Should there be a mental eval law?

Tell that to the judge when you shout fire in a pact theatre or bomb on an airplane.

Does this mean you no longer support prior restraint?

Or are you going to explain how, in order to be similar to the gun control laws you are supporting, we should have to undergo background checks and social media post surveillance before entering a theater to see if we are fit to do so, or if we are an increased risk for saying the wrong thing and thus cannot be allowed entry?

Or, are you going to propose mandatory muzzles in theaters if children are present so that we cannot yell fire?

2 Likes

We have heard about the controls and restrictions on peaceable gun owners that you want to impose.

Can we now hear about the other side of this give and take? What do you see going the opposite direction to make this a ‘give and take compromise’?

Re-opening of the machine gun registry?

Deregulation of silencers?

Federal mandate that all states must allow concealed carry for anybody legally able to possess a gun aka nationwide Constitutional carry?

4 Likes

All I’m trying to say is we, the 2A community, need to be part of the solution. Standing a and saying “HELL NO” isn’t the answer. I’m not smart enough to be able to come up with an answer. At the same time if we don’t become part of the answer we will lose our rights or start another civil war. I don’t want to see either happen.

1 Like

Yes, it is an answer.

We will lose our rights because people who say they are part of the 2A community are spending their time thinking of ways to infringe yet more on the 2A.

2 Likes

Do you at least recognize the the “tell it to a judge after yelling fire in a crowded theater” is a gun control equivalent to “tell it to a judge after firing your gun wildly into the air in a crowded theater”?

2 Likes

We must agree to disagree then. As I said before: a good compromise is one in which neither side walks away happy.

You have not suggested a compromise.

You paid lip service to the phrase “give and take”, but you have only come up with take (taking of Rights and Liberties). Nothing whatsoever in the other direciton.

“Compromise” is not “I want to take all of your Rights, you want to keep all of your Rights, so we’ll only take a portion for now, and come back for the rest later”

That is not compromise.

4 Likes

How do you think laws are written and get passed? Opposing sides get together and hash out the details. One side has a must have list and so does the other. With each side maneuvering to gat as many “must have” as they can. That is what’s broken right now in our government and society. Everyone thinks it has to be my or the highway.

1 Like

We have too many laws in general, and too many gun control laws, we don’t need more.

Passing more gun control laws and “we want all of your Rights, so let’s compromise and only take some” is not compromise.

But, you say you speak for the 2A community. What “must have” GET do you propose any new legislation must have? What are “we” going to gain?

I gave three suggestions above and you ignored them, do you not like those or do you have better things in mind?

What do you think “our” must have gets should be?

2 Likes

That’s because I’m not on the crazy left. Since you know so much, how about posting ideas to make the situation better than just saying hell no! It’s always easier to criticize than go do the work needed.

That would be one of my must have items. Enforce the f’cking laws already on the books.

I have posted many ideas, including in this thread.

You have ignored them or denied reality.

1. Have teachers, faculty, and staff follow their own security protocols

2. Have law enforcement react appropriately as expected and as trained.

3. STOP MAKING SCHOOLS DISARMED CRIMINAL EMPOWERMENT ZONES WHERE IT IS KNOWN TO THE WORLD THAT THE PSYCHO WILL FACE NO ARMED OPPOSITION

4. Take some of the tens of billions being sent to other nations spend it here at home on increased school security, physical improvements to the school, funded training for teachers/faculty/staff who volunteer for it, and increased LE presence in and around schools (seriously we pay for off duty cops in uniform in number at movie theaters but it’s too much to do this for schools? Give me a break)

5. Read this to educate yourself some more on all of the things, firearm and not, that are factors here and that can be improved.

6 Likes

Any laws on the books in particular you really feel need to be enforced?

Like, the father in state A who gives a gun to his daughter in state B that is now a federal felon, despite both of them being legally eligible to possess said firearm? Is that an example of a law on the books that you feel very strongly needs to be enforced?

Because I’d start with eliminating some of the laws already on the books before even considering entertaining the idea of new ones

2 Likes

I haven’t denied any of those. But at the same time what are you willing to allow so we can get those? Another school shooting?

I’m willing to allow those things so we can get those things

Why are you so obsessed with finding a way to force additional restrictions and removals of Rights and Liberties into this, no matter how useless it would be?

Just because a psycho did something, that doesn’t mean you HAVE TO use it as an opportunity to bring about more infringements

2 Likes

Why are you so obsessed to have it only your way?

Like Obozo said: never let a crisis’ go to waste.

I am adamant about protecting individual Rights and Liberties, especially when the person supporting more control is doing it for the sake of the control, without a reasonable expectation of any objective betterment.

3 Likes

But we already have laws designed to prevent the mentally Ill from doing harm. They didn’t work in this case because they were not acted upon. Passing yet another law making it illegal to murder people might let the politicians say the are doing something. I might not even be against yet another law against murder if it adds in more rights and protections for lawful firearms owners who seek to keep themselves and their families from being murdered. But the anti gunners would never go for that and there will never be enough more ineffective laws for them at least until they have disarmed all the law abiding citizens. They are the ones unwilling to compromise and seek real solutions so they just keep trying to chip away one right at a time whenever the opportunity presents itself.

2 Likes