Self-Defense Vs. Self-Preservation

What Gun Owners Should Know About Using a Firearm in Self-Defense

A recent Gallop Poll on guns in America indicated that 88% of Americans own firearms for “protection against crime.” That is up 23% from the year 2000. Unfortunately, most gun owners don’t fully understand the ramifications and aftermath of a self-defense shooting. With that said, let’s look at the difference between Self-Defense and Self Preservation, and what gun owners should know about using a firearm for protection.

19 Likes

Interesting reading.

Similar things were mentioned in latest Tom Givens RangeMaster’s newsletter:

[…]
Avoid, Evade, Escape, Deter.
Using defensive force of any kind carries with it inherent risk. No matter
how skilled you are, there is always a risk that you lose. Even when you
win, there is a risk of legal proceedings that may or may not turn out in
your favor. You will win every fight you don’t engage in. Leave your ego at
home. Deterring someone intent may take some verbal engagement. Cops
get “Verbal Judo” training, it would be wise to seek similar education.
You’re unlikely to be as eloquent as usual under duress.
[…]

Sometimes people ready to use the firearm are not aware about self-preservation.

7 Likes

Welcome back, ChadW.

Very true! And is why we advocate holistic training.

1 Like

This also sounds like Steve Tarani’s methodology outlined in his book PreFense. Of course he has since, hired a better writer that has smoothed out the language. But the core meaning is still there.

1 Like

I was a bouncer for 16 yrs and in that 16 yrs I learned a lot. My first job as a bouncer was at a bar called The French Quarter in Hot Springs Arkansas without telling my life story I started dating and marring a dancer there from Germany she ended up having to go back to Germany for family reasons and of course I went with my wife and ended up getting a job there as a bouncer and was told when hired I have a lot to learn. I was lucky enough to be taken under the wing of Sven Marquardt and a lot of what he showed me and way to conduct my self really does apply to firearms and use of force. stuff most people dont think of. Ive always applied what I learned from him in everyday life and in any use of force situations ive been in even if no weapons were involved good way to cya and reading this I was like did they interview Sven? very well written and insightful

1 Like