Silly Alcohol Laws

Standing in line at the grocery store this evening, the guy in front of me is asked for his ID to purchase 2 cans of Beer. He offers up his ID and asks “Why are you carding me?”. The checker tells him “In Utah we card everyone for the purchase of alcohol.” then rejects his ID because it’s an international drivers license not issued in America. The checker calls the Front End Manager over who explains that the only valid ID’s are Federal or state issued ID’s or a Pass Port. The gentleman shows them a picture on his phone of his pass port and the checker rings up the brew. I asked him where he was from, he said London. Trying to be as polite as I could I respond “Welcome to Utah.”

12 Likes

“Your papers, please”:confused:

That is not required in many States but some stores have that policy. Doesn’t matter if you are obviously many decades past 21. I have even been forced to hand over my ID and have it scanned when purchasing cough medicine in the past. Guess they want to track if I am purchasing enough to make drugs or something.

Welcome to 1984. Guilty until proven innocent.

8 Likes

Are those the only valid ID’s to purchase alcohol per state law, or per store policy?

Does it possibly make sense that, with many stores using teenage or barely 21 checkers maybe part time maybe minimally trained (it’s an entry type job I suspect), expecting them to be able to read and evaluate the legitimatacy of foreign documents might not be the most reliable method?

1 Like

I “think” it’s the State Law, and, if memory serves, you have to be 21 to actually sell alcohol.

8 Likes

Prohibition … the gift that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

Why is that accepted instead a hard copy international driver license? Have these ppl never heard of photoshop?

5 Likes

From what I could see/hear all they wanted was a number from a document. SO real or phony didn’t really matter.

3 Likes

Like they were going to be able to type it into a computer and check. How stupid is that?

3 Likes

Does Utah have the silly blue laws like we have in KY? Can’t buy beer or hard spirits on Sunday?

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, do you know why alcohol restriction laws are referred to as blue laws? I don’t like to get too political (in terms of party or politician), but it seems based on my experience that the ones associated with the color blue are typically not the ones passing alcohol laws

2 Likes

No idea unless it’s to keep your nose from turning red.

3 Likes

By some accounts, it referred to the blue wrapping that accompanied printed documents of the late 18th century. More colorful versions propose that the term was a mocking reference to the effort to prevent “blue,” or indecent, behavior, such as adultery, fornication, blasphemy and drinking .

4 Likes

Local Wally World brings in a 21 year old to complete transaction if there is alcohol in the order!

3 Likes

The term “blue laws” (also known as “Sunday laws”) originally applied to laws supposedly enacted by the Puritans in seventeenth-century Connecticut that regulated moral behavior – especially what people must or must not do on the Sabbath — and called for rather harsh punishments to be applied to offenders:

Blue laws allegedly specified penalties for moral offenses such as failure to attend church on the Sabbath; lying, swearing, and drunkenness; and the playing of games (such as cards, dice, and shuffleboard) in public. They also mandated more severe punishments for crimes committed on the Sabbath and regulated the sale and consumption of alcohol. Violators of blue laws were purportedly assessed monetary fines, be whipped, be forced to spend time in the stocks, have body parts burned or cut off, or even receive the death penalty:

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s it. In this age of litigation, retail establishments need to find ways to protect themselves from liability, even liability at two or three removes. If a store were to sell alcohol to a legally prohibited person and that person then committed some crime while under the influence of that alcohol (or came to harm themselves), then any civil attorney would seek compensatory damages -i.e., money- from anyone involved in the chain of events, most definitely including the store which sold the alcohol, erroneously or not. As a result, many stores I’m familiar with have a policy of requiring photo ID from anyone purchasing age-restricted products, regardless of “apparent” age.

That “100% ID” policy also make for a very simple training regimen. “See these products, X, Y, and Z? Never sell them without seeing ID.” End of training. No judgement, discretion, or experience required. No ID, no sale.

That being said, at my age I still can find it annoying. :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t think we have any dry counties left. Unless Utah county hasn’t changed they were the last ones.

This is the bottom line for why.

It’s a pretty simple thing that alleviates all kinds of judgment calls. I remember for awhile some places would be like “if you look under 25 we card for tobacco” or “if you look under 45 we card for alcohol”…who wants to be required by their employer to tell customers how old they look? I mean come on now.

Keept It Simple Silly. Just require a valid USA ID for sale of alcohol. Simple. Done.

CDN media

Yea, I remember reading they were talking about it, looks like they lifted the ban.

Last time I was in a SLC airport bar I was carded each time I ordered a drink - same bar, same drink. I was 55 at the time.

3 Likes