Sig P229 holster question

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I just picked up a Sig P229 Elite CC and it doesn’t have the rail. I believe it’s the older 228 body but I was just wonder if I can use this with a holster for the Sig P229 with a rail or one for a m11. Wasn’t sure if it will work or not.

3 Likes

Look for a 228 holster, M11-A1 holsters should work also. It’s a subtle enough difference from the railed version to make a difference.

Is this the version you picked up:

3 Likes

Yes I believe that is the same one. I’m currently using a Legion R holster but looking into a new holster. I know different makers make theirs slightly different so it may not work again. The holster I was looking at didn’t have a P228 or a M11, thought I saw it but apparently not. What do you recommend that has a short enough lead time right now? The holster I have now, won’t work with my claw so need a different one.

3 Likes

As far as quickest lead time right now the best I know to recommend is muddy river tactical. They have an option for the 228 no rail.

I’ve used them before on a FN 509 and I like what they do. They will get it shipped very quickly.

Vedder holsters is one of my go to’s. Not as quick as Muddy River but a darn good holster maker. I did order another IWB from them in July and got it within 10 days, not sure how they’re lead time is right now.

There may be some others who offer for this pistol with quick lead times I’m not aware of.

3 Likes

Thank you for that, I will be looking forward to my new holster

4 Likes

Glad to help!

3 Likes

Also another question, I am a fairly new gun owner. I was reading up on the p229 magazines how there were p229-1 and some without the -1. I am not understanding which one I have

2 Likes

Good question. Sigs line can be very confusing. They have a ton of different pistol models. The 229-1 model is for the newer updated 229s. The 228 and 229 classic carry use the old magazines which were 13 round magazines. Mecgar and other companies make 15 round mags for these versions and they are pretty solid in my experience.

The change was in the grip, hence the different magazines.

I’m a big Sig guy and there are several others in here. If you have more questions fire away. Glad to help!

2 Likes

Thank you for that. So for my p229 would be using the older 13rds? If I were to want a new grip for my p229, Im guessing I need to find one for the older frame?

2 Likes

Yes, if it is the classic carry the factory mags are 13 round. These will work if you want 15 round:

As far as grips go, you can change grips. Just be sure they fit the specific model.

2 Likes

Those mags are alot more reasonable than I thought it was going to be

2 Likes

I’m assuming if you try that firearm in a holster which was for the one with the rail it may be a little loose. I’m sure You can order a holster from one of the many companies we have that make American made kydex holsters. Google Vedder, Concealment Express, C&G, Bravo Concealment etc.

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 is right. Notice the difference in the trigger guard in the photo below:

The trigger guard is where the retention comes from in the Kydex holsters.

Congratulations again on a fine pistol. I’m a classic P series man also. My 229 goes where I go, unless the 226 goes.

2 Likes