Slings for an AR-15

Alright… so I got an AR-15, a basic S&W M&P 15 5.56 NATO, about a month or two ago I want to say. Anyways I’ve shot it a bit but I’ve been wanting to get a sling for it. I’ve done research on slings and I like the idea of all slings but what I’m looking for in application is to be able to carry it around the farm and not having to worry about it bouncing around but still allowing me to quickly deploy it. Same would go for a SHTF situation. So for this reason I was leaning towards a 3-point sling. But I’d like to hear what all you guys have to say about this topic and please give links. :grin: I’m new to the world of AR-15s as it is but I’m excited to get into it.

2 Likes

I found the 3 point sling to be burdensome while in the military, it was too busy and it covered the mag release on the rifle.

I personally prefer a 2 point sling. I like MagPul 2 point slings because of the quick adjust buckle.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Two-Point-Sling-Adjust/dp/B00JAI14FI

You just have to have the hardware to mount the sling to your liking. I also stow the sling around the stock with a rubber band when not in use.

5 Likes

Are you carrying a AR-15 because you are expecting 4 legged trouble or 2? Seems like a handgun would be better for chores than a rifle? That being said I have the MagPul slings @James mentioned on my AR’s and have been happy with them for years.

4 Likes

I don’t expect any 2 legged trouble really. The area around my property is pretty quiet. I’m thinking more 4 legged like coyotes and foxes. We had foxes come after our chickens and I’d like to have the ability to have something on a sling and easily accessible. Our .22 doesn’t have sling attachments otherwise I’d just use it.

3 Likes

If the coyotes and fox are letting you see them enough to get a shot, then by all means take the AR. But I bet you will only get 1 or 2 shots at them before they start hiding when you are around. My guess is that trapping is going to be your best option to protect the hen house long term.

4 Likes

I agree with you. We’ve shot two fox cubs in the two years we’ve lived in the South. And we don’t see them much anymore. And we have only 3 acres and their hideout is on the neighbor’s property :unamused: and he’s not a nice neighbor atm. So I’m kinda stuck to just shooting them as we see them as we don’t have traps atm. But I’ll keep that in mind if we lose anymore. :grin::grin:

3 Likes

I just got one of these and like it, it is a 1-2 point sling.

2 Likes

You may want to have a chat about the fox and coyotes with an older neighbor you are on better terms with, they will likely have some ideas on a substitute for traps that is free… :smirk:

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. Though every time we see foxes we shoot them if they are close enough to out fence line.
Also as far as slings work… How would I hook up that QD sling if my rifle is pre-designed for clip slings? Do I just buy a new handguard and stock?

2 Likes

2 point adjustable vickers sling blue force

2 Likes

Most AR stocks have a slot for a sling that you could repurpose…

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

2 Likes