So close... 14500 EDC flashlight

I’ve carried Surefire, Eagtac, Streamlight, Fenix, Acebeam, etc. I’ve found that a 14500 sized light with similar sized head and reversible pocket clip works well in my setup. However, most of the lights that size are relatively floody.

Although I like flood lights for short range or indoors, for longer distances, smokey/foggy/rain/snow conditions, I prefer a spot light.

For the most part, I settled on a Streamlight Macrostream as my go-to EDC flashlight. I’ve used it for work duties when I didn’t bring a dedicated light. Although it’s UI isn’t the best, it’s simple enough to adjust myself around. It’s also relatively floody.

Recently I purchased a Weltool T-1 Pro. It is a 14500 sized spot, about the same size as the Streamlight Macrostream. It comes on in medium (320 lumens), but at 12,000 cd, and the hi is 21,000 cd. I love the concentrated spot beam for a 14500 sized light (without a bulbous head). Unfortunately, it seems like they are all sold out in the US.

However, the UI is med/hi/med/hi/low, and without practice the low can come on when not wanted (if using for momentary on). It is soooooooooo close to what I wanted in a 14500 spot that fits in the back pocket. I can live without the reversible pocket clip.

Just thought I’d mention it if someone else was looking for a “Chapstick” sized flashlight that has good reach. Just remember that the UI is less than ideal for momentary on.

Image from: Weltool T1 Pro Flashlight Review - ZeroAir Reviews

6 Likes

Good price too. $54.00. :+1:

4 Likes

If you like spot beams, you might look at some of the LEP (Laser excited Phosphor) flashlights. They are the latest technology, but are not yet ready for prime time in my opinion. The strongest ones will throw out to over FIVE MILES, and can stay on at relatively high intensity for hours!
The problem is, these beams don’t widen out very much at all. When they come up with suitable diffusers, LEPs will REALLY be bad ass. They have come out with LED/LEP hybrids to try and address this issue.
Here are just a few, with better ones coming out all the time:

Here’s a neat little pocket sized LEP, but only about a 35 min. run time.:

Go to youtube for LEP beam shots.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I still use the spill on spotty flashlights though. If prices ever come down, I might invest in a red LEP for pointing out tree limbs to cut when speaking with arborists.

1 Like

@Ron43xMOS … on the other hand, Happy Anniversary!

3 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I carry the Streamlight Microstream USB in coyote. It comes in high (250 lumens), has momentary on, but cycles to lower mode on the second press in a short time. So not a true tactical light. But small enough for EDC even though I prefer a lumen output much higher than that.

Candle power forums is a great place to learn about “torches.” They have a mechanism to submit a list of requirements and the forum members will recommend a light for you. I’ve never used it. Just remembered it’s out there. Haven’t been over there in a while.

4 Likes

CPF, candlepowerforums, is the best resource out there for sure. I’ve been a member for like 15 or 20 years at this point.

I rarely log in because every now and then when I do, I find like three more lights I just have to buy lol

3 Likes

Flashlights and guns struggle with a co dependency in their relationship. If you have any tips on breaking this addiction, do share.

1 Like

I have a 34 step program I’d be happy to share with you for an entry fee of four low payments of ammo.

4 Likes

I also carry the SL Coyote Microstream when I’m going minimalist. However the light and runtimes on the Macrostream (14500) win out when I grab a light for work. Both are underrated lights IMO.

I’ve been on candlepower forums and budgetlight forum for awhile. Definitely a lot of info and opinions on both.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve been eyeing the Macrostream. I have too many lights though. :grin: (if such a thing is possible.)

2 Likes

Update:

I finally took the plunge, and ordered some heads from Malkoff and an AA body that I’m hoping will work fine with a 14500 Li rechargeable. First head is a hyper throw (2CR123A), the other is a Bodyguard (2CR123A). I have a SF EDCL1-T and a couple E-series bodies (Tactician and old, old Defender) that should give me some options to play around and see what works for me.

Just ordered them yesterday, so it will be awhile.

1 Like

Received the Malkoff items. Tested both the Bodyguard and E2 Hyper Throw heads with a 14500 that is rated for higher amps. Here’s some other flashlights for size comparison:

From left to right: SL Microstream USB, Acebeam Pokelit, Weltool T1 Pro, Macrostream, SL Protac 1L-1AA, Fenix LD30 (18650), Malkoff E2HT with AA/14500 body, SF Tactician, SL HL-X.

Both the Weltool and Malkoff E2HT setup are using similar high amp 14500 batteries. E2HT has a small hot spot with what seems like an unending spill. The Weltool has a small hot spot with a relatively concentrated spill. The Weltool requires a double tap to reach high, while the Malkoff is single output (about the same lumens). The E2HT reaches a little further (specs suggest 21k cd vs 35k for the E2HT). By my eyeball, the Malkoff hot spot is noticeably brighter at distance. By comparison, the SL HL-X lists 27k cd.

