Shooting with Physical Challenges

I’ve talked with a lot of people over my last few years at the USCCA about shooting with disabilities. Here’s a great article that may help start a deeper conversation about everyone’s training options.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-challenged-shooter-part-i-shooter-status/

How can you use this training for yourself and others?

1 Like

I really like using the Blue Guns with new shooters - it lets them focus on the activity without worry about safety. I especially like it for exploring carry options - what position, what holster, how to manage draw and reholster.

I have movement limitations, but nothing I’d call a real handicap - but I’ve occasionally shot with folks who do. It’s interesting to watch them work through a problem to be solved, experimenting with what they can and can’t do, trying different things to see what works for them. Because they’re already past the novice stage, they do this with practical determination and not much fear, it’s just part of what they have to do in every day life. I can imagine this would be pretty stressful for a novice shooter. My job would be to make sure they’re safe, and that they know they’re safe so they can focus on the task to be sorted out.

Lessons for my own training… what if I’m injured and can’t use my strong hand? can’t use my off-hand for rack, reload, clear? What if I have to use my weak hand to shoot and my strong hand to clear? What if I can’t stand, or move away? What if my strong eye is injured?

Those are all things worth training on.

Another lesson to learn watching someone work thru a “disability” is what if you were to incur an injury. watching someone overcome and compensate for all forms and degrees of disabilities could be a great learning experience

2 Likes

Very good point. You may get injured during a self-defense incident and need to continue to defend yourself! We train for shooting with our non-dominant hand, but watching someone with a physical disability shoot can definitely give us some other ideas for our own training.

1 Like