Should you carry with one in the chamber?

Definitely carry the way you feel comfortable but I have seen videos of a couple of common scenarios where having to take an extra second to rack the slide didn’t work out so well. And I can imagine quite a few more. Not to mention the scenarios where you don’t have an extra hand available to quickly rack the slide.

5 Likes

100% agree, plus there’s the argument that the gun could malfunction/misfeed anytime you have to rack a round.

4 Likes

“Wilder was out on bond at the time of the attack.”

Of course he was. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I can’t for the life of me figure out what new info could be added to this Saga!

2 Likes

We need conclusions and happy end :wink:

4 Likes

That would be until new info is added… I liked @Shamrock’s recent reply. There was also a recent video in a thread where the criminal was trying to rob someone. As the criminal got our of their vehicle with a handgun, he raised the gun and racked the slide. The victim immediately saw the threat and drew and fired before the perp had a chance to fire. The perp turned and ran back to the car. The driver had already begun to drive-off, but he was still able to get into the car. The take-away is that fast draw is irrelevant, unless one can hit the target. Luckily for the victim, just shooting at the perp made him turn and run.

2 Likes

I always carry with one in the chamber. You will not have time to chamber in a self defense situation. If a subject is far enough away for you to safely chamber a round, they are far enough away for you to get to safety. That’s my two cents from what I have gained from real world experience.

3 Likes

In my SA 1911, yes.
In my DA revolver, yes.
If I’m carrying it, there is a round in the chamber.
That was how they were designed to be carried into harms way.

6 Likes

“Yes.”

4 Likes

I always have a chambered round and I also take it one step further; I do not buy handguns with safeties other than the trigger safety. When pulled from the holster it is ready to fire. The safety is the trigger finger

1 Like

Active systems like home defense, edc, and truck guns warrant a pill in the box. Guns being stored like hunting rifles or collectibles should be cleaned and cleared.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t a grip safety qualify?

And, the firearm having one doesnt’ mean that you have to use it, no?

1 Like

I think this could be even worse. If you train with a gun that has a safety, train with the safety, because if it inadvertently gets flipped on, your muscle memory will likely be confused on a critical draw, and that hesitation as you realize “oh… safety!” could be fatal.

6 Likes

Glock 43 DA one in the chamber at all times.

1 Like

You have the rest of your life to rack the slide and chamber a round.

1 Like

“Even when I’m cleaning.” lol

2 Likes

Yep. Just clean around it. Lol

4 Likes

At least you’re cleaning!

4 Likes

Some people say the safety is between your ears (brain).

3 Likes

I assure you that there is nothing between my ears.

3 Likes