Should you carry with one in the chamber?

That would be until new info is added… I liked @Shamrock’s recent reply. There was also a recent video in a thread where the criminal was trying to rob someone. As the criminal got our of their vehicle with a handgun, he raised the gun and racked the slide. The victim immediately saw the threat and drew and fired before the perp had a chance to fire. The perp turned and ran back to the car. The driver had already begun to drive-off, but he was still able to get into the car. The take-away is that fast draw is irrelevant, unless one can hit the target. Luckily for the victim, just shooting at the perp made him turn and run.

2 Likes

I always carry with one in the chamber. You will not have time to chamber in a self defense situation. If a subject is far enough away for you to safely chamber a round, they are far enough away for you to get to safety. That’s my two cents from what I have gained from real world experience.

3 Likes

In my SA 1911, yes.
In my DA revolver, yes.
If I’m carrying it, there is a round in the chamber.
That was how they were designed to be carried into harms way.

6 Likes

“Yes.”

4 Likes

I always have a chambered round and I also take it one step further; I do not buy handguns with safeties other than the trigger safety. When pulled from the holster it is ready to fire. The safety is the trigger finger

1 Like

Active systems like home defense, edc, and truck guns warrant a pill in the box. Guns being stored like hunting rifles or collectibles should be cleaned and cleared.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t a grip safety qualify?

And, the firearm having one doesnt’ mean that you have to use it, no?

1 Like

I think this could be even worse. If you train with a gun that has a safety, train with the safety, because if it inadvertently gets flipped on, your muscle memory will likely be confused on a critical draw, and that hesitation as you realize “oh… safety!” could be fatal.

6 Likes

Glock 43 DA one in the chamber at all times.

1 Like

You have the rest of your life to rack the slide and chamber a round.

1 Like

“Even when I’m cleaning.” lol

2 Likes

Yep. Just clean around it. Lol

4 Likes

At least you’re cleaning!

4 Likes

Some people say the safety is between your ears (brain).

3 Likes

I assure you that there is nothing between my ears.

3 Likes

Someone manages to get hands on you and u only have 1 hand to draw/fire (backup is another topic altogether). IF I’d key word in this whole topic :slight_smile: IF I this IF that etc. Fact is, IF some thug attempts…I’m gonna not add even a nanosecond of response time, and I’m gonna stop that threat.

Now, if some punk is several feet away being only verbally threatening, even though it may not be ok in the eyes of a DA, I’m gonna ask the punk if he wants to go to the hospital or if he wants to go home - yes, kinda like training Day movie.
Straight up tho, to avoid being a victim it’s helpful to give a vibe of being THE apex predator, only when engaged by threatening behavior. Otherwise I go for being “gray man” and watch my surroundings closely. Another IF —>>. IF I am forced to legally engage, I’ll do so with the fury of Hell. Threat stops = I go back to gray man mode soon as possible.
No, those aren’t the threat handling steps in full or in order….generalization.
Sure as heck won’t risk trying to rack a round one handed with a criminal hanging on to me. And I don’t care HOW good our situational awareness is, unless hunting easy targets ourselves we’re potential targets for some idiot who is doing so.

As for accidental discharges, I challenge that being a real thing. Nrmegligent handling discharge yes, but if your firearm will fire without a trigger pull it’s in dire need of repair or replacement.

Lastly, the training….regardless of choice on chambered rounds, don’t train til u get it right, train til u can’t get it wrong.

A former military person ought to know better. I did security forces training and know a LOT of high level KE men - all carry with chambered round.

God bless and nay none of us BEED that firearm!

4 Likes

Is this over?

It appears to me Kevin M. settled this in his recent article re: carrying with 1 in the pipe (chambered round).

Thing is, new carriers will keep asking the question, as in probly every CC license class ever.

I hope admins will link Kevin’s article to this thread’s heading, to be seen in any user’s search results. TBH, it has caused me to be a wee bit concerned to read dissenting opinions on this.

So, both elated Kevin answered this, yet kind of sad the monumental size debate should slow to no debate at all :smile:

Most important - the authoritative answer may save lives :smile:

Thx Kevin!

2 Likes

I stand by what I said to start with. The trigger finger is the safety.

3 Likes

Just for fun. I carried my Kimber EVO Racked, with a loaded mag and empty chamber for a couple of months. I didn’t have the experience and confidence to carry a firearm condition zero. I would check everyday to see if it had released the firing pin. After a couple of months I got it, it wouldn’t just fire without an interaction with the trigger. SO that was my reason to carry with an empty pipe… Just Sayin

3 Likes

I believe if you are carrying a firearm, you are doing so with the mindset to defend yourself or others instantly. So yes, I carry with one in chamber. I carry a Staccato C2, 2011/1911 type platform so there are 3 safety features: manual Ambi thumb, Grip, and my finger.

There are only 3 reasons I can think of for not carrying chambered: 1) The person carrying doesn’t trust the gun or themselves, or they lack proper equipment, 2) They live and travel in an area where it is generally safe or there is less of a threat, or 3) They’ve made questionable modifications to the firearm such as to modify the sear and trigger travel rendering the firearm unsafe to transport ready to rock.

I say this as I was at the range with a friend of mine who brought a friend of his. That extra friend brought a firearm (SIG) legion I think, which he had modification done to the trigger, slide, and internal fire control group. I have a SIG M17 (P320) which looked similar, but fires differently… The SIG this gentleman had fired as soon as you could think about touching the trigger… literally had like a 1/2lbs trigger. He himself thought the firearm was too dangerous to EDC. If he forgot to engage the safety, and a gentle breeze just happen to hit the trigger, it would be a problem and the gun could go off.

4 Likes