Always carry with one in the chamber

We needed a break man! LOL

Now, where was I. Oh, I always carry a round in the chamber. Just the way I do it. nuff said.

5 Likes

WAAAAY :rofl: :crazy_face: off course lmao :rofl:

4 Likes

Well, one does need proper sustenence or one will not be able to stay concentrated on the task (discussion) at hand. :rofl:

4 Likes

Ok. Do I get a prize?

6 Likes

Always a great topic. I’ll visit it again. There are times I’m around a lot of people; During those times, I personally go un-chambered. But when in more isolated higher risk areas, it’s good to know I can be more prepared.

Once on a wilderness excursion, I noticed someone sitting in their car in a parking lot, while I geared up for the hike. As I was into my trail, I realized with all of the trees and cover, it would not have been hard for someone to “get the drop” on me, per se.

But I also realize I really better know friend or foe, and not ever endanger an innocent. It’s not just readiness, but developing good judgement to know a threat Vs just another good guy; not overreacting.

Good to have options.

3 Likes

aka, situational awareness, what we live, breathe, and preach daily.

3 Likes

At one point in my life I lived on Mayo sandwiches :sandwich: :sandwich: and if it had been a particularly good day. I might have Ramen :ramen:

6 Likes

This is what convinced me to carry with one in the chamber.

If you are uncomfortable carrying with one in the chamber, as I was, get a carry gun with an external safety. After you become comfortable with it, you can move to a gun without one when/if you so choose.

7 Likes

I recall watching that one.

Perhaps in a perfect world I could do it. Something must be wrong with me, because I’ve been shooting for over 40 years, and I still can’t seem to get comfortable with it. I’m familiar, proficient, alert and aware of it, train and practice regularly with it, but as yet, not comfortable. I was trained that, “Laxity breads sloth, and sloth leads to a whole bunch of other bad habits.” I never take my tools for granted, and I never trust my level of proficiency, so I train and practice perpetually to remain confident in my ability to function it appropriately and with relative ease when needed. Remember, it’s all perishable. No disrespect meant.

3 Likes

Carrying with one in the chamber, makes me more attentive to my firearm as I know what the consequences are if I treat my firearm cavalierly. So I make sure that I treat my firearm seriously.

@Burdo says it very well

5 Likes

Many opinions have been posited pertaining to chambered carry or unchambered carry, and they will probably run forever. I respect the fact that they at least have an opinion and are willing to share it. But with any “due” respect to everyone that opines on the matter, the one major factor that should be mused over, pondered, and given serious consideration (and I do pontificate here) is “time.” Remember, this is your “life” at stake. This is not “As Seen On TV.” This is not an administrative shoot where you have “time” to get online, square your body, take up a good stance and have “time” to index your paper or steel target. In a self-defense situation You do not have “time” to uncover, grip, draw, “rack the slide,” shoot. Or depending upon your physical fitness, body composition, type of clothing and the position of your carry, uncover, grip, draw, “rack the slide,” index, fire.

One should also consider the induced stress, the physiological effects, coupled with now having to uncover, draw, index, fire… (you experience a click, or dead trigger), oh, I forgot to rack the slide to chamber a round (Bang, bang, bang). And your gun is not the one going, bang. This is a very eerie thought, isn’t it?

Racking the slide to chamber a round is a critical misstep, IMO, that is, you are borrowing “Time” that you do not have and will never be able to repay. This is NOT a necessary step and can cost you your life. The only reason I say, “can” is because we never know just how prepared or proficient the threat is; we should assume that he or she is at the top of his or her game (so-to-speak) as it pertains to proficiency.

In a defensive situation… TIME… is the critical component and you do not have it. I appeal to you…chamber a round…if you are unsure or lack confidence, train and practice through it. JMPO

As it is said, “Stay Safe.” “Train Hard.” “Carry Always.” “Stay Alive.”

6 Likes

Most times and places are safe. However, I stumbled upon this video, made me think of the ideas of how to avoid risks.

Here three armed robbers sneak up quickly, still dark, 6:45 AM in the morning.

Reminds me how employers should help figure out ways workers can at least lock up their firearms. The vid mentions need for better lighting, and accompanying employees to/fro work.

Notice one lady refused to roll down her car window. Off topic, but this one bodes for “chambered”.

But what else can we do to be safe from such encounters?:

2 Likes

I hated having to go to Chicago back in the late 90’s when I drove a truck. I would have to haul loads of pharmaceuticals from NY to Chicago then to L.A. on a bi-weekly basis.

5 Likes

Sounds like the begining of a good book.:wink:

4 Likes

I really, really think the proprietors need to take another honest look at their business plan. If they formulated one it was not well thought out, nor was it realistic. Or, they made have deviated from it. From what I see in the video, they have engaged in I call “false thinking.” Knowing what goes on in the hood, how was it that they thought they would be immune to victimization?

1 Like

You’re correct. It gives one a good, well kinda, club.

3 Likes

A good samitch needs meat, cheese, onion or all off the above - PBJ being an acceptable alternate.
And I do arry cocked and locked.

1 Like

So THAT is what caused you to grow up to carry, eh?
Innerstin. :wink:

Man my favorite sandwich was a mayo and potato chip sandwich. Damn I’m getting pretty hungry remembering that.

2 Likes