely managed to get to where we are today.
Again THANKS everyone who replied…. And yes we lefties are in our right mind

6 Likes