Shot Plan, do you make 'em?

This was a thing when I was shooting bullseye, but I haven’t heard mention of it in a long time.
It seems like a valid way to maximize range time and scarce ammo supplies.
Anyone here have a shot plan?

1 Like

I write my own COF’s (Course of Fire) for my range sessions for students. Is that what you are referring to?

Stay safe out there.

4 Likes

If anyone is planning on going to the range have a drill planned out. Have a skill that needs to be improved upon? Accuracy comes first then work on speed.

6 Likes

Shot plan? Only when I am hunting. Ammo shortage, what shortage??? :thinking:

2 Likes

My training time has been very limited this year so when I do get to the range I try to work on a specific drill or two. I think it makes the range trips more effective than sending lead down range without a specific goal though that can be fun too:)

4 Likes

One of the training course here gave me some great advice, that I hadn’t considered before. Fill my magazines before I go to the range.
Since the days are getting shorter and it dark out when I’m out I’ve been working on low light target acquisition. So, I don’t know that I have a “Shot Plan” but I do have subjects I’m interested in working on, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I don’t have a formal personal development plan laid out, if that’s what you mean.

I always have a plan of the day before I head to the range — regular cycle through a dozen or so favored exercises of 5 to 50 rounds, plus a new or occasional drill once in a while.

But I never head out with a box of ammo and a target just to dispose of the bullets.

4 Likes

I decide which pistols I am going to shoot. I load all my mags with target ammo & take only as much ammo as I need for my defensive carry drills & my home defense pistols. Usually around 250 115gr 9mm rounds. I always take one of my 1911s also just because I love shooting them. I don’t carry one or use one for home defense but they are my favorite pistols so I’ll take fifty 45apc rounds. I go to my range twice a month. I also take a pistol rack with me so they aren’t laying all over the bench

4 Likes

Rule #1 always have a plan
Rule # 2 always follow rule # 1

3 Likes

The significant element of a shot plan is goal setting. Not sure exactly how this translates into combat shooting though.

2 Likes

I think it is well documented that the human mind learns better if you break things into smaller chunks and work on a very limited number of aspects at one time until you get them down before moving onto a new aspect. But occasional refreshers of old skills are necessary to keep all the skills at a high level.

I try to think of all the pieces of a combat scenario. Identify the threat, move, draw, and fire if necessary, keep firing, find cover, fire some more, reload and repeat if necessary, etc. I try focusing on each of these individually and then work on tying them to the next one.

With the limited trips I have had this year I was mostly working on speed of follow up shots and have gotten pretty good at shooting fast and accurate strings of 2 to 5 shots. But have also noticed that my draw and first shot times are slowing down so my next trip will be working on that. Once I get that back up to snuff I hope to tie it in with movement and strings of fire. Will practice these all again in dry fire mode until perfect before trying with live ammo.

2 Likes

Certainly the simplest goals for defensive shooting are reliable hits on challenging targets, and speed of execution — without measuring both, I think one is just discarding bullets.

Some people like to work toward a specific, ambitious, and distant goal they think they should or want to achieve someday — “score of 100”, “ten straight plates”, “sub-second draw”, “survive shoot house”, or whatever. I find continuous improvement from the much simpler goals of “better than last time” — or maybe in a bad week “no worse than last time”.

As @Shamrock suggests, breaking tasks into sub-tasks can help build the whole — as well as identifying the easiest or most important places for improvement. Goals and sub-goals can be the same.

2 Likes

I am sure to have my shot plan ready before going to the range. That way I know what I am focusing on for that session and am not just wasting ammo.

2 Likes

Yes, Plan my routine before going to the range. First all the gear I will need which includes the types of targets, second load the magazines and revolver quick loaders, extra ammo, trauma kit, etc, etc.
Train and practice with my EDC first, I feel that is most important. Then move on to the few other firearms I decided to bring along, some are EDC types and others are enjoyment preferences. Depending whether I’m at an indoor range with limited time ( 2 different lessons normally ) or outside unlimited time, ( 4 to 5 different lessons probably ).
I know this doesn’t need to be said but I must, ENJOY WHAT YOUR DOING, I know you all are…
P. S. - Safety always first.

1 Like

That’s pretty much my attitude.

2 Likes