Shooting with Family

How many of you didn’t grow up with guns and had to learn this as an adult? That was true for me… My dad would have taught me but it made my mom hysterical just thinking about it… so not part of my growing up.

Well its not happening that way for my family any more. Spent this afternoon shooting with my hubby, granddaughter and a couple of her friends… shot two of the Caniks, the 380EZ, the new Bersa, the Rhino, and the purple 10/22… And first day on the range for my great grandbaby… she and her BFF shot her brand new pink BB gun. Raise 'em right. :heart:

24 Likes

Indeed!!!

I was blessed to have my grandfather (OPA) to show me the ropes!
Cute picture! Looks like you guys had some fun!

Oh and by the way Happy New Year @Zee!!!

9 Likes

Good job! Extra points for the pink hearing protection.

3 Likes

:smiley: she’s a pink kinda girl :wink:

3 Likes

Happy New Year Zee. I didn’t grow up with guns either. I grew up in the suburbs, it just wasn’t part of my upbringing, in spite of my family being pro 2A. Glad I picked it up later in life. It’s a heck of a lot of fun, and important in keeping my family safe.

4 Likes

I never shot until after purchasing my first Colt Officer’s model in .380. Didn’t really train until I started as a LEO.

4 Likes

Grew up around shotguns for hunting and .22’s rifle at Boy Scout camp…no handguns until I was an adult though.

I’ve trained the family (wife and both kids) in rifle and handguns (and son in shotgun) and we go out a couple times a year to practice and keeps skills up.

Unfortunately for me they’re not into guns like I am :frowning:

6 Likes

I grew up hunting (bird and game), varmits, and rifle competitions (.22 indoor, and later HP and Palma). Early 20’s I was introduced to handguns, and of course competition for that as well. My mother and father were both shooters, so I started early. :smiley:

My partner did not. Her father was a pistol collector more than a shooter, and women should not shoot guns type of guy. Her mother is a vehement lefty anti-gun person. She started to follow me to my competitions (USPSA and 3gun), then asked if I would teach her. Then asked if I would teach her enough to start competitions. Now she is an avid 3gunner… :smiley: Her father the whole way was against it, until he was very very proud of her. Then she wanted to try hunting big game… yep, hooked on that too. He passed a very proud man of his only child. I still remember him telling her that a 9mm was as big as she should shoot as a woman… which she promptly sent him a video of her ringing steel with my 1911 .45. and clearing the plate rack. LOL

ETA: she reloads her own ammo too. Always makes sure we have plenty… :smiley:

6 Likes

@MarkinMT that’s an awesome evolution :blush:

4 Likes

Good stuff! This year will be the year I start taking my family to the range to teach them about gun safety, fundamentals, and marksmanship.

4 Likes

@Kiest is the polite young man I’ve met starting? :blush: What are you starting him on?

2 Likes

What a pleasant surprise from my wife (Becky) this morning!
Tomorrow is my birthday and we have had plans to meet friends for breakfast to start the day. Before she left for work, Becky started taking about the rest of the day. “What do you think about going bowling, having a few beers there, then go to the range and then out to dinner.”
MY JAW DROPPED!
After pointing out that we should probably reverse the order of throwing balls down a lane and throwing lead down a lane, we came up with a plan. Since the range opens early on Saturday, we can go after breakfast. And, at Becky’s suggestion, she asked me to invite the couple we are going to breakfast with to join us at the range. We are waiting on a reply on that but our day now consists of a morning outing for breakfast and pew pew, have a light lunch and then bowling and beers followed by dinner and drinks. I’ll just need to decide whether we should consider Uber for transportation. I’ll also have to drop the G42 in my range bag for my bride!
It looks like tomorrow is going to be a great day!

6 Likes

Sooo nice to be married to someone who gets you :smiley:
it’s going to be an awesome day!

1 Like

That’s the big deal! Becky is ok with shooting being my thing. She is not really into it. She’s doing it for me! And the couple that might be joining us, my chosen brother, loves shooting but isn’t as obsessed as me. His wife is more like Becky. I had to throw out there that they have a 38 snub kept on a night stand that has never been fired and is longing to feel her soft touch.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday.

3 Likes

I got my first gun (a single shot
410) at age nine. Two of our granddaughters have shot moose. Our oldest granddaughter at age three, sat on Santa’s lap and said, “I would like a Barbie shotgun”.

7 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

@Bill36 I love it… barbie shotgun :blush:

1 Like

Zee, my folks had one handgun, a Walther PPK. We were not much of a firearms family, instead we played sports and did martial arts. When I went to college I started to buy firearms. When my brother became a Chicago police officer, he started to buy firearms. I’m trying to convince my mom to go shooting with her female friends, and to buy a safe, Binelli, and another handgun.

Zee, I sent that email to you that I had been talking about. It still needs a lot more work, and I’ll send an update at the end of January.

3 Likes

Zee, you rock!

I shot guns from a very young age, and I have taught everyone in my family to shoot. Never say never, and never take no for an answer.

3 Likes