Should you carry with one in the chamber?

It was pretty funny, at the range. Wouldn’t be in a self defense scenario. :flushed: Needless to say, after that wake up call I started doing a lot more draw practicing to “overrule”, if you will, that nightly habit.

2 Likes

Harvey/Gary - Great observations. After responding to the first comment, I got to thinking about the mechanics of how the extractor slips over the cartridge as it picks up a round from the magazine, vs. what it has to do to slip over the end of the cartridge if the round is already chambered or mostly in the chamber. Depending on the spacing at the chamber, that could be a truly more stressing task for the extractor to perform.

Thank you for making the point - I might have gone on for years and chewed up the means to reload and fire. And if the extractor is broken - it is only a single shot pistol, truly single shot. Might as well have a muzzle loader.

A great benefit of the community are these bits and pieces. I’ve been shooting for about 60 years now, all kinds, and had no idea about this (not that I’ve ever made a claim to expertise :-)). Just curious if this helped anyone else… (anyone?) I’m grateful to have this little bit of key ignorance removed… Thanks again, this was a great and potentially life saving bit of information.

3 Likes

@Bjorn , when I do dry fire drills I practice as if it were real. I always try to do it as if I were at the range. But the only thing that makes it difficult is that most indoor ranges don’t let you draw from a holster. You mentioned muscle memory, you are correct because you practice what you preach. Also about conditioning ourselves to pull the trigger on the draw, I can see how that can occur. I agree with all your points 100 percent. We do have to be cautious because what we train and practice is what we will end up doing.

4 Likes

Glad this guy didn’t carry one in the pipe… (he’s also a bad guy)

3 Likes

You might as well stick to a 1911 - not having one in the spout defeats the purpose of SA/DA and DAO.

4 Likes

I did carry with one chambered, then I changed my mind after visiting with a friend. For the life of me, I can’t remember what he said. Now I’m back to one chambered. Single woman, want to be aware and ready. Be safe all-

6 Likes

Welcome to the family @Stacey and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Two different views on using the external thumb safety presented below. They reminded me about carrying one in the chamber or not. As someone else mentioned, to not carry one in the chamber is not wrong, as it is better than not carrying at all. Enjoy these vids:

Not using a thumb safety

Using a thumb safety

3 Likes

“Safeties are not a problem”, until you forget or when it fails. One of the first rules about firearms I remember my father telling me as a very young child is that safeties can and do fail.

4 Likes

No mechanism is 100% reliable, but if you compare chance of mechanical safety failing on a pistol to the chance of failure in action and cycling overall, you must find auto pistols pretty unreliable. Got to switch to a revolver!
Human error is another thing of course.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: and what we have here?..
OMG … thumb safety… :scream:

A 2021-03-24 18-34-20

:joy:

4 Likes

I always have one in the chamber. I personally can’t see carrying if the firearm isn’t ready for a self defense situation.

3 Likes

The point is that in firearms training, it is one of the highlighted points that safeties do fail, so you should not rely on a safety to keep you safe. The only real safety are the 4 golden rules of firearm safety (though the NRA now teaches 3 rules).

NRA Three Rules:
Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use

2 Likes

I assume by “use” they are including carrying or staging for self defense. Otherwise this looks like bad language in a bad gun control bill. Hoplophobes would take this to mean the gun must be unloaded until you need to shoot it. Excuse me mister criminal, I have to open my safe to get my gun, then open my other safe to get my unloaded magazine, then open my other safe to get my boxes of ammo. Just give me another minute to load it all and get it ready;)

1 Like

Yes, the explanation of the rules do go into more detail and list “exceptions”, such as when carrying, etc., that most of us already understand. I just tried to keep the post short. The short of it is that unless more than one rule is broken, you are likely to still be safe.

1 Like

It can be a challenge to distill the safety rules into the shortest most concise list possible. But new shooters do need the simplest form possible in order to get the most important points. Those three rules are probably easier to digest and most relevant to new owners taking their new purchase home. Though the knowing your target and what lies beyond is pretty important on the off chance they decide to actually practice with it or have to use it in self defense.

I am just worried about the push in some states to have ammo and guns stored in separate safes. This makes absolutely no sense unless your only concern is the safety of the criminals breaking into these homes.

3 Likes

Very true, which is why we always stress that training and practice are very important. A good trainer, class, etc., will provide examples and expound on these points to aid in understanding these points and why they are so important. Even today, I will re-read basic safety information, just like others read their Bible. You know what’s in it, but it is that vitally important to you that you read it again, and again.

3 Likes

Spot on Steve-G.
As a 38+ year retired LEO/firearms instructor/SWAT team member I agree wholeheartedly, especially contemplating your response PRIOR to the feces hitting the fan moment. PRIOR mental preparation is a key part of how any life threatening episode is handled.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Rick101 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Though, I do carry with one in the chamber!

5 Likes