Sig p229 sight picture

I have a sig p229 in 357sig, and I am sooti g about 3in low at 10 yards. Any suggestions. Thought about changing the rear sight.

1 Like

how are you aligning your sights to the target? are you burying the bulls-eye or is it sitting on the top of your front sight?
I’m not sure on the P229, but some handguns like different arrangements in relationship to the target.

Also, consistently low may be flinching in anticipation of the recoil. Do you do any dry fire practice? that will usually show you if you are diving the muzzle at the last moment.

First I will ask RSO to shoot my guns to verify sight picture. If RSO has the same result, that would be the moment to work on rear sight adjustment.
Please be notice, with some guns you have to aim on center of target, with others you aim 6 o’clock.

1 Like

“6 o’clock” or “dotting the i” would be the pic on the left, “center of target” is what I’d call the middle picture, and “buried” or “covered” is what I’d call the pic on the right:

@Jerzy, how do you reference these three?

@Zee, the same… Img1 - 6 o’clock, Img2 - center of target.
I’ve never shot like Img3… and probably would never teach anybody to shoot like this.

Something we have in the safe shoots that way… off the top of my head I can’t remember which one though.

I’m a number 2 guy if I have adjustable sights.

Sometimes with a fixed rear sight you just have to adjust based on where it hits because you’re not going to do much about the elevation otherwise without some serious dremel work.

2 Likes

I’ve been always nr 2 guy… My two pistols and all I’ve rented - all shot the same way.
I saw few people with 6 o’clock option, but I didn’t know if that was designed this way, or they adjust sights for this. Each of us has its own preferences.

2 Likes

I don’t criticize others for their preference. My preference quite simply is that i want to be able to see my hits as I shoot so I never have to change anything to assess the target.

2 Likes

tried all 3, mostly #3

2 Likes

I have no problem with my other pistols 9mm and 45 acp

1 Like

I would say that all three work however consider this, lift your head, and while it may be uncomfortable bring your arms up higher. It may be that you are unconsciously actually adjusting your head, even when you think you brought the weapon all the way up. the test. put the weapon in a shooters vice, line everything up and fire a round, if it hits you know its you. instead of practicing any of the other shooting skill stuff go back to basics of how to hold the weapon and have an instructor take two paint sticks and keep your head in position , while telling you to fire. If you are adjusting your head it will show quickly to the instructor, (you might not even know, if you are a person of larger frame , it may take a minute for you to understand and see what it is you are doing. It may also feel very odd in places your didn’t expect, depending on various aspects of size (arms,chest etc) give it a go and let us know . Happy practicing

2 Likes

@Pumpkin have you tried dry firing with an empty brass sitting on the muzzle end of your barrel? If it’s a trigger control or muzzle dive (recoil anticipation) issue, that will generally show it to you.

The shooting vice is a good idea if you have access to one.

#3 is also called the Combat Hold or Combat Sight Picture. I use that sight picture for my FN and CZ (they are designed to shoot that way). I think a lot of HKs use this sight picture as well.

It is designed for foul weather or low light, and you sacrifice pin point accuracy for speed. It has worked great for me, but I only really shoot those pistols with unsighted fire.

2 Likes

@James thank you, I couldn’t remember what the last one was called, I’ll use “combat sight picture”. It may be an HK we have in the safe that we use that sight picture for… I’ll have to check next time I’m home.

Any thoughts about what is typical for the P229?

1 Like

From the Sig Sauer website:

***My SIG SAUER pistol is not accurate. Why? What should I do?

All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a “combat” sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bullseye of the target. Using a six o’clock (“pumpkin on a post”) or center mass (“half’n’half”) sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2 inch groupings @ 10 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.***

4 Likes

@Pumpkin there’s your answer ^^^
Thank you @James :smiley:

so… if you’re using that sight picture, AND you’re getting a clean trigger pull without dumping an empty brass off the muzzle in dry fire, and you’re not squeezing with the full hand while firing, it could be your sights. But probably the shooting vice is going to tell you the truth of “is it me or is it the gun.”

FWIW, in all the years I’ve been shooting, and all the different things I’ve shot, it’s never been the gun.
:roll_eyes::grimacing::rofl:

Ok, well, it was with shotguns (entirely different story), but it’s never been the case with handguns :wink:

1 Like

@James -> :+1: Thx for clear answer.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks great stuff

2 Likes