Shopping For The Latest In Eye and Ear Protection

I’ve been looking for shooting glasses with individual, replaceable lenses - amber for the master eye, gray for the other - that will cut glare but still allow you to use both eyes when shooting - with wrap-around frames that give complete protection, especially above and at the sides of your eyes. So far, it looks like my only recourse involves a custom pair from an optometrist at a hefty price. The muffs I’m looking for allow wearing a hat, analog/passive, high noise reduction, and an adjustable feature that eliminates that head-in-a-vise feeling - here, muffs for shotgunners seem to be my best bet. Any recommendations, here?

3 Likes

You didn’t mention price so I’m putting these here for you to look at. Not exactly inexpensive, but probably better than custom. I put a specific model on here, but they have several options. Can interchange the lenses so I believe they’d work for you. WX Saint | Wiley X.

I don’t use these btw. You’d need to verify that they’ll work the way you want.

2 Likes

Kurt17 - as far as ear protection ( Me-I my self ) think ear protection should be have a minimum of 31 D.B. What ever it takes to get that level of protection do it. Don’t wait until it’s too late, I did and so have too many other people. I made a new topic a while back called : TINNITUS & YOU : under miscellaneous read all of it. As of lately I have been wearing ear plugs and ear balls. If it’s possible I don’t want to make things worse than they already are. To me protecting your hearing is more important than hearing your friends talk while on the range. I’m still getting use to the double protection for example when I shut my truck door I can’t hear it close and, when the Cease-fire buzzer goes on I can’t hear it, thank goodness for the flashing lights. NICE HEARING (get it) FROM YOU.
:paraguay::paraguay: :hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m looking for at least 33 - 35 Db, but I don’t look forward to depending on electronics or anything mechanical. I might experiment with a combo of soft plugs and muffs for indoor sessions. I posted a response to your tinnitus topic. As I’ve grown creakier over the years, I’ve developed a healthy aversion to unnecessary noise and bright lights. Amen.

3 Likes

THX - excellent for the individual lens color choices. Price is no problem, as long as it’s a true value-for-value exchange. After all, how much are your senses worth?

2 Likes

It’s got to be one or the other. Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by mechanical.

I have both Decibullz and a pair of 3M muffs. I prefer the Decibullz, because they’re more comfortable, and I don’t feel like my head is 10 feet underwater. They also have a higher NR rating. For added protection, I could wear the muffs over the top, but so far the in-ear solution has been more than adequate — zero ringing after three hours on the range.

3 Likes

I’ve used Wiley SG-1’s for well over a decade. It is good to see they’re still offering a dual lens system. Maui Jim might have something, but the last time I shopped their solution was a wrap around goggle. Both offer excellent ballistic protections.

2 Likes

They are nice looking glasses and look well made.:+1::+1:

1 Like

By mechanical or electronic dependence, the operative word here is “passive”. I had a pair of Silencio “Magnum” muffs that were rated at 29, and since I’m primarily a sport/hobby handgunner, they were comfortable, although on the heavy side. 33 - 35 is my goal for passive muffs - replaceable seals would be a nice touch, too.

2 Likes

The Oakley SI or standard Oakley Flak Jacket 2.0 is a pretty good option as well. You can get multiple different lens options, including clear. For ear pro I have been using a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports for years and they are still great. While I haven’t tried them yet, I have been hearing good things about the different Axil GS earbuds.

2 Likes