Left handed shooters

I have been exercising my second amendment rights and my carrying a firearms everyday for self protection for about a year now and been training at the range as muchi can .when my wife made the decision to carry a firearm everyday after receiving her conceal carry we hit the range hard but the problem is my wife shoots left handed and it completely threw me off I just assumed everyone shot right handed. Shot placement is a huge issue with her. She is using a 380 and her grip is a issue I’m so used two thumbs forward grip which doesn’t work for her any one have any tips for a better grip style that will help her improve bing a left handed shooter

1 Like

I am a lefty, too, but the only thing that makes it different is many firearms are not ambi, so mag release takes a different method. I will state that you also should be shooting off-hand. Therefore, you should also have some understanding of the difference between left and right hand shooting. I shoot offhand as well. The same factors in grip for right hand apply to left hand. As to her not using both thumbs forward, that is not unusual, sometimes it is also due to size of hands to grip, other times it is just preference.

When shooting with two hands, the important part is getting your hands/palms on as much of the grip as possible, and locking the wrists. Turning the offhand wrist down, so the thumb is pointing straight forward locks the wrist and aids in recoil management. That, too, will get the thumbs aligned forward. Dry fire practice will help, as you can study the grip and see how steady the firearm is with one grip over the other. The coin on the slide is great practice for new shooters, regardless of grip style.

[Edit] I also feel that being a Lefty and being able to shoot with with either hand helps in training others, as I can have the person stand back safely to one side and see both sides of the grip/how I grip the firearm.

3 Likes

I agree with Dave, as I am also a lefty. Remember, in the beginner stages, shot placement is defensive shooting, ie hitting the mass. Gunfights are in close quarters. Dry fire.

Keep up the practice!

4 Likes

Her being left handed should not be any different as far as grip. She’s just gripping the gun on the opposite side. Follow the same principles as if she were right handed. The only difference may be the controls on the pistol. Keep practicing and her shot placement will get better. Also if she shoots with one eye open she need to align the sights with her left eye…

4 Likes

I am also left-handed and agree with the comments posted so far by @Dave17, @SKIdaho, and @Johnnyq60.

The only difference I have found on semi-auto handguns is that I quickly learned to hit the magazine eject button with my forefinger instead of my thumb. I am able to do that without shifting my grip, something I was unable to do with the one handgun on which I had switched that button.

3 Likes

I believe all us Lefties have learned that “trick”. :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

This blog article maybe helpful for new leftie shooters:

3 Likes

The only thing that may be different (for me anyway) is thumb alignment. I usually see people “stack” their thumbs. Not sure how else to describe it. But the off-hand thumb is forward and in line with, just below the slide. While the dominant thumb is on top of, and in line with the off hand thumb. As a lefty I have to make sure my dominant hand thumb is turned at a downward angle, almost like it is gripping the off hand. This is only necessary when firing my springfield xds, but I try to practice the same grip for it and my M&P shield. The reason behind it is if I don’t on my xds my dominant thumb rests on the slide lock area, and occasionally my grip prevents the slide from locking back after the last round is fired. It never happens on the M&P. I honestly thought the slide was malfunctioning the first few times it did it, but I have adjusted my thumb placement and it never happens now.

1 Like

I am right handed,but I practice what if scenarios and do pratice swapping the weapon to left hand and firing with the left hand,and I also practice point shooting with both right and left hand,I also have on demand lasers on my weapons,the pistols they are sighted in at up to 50yds,the lasers are really an asset when you are drawing and Point shooting.I also have 2 XD 45’s that are ambidextrous,thumb safety and mag release on right&left sides+

2 Likes

I am left handed right eye dominate. So with practice I am now shooting right handed right eyed and it is constantly getting tighter groups. It now feels completely natural to fire right handed. Advantage I can now shoot from any corner concealing most of my body and mag release can be worked with my thumb when shooting right handed. Shooting a riffle right side feels so damn confusing. But practice will fix that also.

1 Like

When I was young, I had a pellet rifle that I shot, probably daily. I was able to shoot as well righty as lefty. As an adult when I started shooting handguns, it seemed natural to learn to shoot with either hand.

I don’t shoot nearly as often as I did as a kid, so I will not claim to be as good right-handed as left-handed with a handgun, but it is good to be able to. It can also help you figure what you are doing right/wrong, when you model your strong-hand grip and stance off-hand.

2 Likes