Should you carry with one in the chamber?

I’ve CCW for almost 15 years now and I always have 1 in the chamber & safety in my 1911. My advice to new shooters is to buy a revolver for 2 reasons.
A- they don’t jamb
B- they are less complicated to maintain
As their new skills improve, they can always step into the semi auto world.

5 Likes

They are less likely to malfunction, and user error can still turn them into useless hunks of metal. Training and practice are still integral.

3 Likes

Do what the new carrier is comfortable with. I have always carried with one in the chamber and no safety. Those are critical seconds lost if I were to ever need to use my gun. With training and more education and getting more comfortable with the firearm they will see the benefit of carrying with the round chambered. It is all personal preference and no answer is right or wrong, despite all the people that claim one way is better than the other.

4 Likes

I will ask. Did you really mean to say ‘and no safety’?

Or did you mean you carry a striker fired weapon like a Glock without an external manual safety.

4 Likes

Curious—how does the US Military carry?
With the 1911 it used to be with an empty chamber unless ordered otherwise.
What is the current protocol?

2 Likes

Don’t know current doctrine, doubt much has changed, but I seem to recall three basic levels for all personal and crew served weapons.

Green…chamber clear, no magazine, weapon on safe. Yellow…chamber clear, magazine in, weapon on safe. Red…magazine in, round in the chamber, weapon on safe.

Dependent on what you were doing and where you were at determined your weapon status.

It did take me a bit to start carrying with one in the chamber, just for that reason. If I didn’t feel it was necessary, I kept the chamber cleared. Now I carry with one in the chamber at all times, unless I’m somewhere I can’t carry. Then it’s cleared and in the safe.

3 Likes

Agree Sheepdog. I understand it can be intimidating for a new carrier. Hence the importance of training and more training. Get familiar with your gun. Make it a part of you. If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber more training, time and experience will help.
An unloaded gun is an expensive rock or club.
Also, just the time and readiness. Under stress are you going to be able to securely rack that slide? Is the first round going to chamber correctly?
I like the seat belt analogy, never heard that before.

4 Likes

But just as an aside, don’t most people carry a 1911 Cocked and locked? All you need to to get your hand on the grip firmly?

2 Likes

Every 1911 carrier carries cocked and locked.

…and disengage the thumb safety

6 Likes

Carry mine cocked n locked, manual safety engaged. Disengaging is part of my draw stroke and it is now, after lots of practice, automatic when pulling the pistol, IF Im figuring on firing it (range or other). Yes the grip safety must be depressed as well to fire. Those 2 safeties r plenty for me. Wish I could get 2 in the chamber :wink:

3 Likes

You can
http://arsenalfirearmsitalia.it/2011-a1/

3 Likes

well that looks like a lot of fun to carry – not.

4 Likes

Your wish has been granted, there is such a pistol as a double-barreled 1911, the AF2011. Here is a video of Jerry Miculek firing it.

3 Likes

@Dave17:man_facepalming:t2::smiling_imp:

19hrs earlier…

:crazy_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Yes, I was a bit slow on the uptake. I did not read below the post I responded to, until after my post, but his post did not include the video of Miculek firing it. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:+1:t2:

4 Likes

@45IPAC That looks very cool, but as others point out, that’d be a hunk of steel to carry all day. I love it tho! Could be fun to shoot :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am not comfortable with one in the chamber. When I draw my pistol I automatically rack the slide. I am in DA and it take 8-9 pounds to engage the trigger.

2 Likes

1st, know your local and state gun laws. Second, get a secure holster with retention, know your weapons safety systems; as well as have gun retention skills during a fight, and work towards a 1 to 2 second draw time- to getting accurate shots on target. Third, make sure the holster completely covers the trigger well. If you’ve done all of that, I feel it is probably safe to carry, with a round in the chamber, as too many videos I have seen; people lose their life because they had to take too much time to chamber a round. Stay safe out there.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

4 Likes