DIY AR Sling

I started looking at slings and attachment hardware and got sticker shock! Enough sticker shock that I didn’t want to lay out the cash to find out if I really needed one.

So, I looked around the house and thought why can’t I use a luggage strap? We have plenty of them laying around so why not? I initially tied some small rope to create different attachment points to try out. I now have about $10 invested into an ambidextrous buffer tube mount and at least for now a functional sling to play with. I know, I know, it doesn’t have the bells and whistles of a “real” sling, but I don’t have much invested in it either.

20221014_165754

10 Likes

Does it accomplish what you need it too? If so, that is all that counts. Practice with the way you have it, not the way you ““want”” it to be.

8 Likes

Very good advice :+1:

3 Likes

I like it. When I first got my rifle, I wasn’t sure if I wanted a 1-point or 2-point sling. I had a strap that came with a protective iPad case that I knew I wasn’t going to use, so I used it to test with my rifle. I could make adjustments to use it as a 1-point or 2-point sling, and it helped me to realize I want a 2-point sling. Use what you got, as long as it works. Thank you for sharing this @Gary_H.

6 Likes

I bought a 1/2 point sling on Amazon that came with two mlok qd rail mounts, and some qd attachments. I believe it was $25 or something like that. Does everything I need it to for two rifles, and does it as well as any other sling I’ve had or used. However, use what you have and practice with it. A laptop strap is a good idea! If it works, it doesn’t matter what it originally was attached to. :+1:

1 Like