Should you carry with one in the chamber?

Thank you!

You too, be safe out there…it’s real!

Aloha!

4 Likes

Daniel22, looking forward to the day my confidence and experience is where it needs to be. Lots of do’s and don’ts rolling around in my mind right now. It’ll come I’m sure if it.
Thank you

5 Likes

A group congrats to all who have gotten past personal challenges and are now carrying with 1 chambered :wink:

I replied to the OP awhile back.

Wat i think about carrying without 1 in the hole is that u may as well carry a concealed small ball peen hammer,and stay right with God.

7 Likes

That is good advice @Woody2 :+1:t2:

I get up and go for a short run and then lift weights almost every morning. Since I am fortunate to have my own weight equipment I run dry fire drills between sets. I practice one handed, two handed, and draw and fire. I practice all of these skills stationary as well as dynamic moving both around weight equipment and in and out of the door using the wall as concealment.

4 Likes

Just never do it with this gun: https://youtu.be/folybZhun9M

6 Likes

Wow you ain’t kidding… The Most Dangerous Pistol Ever Made

6 Likes

Keep on carrying @Robert426 you will do well and get used to it. After awhile you won’t notice you have it. Your confidence will build and soon you will be taking classes in how to defend yourself and your family as loved ones. God bless you, stay safe and carry on.

5 Likes

This method is not taught in any formal capacity under the USCCA or NRA that I am aware of. This way of racking after a draw is not something to be practiced during a formal class so don’t expect it to be taught. This is an option to try if you or anyone refuses to carry chambered. People who have a disability train in a different manner depending on what it is, why can’t someone who carries unchambered train to do something? As a person who believes it is a teacher’s job to help a student to the best of their ability, this would be a way to help. As an instructor, I would first attempt anything I could to get you comfortable with your firearm first.
People who carry chambered must train to get their gun on target regardless if it is on your hip, in a purse or bag, or in your nightstand. If you are going to carry unchambered you must train get you gun on target and in the fight. The most likely scenario would be you drawing and attempting to shoot and hearing that click (as no rounds are loading). This would then be fixed by “tap rack bang”. If you carry non chambered, you must practice clearing a misfire malfunction religiously. I gave another option that is trainable but not fully reliable. I am always going to advocate to becoming comfortable in carrying chambered. If you must, buy a gun with a safety if that helps.

6 Likes

Steven147, great advice thank you. No pushing or belittling. I received my CCW permit today and now will start carrying most all the time. The few times I’ve carried I noticed it enforces a new way of thinking on multiple levels, is there a sign prohibiting firearms, proper clothing, belt, mental awareness and mindset. Either way for some of us it’s a while new deal. Looking forward to the education.

6 Likes

Yikes!

6 Likes

Type 94 Nambu

Yes, about the only reason not to chamber a round.

4 Likes

Since having one in the chamber is the best way to protect yourself if you are attacked, I feel that every step taken to reduce the risk of an accident is worth it. I have seen too many accounts of people having accidents while carrying, drawing, or holstering that I only carry with one in the chamber in one of two ways. In the winter I carry a Sig Sauer P 226 Legion which has a decocker so the first shot is double action. Every time I take this gun to the range I take the first shot in DA so I get used to firing it that way. One day I had a really crappy first shot so I made myself decock for every shot in the 15 round magazine. In the summer I use a smaller gun with a manual safety. I realize that I am not perfect so I try to take every precaution to make sure that a grave mistake doesn’t happen to me.

7 Likes

@Hugh7 doing everything possible to avoid mistakes, which according to the law could be negligence, makes perfect sense to me.

3 Likes

I do the same with my P226. First shot is de-cocked DA. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Like most training, not practical for women. Vast majority of women don’t dress with a heavy sturdy belt if they wear a belt at all (I never do).

3 Likes

The edge of a hard leather sole of a shoe would also work, but not as readily accessible. Then there is the more problematic, between the knees, or really hardcore, between your teeth. :upside_down_face: And if you are Chuck Norris, you just give it a stern look. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yep Yep…

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris.

6 Likes

I’m a girly girl (very petite at that). I also love in Florida. Where I live it does get quite cold for 3-4 months so I’m wearing boots then, but most of the year I’m wearing cute shoes that definitely wouldn’t qualify to rack a slide. In any case, as this thread was about, I will always have one in the chamber. Makes no sense to me to do otherwise. And what I carry (S&W 380 EZ) will not go off by itself regardless. It takes a particular and sure grip to make this baby fire, something I’ve been working on diligently.

4 Likes

P.S. Unfortunately I’m not Chuck Norris but I am a mother of 4 so I can get some things done with a stern look. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Congrats. You’re absolutely correct. When someone first carries, there’s an adjustment period until they get everything dialed in and are comfortable. Eventually it should simply be part of your wardrobe and holstering part of getting dressed. Takes some time, but keep at it and you will get there.
Best of luck and welcome to the carrying community :slight_smile:

6 Likes