Should shooting ranges be separated by firearms?

Honestly, I’m not sure half (or more) of the people I see at the range are there to practice for self-defense. If I had to guess, most people are just there for fun.

3 Likes

Yes they should you wouldn’t want range to be on a rifle with a pistol if you have a range like that I think I would be looking for a different range because that could lead to someone not being able to shoot and getting pissed off as gun owners we need to be able to shoot safely without any problems like that have a blessed day and stay safe

1 Like

All of the indoor ranges we have in my area are. Even the outdoor range I attend has a seperate area adjacent to, but away from, the pistol area.

A shorter answer would be: YES. They should be.

1 Like

I have been to a number of indoor ranges that allowed both pistol and rifle. None of he separated the two.

Even that wouldn’t necessarily make sense, when I shoot a suppressed 5.56 “rifle”, and the guy next to me has a 2.5" .357 Magnum shooting Underwood 125’s, who is bothering who?

4 Likes

I sometimes bring both rifle and handgun. It’s nice that my range allows me to shoot both from the same bay. I don’t do a lot of long distance precision shooting.

2 Likes

My favorite indoor range isn’t segregated by pistol/rifle, it’s segregated by length. They have a 25yd range and they have a 200yd range. If memory serves they limit long gun caliber on the short range. I know they allow .223/5.56 but I don’t think you can go 30 Cal on the 25yd side. I know that people are shooting .45 and .50 cal handguns in there.

1 Like

Price of ammo these days, I want maximum yardage out of every round :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a very unique and interesting way to gauge ammo price. Number of yards per dollar. I’ll try that.

1 Like

The title of the thread was changed by the moderator; not by the OP.

My most frugal shooting these days is .22lr at 300 yards. T’bolt is 100 yards for a penny (purchased pre covid). Main issue is the lead doesn’t generate much of a ping on the steel, and 40 grains of goodness dropping 11 feet doesn’t shake the plate too well…but with the electronic ears on, I can hear a hit. Lot louder with the minimags, but at three times the price :cocktail:

1 Like

At most ranges around here, shooting lanes are assigned, so the RSO knows who is shooting what so problems of muzzle report and hot brass raining down are usually avoided.

1 Like