A few side notes:

1. I didn’t notice when purchasing that I could have ordered the 2-way pocket clip but the AA body is a little heavy for hat brim use anyway, IMO. You can also purchase the clip separately.
  2. I tested the Bodyguard with this setup in my bedroom for functionality, but carried the E2HT head today.
  3. The SF “gas pedal” switch on the EDCL1-T plus high amp 16340 does not change brightness with the Malkoff head. The SF CR123 body is about the same width, slightly shorter, and lighter. I might use this for the E2HT in the future for the size, weight, reversible clip, and momentary style button… not sure yet. The 14500’s I have have a USB port for charging without a charger… I prefer that when I’m traveling or out and about.
  4. This Malkoff AA body is shrouded and can tail stand.

When it comes to the Weltool vs E2HT/14500 setup I’m happy with the purchase, but think this highlights the value of the Weltool. For 1/4 the price, it punches above it’s price, and is smaller and lighter.

I’ll play around with the Bodyguard v2 in the next couple weeks. I think it might be a better defensive light that can stretch into task light when out and about. I’ll compare it to my SL Macrostream and Fenix LD30 when I do. I wanted lights that always came on high for this purpose. For task only lights I usually like the opposite.

3 Likes

Remember those 1M lumen lights that plugged into the cigarette lighter plug. So many ppl were using them to poach deer at night they were removed from the shelves. Or at least I never saw them again.

1 Like

Update 2:

Brought out the Bodyguard v2 head (BGV2) on the 14500 setup and compared to my Fenix LD30 and SL Macrostream. The LD30 is my go-to 18650 for all- around (SL HL-X for searching outdoors), but for my purposes, I put DC Fix on the lens to increase the spill and soften the hot spot. Note: The Malkoff BG lights run 8 seconds on high, and auto-steps down to medium. Turning off and on (or monetary use) returns to high.

Beams: With the DC fix on the LD30’s lens it does not throw as far as the BGV2, but without the DC Fix film it should be similar. Both are rated around 1,100 lumen from online reviews make about 11,000 cd. IIRC, the spot on the stock LD30 is smaller than the BGV2. Interestingly enough, the spot on the BGV2 after the 8 second programmed stepdown (250 lumen) is noticeably brighter than the Macrostream (500 lumens). SL lists 2000 cd, and I would guess 2500 cd for the BGV2 (after 8 second step down).

DC Fix LD30 is floody but still retains a lot of it’s throw. The Macrostream has a defined hot spot, but is mostly noticed at close ranges. At further ranges its practically all flood. The BGV2 has a defined hot spot and bright spill.

Battery/Runtime: This isn’t really fair, as the Fenix uses an 18650. The SL and BGV2 are using a 14500. Although I could use a 16340,16650 or get an adapter for an 18650 for the BGV20, I’m looking for small and light with the option for daily recharging so the 14500’s stay. The RCR123/16340’s should have a similar runtime to the 14500’s.

The Malkoff is most likely the lowest run time. I’m expecting 15 minutes if I constantly push for High, and an hour of run time if I let it dip into the 250 lumen range. The SL lists 2 hour for high and 8 hours on low. The LD30 has the most modes and the lowest low, as well as an 18650 that boasts 5x the mAh of the 14500. High is listed as 1.5 hours, and low as 70 hours.

Form Factor: The SL Macrostream is the thinnest and lightest. Practically, the LD30 and BGV2 fell about the same in size and weight. Given the thick aluminum body of the Malkoff, some might find this a plus, some a minus. For me, I am going to go with the Surefire 1xCR123 body with a 16340 in the future to reduce the weight. The SF 1xCR123 body’s overall size is about the same as this AA Malkoff body.

Of the three, only the Malkoff body can tailstand.

Controls/UI: All three lights have forward clickies (for momentary or mode switching without clicking on the light). The BGV2 always comes on high (800 lumens for the v2). After 8 seconds, it automatically steps down to 250. IIRC, the Malkoff body has a McClicky switch. The Macrostream comes on high from off. A second press brings it to low. Like many Streamlights, if you continually press the button quickly it stays in the second mode, which in this instance is low. This is a negative for me when it comes for potential defensive use. On a side note, I think this is a plus for the Streamlight Protac models, as too many clicks still retains the final mode in the sequence instead of cycling back to start.

The Fenix’s tailswitch is the on/off switch only. The side switch only changes modes when on.

In the end, as is, the Fenix is the better all-around light, the SL is the better backup task light, and the Malkoff is the better bash around light. However, on a 1xCR123 SF body, the BGV2 takes on an extra notch or two in weight/size savings and still allows for mistake free momentary high use.

I broke down and ordered the old version BG today. I wanted the option to use a single CR123 when traveling, and can still use a rechargeable Li ion 16340 (RCR123). When that comes, I’ll compare the BG, BGV2, and Surefire EDL1-T.