Should you carry with one in the chamber?

@kevin29, @smiddy, thanks for the question on carrying chambered. I’m new to firearms. I purchased my first handgun in July. I agree a trigger will not pull itself or go off on its own.
My biggest challenge and fear has been to pull the trigger by mistake, negligence, it scares me.
I’ve practiced and my holster has helped because it covers the trigger. I practice slow is smooth, smooth is fast. I know that only practice and time will reduce this fear to a minimum. The information on these posts have helped and are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!

3 Likes

With my Kimber Micro 9, I initially carried with a full clip, no chambered round. I now carry condition 1. It was initially difficult for me to see a loaded gun with the hammer back (much less carrying it that way). I continually worried about the safety accidentally moving off safe. For a short time I tried carrying condition 2. That didn’t last long because I didn’t much like lowering the hammer with one chambered. Now, it is pretty natural to carry cocked, locked, and ready to rock. I have seen too many videos where you either have no time to rack or you only have one hand available.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

4 Likes

Kimber is nice, but the 1911 platform with the grip safety is one way to still have a safety if the thumb safety is disengaged.

Some holsters actually disengage the thumb safety on 1911s, those with thumb breaks to secure the firearm.
Always check the holster to ensure it does not force the safety off, and the one issue I have with Kimber is the lack of a grip safety. On the micro models. They have the grip safety on the 1911s. The micros, as far as I am concerned, are simply 1911 platforms in smaller packages.

I still would carry chambered… condition 1… but the safety disengaging with a thumb break holster would be a concern. Not as much with other holsters

4 Likes

Here’s Springfield Armory’s take on it:

Edit: The article was written by Massad Ayoob. If you don’t know who he is just Google him.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @Michael697, stay safe and train hard :smiley:

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Michael697 glad to have you here!

4 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about!
Sounds like good training while your adrenaline is pumped, especially one handed…dominate and support hand.
Too bad most indoor ranges don’t allow drawing from the holster.
Then again, they don’t always know who is there and what their real intent may be…more situation awareness practicing.

3 Likes

LOL!
Sorry, not sure what cute shoes or boots have to do with racking a slide, but my wife too is petite and she has a problem racking the slides on all my firearms.
Glad to hear you have decided to protect yourself and applying knowledge as well.

I have all my firearms in a safe and hot, chambered and on the ready!
I explained to my wife, if someone is outside trying to get in, hit the panic alarm and get into the room, LOCK the door.
Open the safe and grab any firearm you see, call 911 and standby at the ready.
However, with that said, I’m recently retired and now at home with her all the time, but the drill is still the same…for both of us.
Since we don’t have little children in the house, and it’s basically just my wife and I, I feel it’s ok to leave my firearms locked and loaded 24/7 - 365.

5 Likes

Someone said that if you needed to you could rack a slide using the sole of your shoe. The comment was (obviously) by a man and since men tend to wear shoes that have a strong sole it made some sense. That was why I referenced my girly shoes. I would definitely not be able to rack a slide with my shoes. :grin: In any event, I have a S&W Shield EZ which I bought because it’s easy to rack. But one in the chamber is the only way to go. I have to say it’s also a very safe gun…has to be gripped a certain way to be able to shoot it. That reassures me that it’s highly unlikely that it would accidentally discharge.

8 Likes

Yes, I am a man. However, there are women that do have footwear that are also sturdy enough for that technique, too. My post was meant to be mostly in jest, though the first two methods are possible.

It is good that you have a reliable firearm that you are proficient and comfortable with. We definitely encourage everyone to become knowledgeable and proficient with their carry gear, not just your firearm(s).

4 Likes

This as good a topic as any to cut my teeth on, to carry chambered or not? I do believe that its’ a personal preference along with being in accordance to the laws where you’er at. It’s been proven in Israel that with proper and regular incident related training a person is capable to carry on an empty chamber but not everyone is capable of that standard for a variety of reasons.

I personally want my side arm to be ready on the draw without the need to place it into full service during the draw it’s one less movement when your’er dealing with a highly stressful event. I do believe that in oder to carry chambered requires a high level a situation awareness with your side arm along with the repetitive and regular training with the it to keep yourself and those around you safe.

4 Likes

@Bryan_Lee. Did you know that a person at 21 feet from you , can travel that 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. How fast can you draw from your holster and get a shot off :grimacing:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Bryan_Lee and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

@Cobra; I do know that a person can travel 21ft in 1.5 secs that’s why some people call it the 21 step rule. That’s also why I personally believe that situational awareness is just as important as a loaded chamber.

As I stated in my post it’s a personal preference and my preference is to carry so the side arm is ready (chambered) on the draw as I see as one less movement when dealing with a stressful event if you do have to utilize your side arm. Either method requires regular training based on your choice.

I’m new to the forum but my experience with a CCW is from the last 6 years and my experience with guns through hunting and shooting is over 48 years. I also have more than 25 years experience dealing with multiple types of GSW and penetrating trauma.

I don’t believe I’m and expert on any of it as I constantly work to learn and improve but I do believe I have a strong under standing for the choice along with the pros and cons to carry on an empty chamber vs the Pros and Cons to carry loaded.

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60: thanks for the welcome and you are so right that I’m blessed to be here.

2 Likes

:+1: :smiley:

1 Like

Carried chambered for almost 40 years (off and on… ) depending on work and location, federal buildings and embassies,…

And not once has a firearm gone off by itself, and not once has there been any issue. That includes 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Taurus PT111 G2, S&W 66 and S&W 19,…

Yes, some places train to carry without a rd chambered, but they also are able to chamber and return fire quickly and without the limits we face, the laws… the expectations. We can not simply dive for cover, chamber and start firing, we must control our shots as we are responsible for every rd that we fire.

Not the same in some other nations, especially during civil unrest or uprisings, or daily terror attacks.

Chambered is the best. Now, if you have a 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power or a TT-33 or some other SA semi-auto, if you do not want the hammer cocked, and / or your holster has a thumb break that only secures with the hammer down, you may want to carry unchambered, and as you said it is a personal choice, but self defense situations can occur so rapidly, that drawing your firearm and chambering a rd may take too long, or worse, you are fending off the attacker with one hand, and trying to draw with the other and in your struggle, trying to rack using your belt or boot may mean you do not have a firm grip on your firearm and you may lose it in the struggle.

Just a thought, since some others have mentioned Israel and their training requirements.

By the way. Welcome to the fun house.

4 Likes

With all due respect, full transparency, I’m a nooby - what about a revolver not chambered in the top cylinder - I pull the trigger and shoot - where is the loss of speed?

1 Like

I didn’t mean to offend. I just pointed that out because it seems it’s mostly men that post in these communities. It’s men making the YouTube videos. Fortunately, women are starting to become a much larger part of the gun-owning community, but it’s still predominately men that you will see commenting, etc. And while some women do wear footwear that could rack a slide, I challenge you to look around on any given day (especially if you live in an area that is hot most of the time…like where I live in Florida) you will find most women are not wearing footwear that could remotely rack a slide. :slight_smile: In any case, like I said, more women, like myself, are learning to take their self-defense in their own hands, and I do subscribe to a few websites that are specifically for women. I don’t mind taking advice from a man (as long as they’re not condescending) but women need other women. And yes, practicing with my firearm is a commitment to me, otherwise why own a gun?

4 Likes