Always carry with one in the chamber

28 Likes

I know that carrying one in the chamber of my Glock may not be a choice some would make. I do for 2 reasons.

1. I am already behind in a situation, as I don’t get to choose when a criminal is going to target me.

2. Having a round in the chamber, makes me more diligent and careful.

16 Likes

Well…
Carrying without one in the chamber is better than carrying with nothing in the mag… or not carrying at all…
:slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I remember something distinct that an old Deputy told me (with a look like he would tear my head off if I didn’t hear him), “if you are not willing to shoot a threat don’t apply for a permit, it’s not for the affable, the timid, or the squirrelly. No warning shots and you don’t shoot to wing or wound. If you have to use a gun, you shoot to end the situation permanently.” I understood full well what he was saying to me. He added one other nugget, “Always, always, always carry with a round in the pipe. You carry a gun he said, for self-defense; how is your gun going to help you if it’s not ready?” He said, “if you carry a 1911, always carry it “locked, cocked, and ready to rock!” Otherwise, leave it in the safe at home before you or somebody else gets hurt with it.”" Certain words stick. That’s one of them.

29 Likes

That’s like fixing a sandwich with no meat, just a wasted effort.

10 Likes

I was with a realtor trying to buy a house years ago. Pretty sunny day…
Then all of a sudden I heard the storm door open and she says can I help you?
Surprised looking dude says uh uh as he’s looking at an empty house and sees me in a different room. He says yeah, I was wanting to cut your grass.

I don’t know if he was looking to steal something or what. It wouldn’t have been time to put one in the chamber if he had been armed.

5 Likes

Actually my mom used to make me a mayonnaise samwich when I was a kid… so???

3 Likes

I’ve got 7 Glocks. My SOP with them, is if they’re holstered, they’re hot.

8 Likes

My grandma made me a sandwich with sour cream and sugar.
Good old times, no need for meat, no need for carrying. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

It’s called a PB&J, and it’s delicious.

3 Likes

Lessons from top instructors:
USCCA
USCCA Quick
Colion Noir
Paul Harrell
Jerry Miculek

Examples from real life (Active Self Protection):

Chamber Empty Carry Leads To Predictable Disaster
Empty Chamber Carry Costs Defender His Best Opportunity
This is Why You Carry With A Round in the Chamber!
This is Why You Carry Your Defensive Tool Chamber Full
Another Reminder to Carry Chamber Full
A Stark Reminder to Keep Your Defensive Firearm Chambered

From ASP Extra
Pros & Cons Discussion with a Lawyer

5 Likes

I’ve been around USCCA just long enough to know how this conversation goes, because we’ve had it several times.

Given: some folks who are new to concealed carry feel uncomfortable keeping a round in the chamber.

Some here say that’s fine, it’s better to carry without a round in the chamber than to not carry at all. In the meantime, try putting a round in the chamber once in a while, you’ll soon get used to it.

Others will tell you that carrying without a round in the chamber is worse than falling off a ladder and smashing a mirror while a black cat crosses your path. You should sell your firearm, because banshees are known to hunt down people who carry without a round in the chamber. Science.

Having seen this discussion a few times, my conclusion is that I don’t really care how other people carry. Do what makes sense for you today, and keep working to improve your situation. It doesn’t matter how you carry a firearm if you haven’t trained how to use it.

14 Likes

We had those, too, and Velveeta… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I offer you a jam sandwich.
Jam two pieces of bread together…

3 Likes

I’m no astronaut, but I’ve had a space sandwich.

2 Likes

If you’re thinking about chambering a round, you’re already dead!
Y’all can quote me on that,

10 Likes

I was just sitting here thinking about chambering a round…
ai1uw

5 Likes

c0466c27-51de-443e-9a0c-55933f2c60bb_text

5 Likes

And that’s the very reason I don’t any longer! childhood PTS, LOL. I not only had Jam sandwiches, but sugar n water, mayo/miracle whip, and sandwich spread (w/the pickle relish for busi-ness while chewing). Oh, and just in case you missed it, or I missed telling it, a jam sandwich is nothing more than two pieces of bread jammed together. PB&J was a delicacy. So, yeah…there is that… Today, no meat, wasted effort. I’m old enough now, I want meat on the sandwich. The same is true no miracle whip/mayo. You make the best sandwich but if either of those condiments are missing; you might as well put everything back where you got it from because I’m not eating it.

3 Likes

Yep. Post 13 up above.

I love how this thread has taken a hard turn off course.

4 Likes