Shoulder holster advice

Vertical or horizontal? Planning on getting one for my new pistol which I’m waiting on, supposedly it’s a large frame steel handgun, an EAA Witness Tanfoglio 10mm.
I’m not really comfortable wearing it horizontal as far as the muzzle pointing at those behind me, from the looks of things wearing it vertical seems logical but I don’t know about drawing it.
Currently I’m a big Man, 5’9 1/2 and 270lbs, ex-steelworker, hard labor but loved it, used to be 6 foot but degenerative disc disease has shortened me plus bad knees bowing out like I spent a life riding horses I am working on my weight. If anyone has experience with vertical holsters & any advice I’d appreciate the help, TY Bruno

5 Likes

@Bruno Go to the magnifying glass on the top left, click on it and type in shoulder holster. There are 5 or 6 posts on the subject. I have 2, one of each, unless you have a very large chest vertical is the way to go. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Bruno sounds like you made a good choice, think you will fall in love with the new weapon.
I like and use a shoulder holster in the verticle position. The weapon rides well while driving, stays out of the way if I am doing some activity, and above all conceals well. When properly adjusted the weapon/holster just moves with you, almost disappears. Also, I like leather holsters Galco makes some great shoulder units.
Look forward to a range report.

5 Likes

Although I have a shoulder holster I ended up not using it. But my preference was the vertical. Weapon more secure in my opinion and easier to conceal. I think draw time may be very slightly easier from a horizontal but considering how often you will need to do that in my opinion the vertical will ultimately be more comfortable.

4 Likes

Once upon a long ago (I won’t tell you how many thousands of years!), I carried a stainless steel .25ACP [no, I was not a mindless fan of James Bond] but I initially had a very hard time finding ANY holsters for it. I had a local leather worker engage her classes at a community college in designing and creating a shoulder rig. The result was a tailored, beautifully hand-crafted, 45-degree-angle (downward) holster and double magazine-carrier, for the cost of materials. You might consider contacting a local tech school or community college to see if they offer leather working classes…

I wore that rig for nearly 25 years, but then graduated to a 9mm pistol about 20 years ago. I recently got my .25 and its rig out of mothballs and gave it to my younger brother at his retirement party. Fits him, too, and he loves it.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea. Found a bunch of stuff at youtube, one particular video appealed greatly. It shows a chest holster and originally I wanted the big gun for protection while hiking and this guy puts on a backpack with the large padded waist strap and right there it hit me, I need a chest holster too. A vertical holster would work for my day pack which mostly is a two liter water bladder and a little bit of storage, this is how I’m going to get back into shape, walking the many short trails at the state park.
Wonderful news today was I was released from my oncologist! In fact it was this same day last year I got the news I didn’t have lung cancer so it’s been a grand day, and now the rebuild begins

3 Likes

@Bruno Congratulations. I recently quit smoking (55 days) after 47 years, I had all kinds of tests done before I quit so hoping all is good. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

It depends on what you’re comfortable with. I have horizontal holsters because it’s comfortable for me and I’m always sitting down and driving. If I ever feel I need to pull my firearm, I can rest my hand on it.

4 Likes