Should I carry 1 in the chamber

I’ve been hearing much talk about the Sig P320 regarding unintentional discharge to the point I stopped carrying one in the chamber. My question is, I’m I making too much out of it or is this a really big problem and I am on borrowed time?
I personally believe the root cause of the problem is with the striker fire mechanism but no one else is saying that. Can you tell me if I’m making too much out to if? If anyone out there has facts to help me, I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks,
Rogers…

4 Likes

Welcome Andrew. Personally, I would take the handgun to a qualified gunsmith or Sig Armorer and have them inspect it completely. If this is giving you pause to think that having a round in the chamber isn’t safe, then it tells me that you don’t have 100% confidence in that firearm.

Carry guns must provide 100% confidence before I will carry them. And that includes the ammunition that I carry in them with regard to feeding, ejecting the spent brass and reliability.

13 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. I used to carry every day one in the chamber until this year. I never had any mishap, it worked every time the first time, but… reading over 31 cases where police officers state the P320 went off by itself, give me reason to pause.
Last questions.

1. Whats your take on the whole Sig situation?
  2. Have you heard anyone in your uscca organization commented on this topic?
    Best regards,
    Rogers…
3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Andrew169 I totally agree with @Frank73. You can’t have any doubts about what you carry.

4 Likes

@Andrew169 , welcome to the Community.
I agree with @Frank73 .
The other option is to trade this handgun for something you will be comfortable with carrying chambered round.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Andrew169 and God bless you. If you are not comfortable with the firearm you have then don’t carry it. There was a problem with the Sig P320 like you mentioned but that was in the passed. Sig Sauer did rectify the situation and has not happened since. There’s also a thread regarding if you should carry with one in the chamber that’s been going for months and if you do a topic search you will find some valuable information and posts there.

6 Likes

That issue has been rectified by SIG. I’m not clear if your firearm is a 320, if so I would make sure the issue is taken care of before carrying. If not then as has been said, if you are not comfortable carrying your gun with a round in the chamber you need a different gun.

5 Likes

Check these threads:

3 Likes

My understanding is that Sig had a voluntary recall on the 320 to fix the drop/discharge problem but not all of them went to the shop for upgrade.

2 Likes

I have 2 P320’s (full size) carried one in the chamber always, without an issue. I remember quite some time ago going to SIG’s website and typing in the serial number to see if my first one was a problem one in question, and it was not. I did check my 2nd as well, neither had to be sent back.

1 Like

IMHO, if you aren’t carrying with one in the chamber you have a small club, not a firearm. Many encounters are up close and personal. The last thing you need is to disadvantage yourself by needing to rack your firearm.

5 Likes

I always had one in the chamber BUT… after hearing all the stuff regarding the P320 discharging without the trigger being pulled, gave me concerns. I don’t want to be a statistic. I have about 5k rounds with out any mishaps butt I need to have confidence it will not fail.

1 Like

My Sig P320 was made after Dec. 2017 with the reduced trigger. I believe it the striker fire mechanism as the real culprit but no one has stated that in any publication. Your thoughts?

1 Like

@Andrew169 Welcome aboard!

I’ll go back and read the other posts in a minute but my first thought is that if you don’t trust your EDC you need a new EDC. IMO

1 Like

I agree with @Jerzees, get rid of it.

Perhaps a manual thumb safety or a decocker would be a better option.

Never carry a stricker pistol without a good holster.

3 Likes

I believe we are, as a species, prone to easily doubt. Considering buying that new ultra mega giga HD TV? 1000 people give it 5 stars, but one guy says it exploded, burned down his house, and killed his dog. Now you’re thinking wait, I have a dog, maybe this guy’s got a valid concern. So you’ve got to look for a different brand.

Psychologically, we often weight things disproportionately high relative to their risk, and it can be a significant challenge to overcome that thinking. Maybe it’s a genetic survival trait, I don’t know, but it definitely puts limits on our behavior, foe good or for ill.

4 Likes

Sounds like it on some reviews, this breaks it down a little more. Here is the link to SIG just in case P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program | SIG SAUER

2 Likes

Only carry what you trust. If taking your weapon to a gunsmith to have it checked for safety doesn’t give you confidence in the weapon then get one that does as soon as you can. Time and distance in a critical situation needs to be on your side.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t carry any kind of handgun without a good holster.

@Andrew169 I don’t know of any manufactures that have never had issues or recalls at one point or another. Sig makes good firearms, I own 2 that have worked every time I pull the trigger.

Make sure your gun is not on the voluntary upgrade list, maintain it correctly, replace parts before they wear out, and carry with confidence. Or get rid of it and get another firearm that you can.

And feel free to PM me for the address of my local FFL if you decide to ditch it. I’ll gladly take this problem off your hands and even pay the shipping for you;)

5 Likes

That’s a heck of trust shown to P320 :+1:

And that’s the solution for the OP question. :+1:

4 Likes